First Entered 2010
Races Entered 19
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Team History

The Mercedes team history splits into two parts. In 1954 the famous pre-war Silver Arrows entered the F1 world championship and recorded a 1-2 at their first race. Fangio went on to win the drivers championship that year and again in 1955. Mercedes withdrew at the end of the 1955 season after the accident which killed 80 spectators at Le Mans which involved one of their cars.

The current team entered F1 in 2010 after Mercedes bought Brawn Grand Prix. Brawn Grand Prix, winners of the Drivers Championship, with Jenson Button, and the constructor’s championship in 2009, grew out of the ashes of Honda’s F1 entry after Honda had withdrawn from F1 at the end of the 2008 season after only a single Grand Prix win for Button in Hungary 2006.

Prior to the Honda takeover in 2006 the team had raced under the name of British America racing which had acquired the assets and race entry of the Tyrrell F1 team in 1999. BAR competed in 118 races without a single victory. The high points for the team were 2 pole positions (both for Button – San Marino 2004 and Canada 2005) and 2nd in the constructors championship in 2004.

Tyrrell were amongst the most successful private F1 teams taking part in 463 Grands Prix, scoring 33 victories and 3 Drivers Championships, all with Jackie Stewart.

Having replaced Button and Barrichello with Nico Rosberg and 7 times WDC Michael Schumacher many expected great things of the new Mercedes team in 2010 but they had an indifferent season.

Rosberg managed 3 podiums for the team but Schumacher, coming back from retirement, struggled with the new cars, tyres and limited testing under the revised regulations. The team finished 4th in the Constructors Championship.

For 2011 Mercedes retain the same driver line up and are hoping for better things from their MGP W02 chassis.

I am trying to get my head around all this because Lawrence Stroll has put a lot of money into Aston Martin Racing Point already so won't they become the factory Mercedes team then? Or does Lawrence Stroll think he is a Dietrich Mateschitz and throw his money whilst letting people with motorsport nous to run things whilst investing in two teams?

So we will see being plastered on the guys Asprey, Tommy Hilfiger and Michael Kors products then? If Lawrence Stroll does buy into Mercedes then how much influence does he have on who drives for the team?

Hypothetically thinking if Mercedes demand 1 German driver then are going to see the pairing of Vettel and Lance Stroll ? :bangfists::givemestrength::thinking::rolleyes::o Whilst Russell and Ocon might end up at Aston Martin then?

Last edited:
1594931635130.png

Just thought I'd say how pleased I was to see Mercedes embracing their history with the black uniforms for the team and drivers. Took me back to that time in the 1940's when they worked so closely with the German government.

with that social media post going around having ago at Lewis Hamilton. it was interesting to find out that in early 1900's Enzo Ferrari worked for Mussolini. so nobody's perfect

I realise that this has oft been said, but, Bottas is really wasting his seat at Mercedes.

In the 4 years he has been at Mercedes, he has scored 9 victories. Let that sink in for a moment, a driver driving the dominant car in F1 for 4 seasons has scored 9 victories. (In the same car, Hamilton has won 38 races)

Compare that with Rosberg between 2014 and 2016 - 20 race victories (Hamilton won 31 in that same time)

Yes, Mercedes don't run a 1st/2nd driver policy, they just have a 1st and 2nd driver on talent. Bottas was regularly slower than Felipe Massa... who let's be fair was only about as good as a rookie Lance Stroll

Yes, Mercedes don't run a 1st/2nd driver policy, they just have a 1st and 2nd driver on talent. Bottas was regularly slower than Felipe Massa... who let's be fair was only about as good as a rookie Lance Stroll
Perhaps but at least their second driver is capable of out qualifying and out racing his team mate one time out of 4. That cannot be said of Ferrari or Red Bull.

Last edited:
Perhaps but at least their second driver is capable of out qualifying and out racing his team mate one time out of 4. That cannot be said of Ferrari or Red Bull.
Oh, you’ll see I’m consistent. I also think that Vettel should have been dropped at the end of last year, and that Red Bull should have moved heaven and earth to get someone like Ricciardo in the other car.

ted kravitz has had a fascinating graphic about dominance of cars Appartantly in the last 32 years, 1988 - 2004 between the Ferrari f2004 only found 2 seconds on the Mclaren MP4/4. but in next 16 years 2004 - 2020 the Mercedes W11 found 5 seconds of performance on the Ferrari f2004

well im assuming they have the gps traces from the teams. & just from the stats you can see Hungarian GP poles
1988 - 102.74 mph
2004 - 122.88 mph
2020 - 132.25 mph

The object of an April Fool joke is that it is believable, there have been some classics in the past including a BBC one showing spaghetti trees which fooled millions, that photo could be believable to many but a quick check on the properties would indicate its source, technology ruins a good try
LOL

I do remember it was on a B&W 14" screen, on 405 lines lousy grey scale due to the vagaries of the signal including ghosting which helped to make it more believableLOL

The object of an April Fool joke is that it is believable, there have been some classics in the past including a BBC one showing spaghetti trees which fooled millions, that photo could be believable to many but a quick check on the properties would indicate its source, technology ruins a good try
LOL
ill admit as well, it was best of bad bunch, google didnt help no other picture would work. i couldnt find any other picture of contract signing.

Back
Top Bottom