McLaren's flexing front wing

tranquility2k9

Podium Finisher
I've been away on holiday for the past week. Just got back and I've seen talk of McLaren having a flexing front-wing at Valencia that Charlie Whiting is looking into? Anyone on here seen footage of this?

Here is an article Scarbs has written on it including a reply from Charlie:- http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/mclaren-european-gp-wing-movement/

What I am pretty annoyed about is how Charlie has seemingly told McLaren to change this clever, innovative concept, based purely on pictures and video footage, as it passed all of the scrutineering tests. Yet Red Bull's front-wing has been flexing for well over a year now, at times a ridiculous amount, obviously seen via video footage and pictures, yet Charlie always just said it passes the rig tests so its legal? So why for McLaren is it 1 rule and he asks them to make a change based on videos/pics, whereas for Red Bull, he pays a blind eye. :s

Sure McLaren's hinge-like flex is very obvious to see from the videos and certain animated gif images, but they purposely left a camera there so they are not trying to hide anything. Im pretty sure they thought, like all of us did now, that if it passes the tests then it's legal, but apparently not now McLaren do it! haha typical FIA. Fancy a 100 million dollar fine anyone?

If Mclaren get penalised for this it will start another major saga because Mclaren will ensure Red Bull won't escape with it.

To say that video is "less than conclusive" would be an understatement. And I think "flexing" would be the wrong term for this supposed movement anyway. I eagerly await Charlie's "interpretation".

It strikes me that *If* McLaren have deliberately sailed a big sewage tanker through the rules here, they are trying to make a point... (And not a very subtle point at that!!!)

The video clip is not worthy of being mentioned, we should all remember the race was in Spain and anything produced about McLaren and Hamilton in Spain should be looked upon with suspicion.
The Video clip shows shadows, nothing more, they must be desperate in Spain to be chasing shadows.

Do Red Bull still have a flexing front wing? I remember at the start of the season they had, but I have not seen any shots after the first few races where everyone was whinging. :s

And is this article for real? I highly doubt it, but it's Scarbs so :dunno:

Why would McLaren want to reduce downforce at high speeds? Unless to lose the drag on the straights but it would harm them in the corners.

Don't think it will harm them in the corners if I am honest, but I am not a techincal dude so I can't be sure

I had to watch it a few times. There's a curved line which runs down to the transition of the supports and the wing plane. If you look at where the black and silver parts meet, just when the light moves across the wing, you can see a gap which opens and closes.

Hope that makes sense.

I would like to know what these scrutineers are upto then, do they perform the tests drunk or something? :snigger:

All the teams run different wings for Monza.In fact most teams run several wing configurations during the season as each wing configuration is in accordance the track requirements and characteristics.

All the teams run different wings for Monza.In fact most teams run several wing configurations during the season as each wing configuration is in accordance the track requirements and characteristics.

Although HRT didn't last year, having only one wing.

Monza is going to be interesting with regards to teams being fast in qualifying due to DRS then falling back in the race.

Back
Top Bottom