McLaren to promote from within?

I think that bringing new drivers through is a good thing, however, in this era of no testing, I think it would be wise not to put all the eggs in one basket, and whilst Jenson may not be Lewis the best on the grid, he is a safe pair of hands, who has proven in 3 years at McLaren that he can win races (McLaren investing in the technical side of things will help in the long term more than a change of drivers imho)

I would see about a placement either at FI or Marussia as a proving ground, with a view to upgrade.

If you ran Magnusson next year and he was good, and you were looking to rebuild the team for the future. You want a fast young driver to build the team round who do you sign? Button who is nearing 40, not brill at set up and likes a perfect car. Or Magnussen who is young fast and hungry. I don't think it's so stupid. I tell you what I'd do next year, put Kevin and the Hulk in and see what happens. A proven fast young guy to measure Kevin against and a partnership to move forward with.

Jenson is the only reason Mclaren have any results at all this year so yes it would be plain stupid. Plus if you take a gamble on a youngster its much better to have an experienced head on hand for them to learn from.

The placement thing is prob right The Pits but as the only driver I've seen in the junior formula this year who I think could mix it up at the front in F1 I'd love to see Mclaren take a gamble.

All this pushing Magnursen and I've been cheering on Van Dorne all year! Sometimes you can't deny class when you see it though.

I think that being where they are this season is as good a reason as any to NOT take a risk, 2015 is the risk year, although they would need at least one established driver to balance things.

You don't think 2014, as a building year would be the perfect time to blood a rookie with no pressure? Having Jenson to grab the eye catching results whilst they get all their learning and mistakes done to be fully up to speed for the big Honda push in 2015?

It is a long shot. This whole not confirming Perez thing is odd though isn't it?

The Perez situation is odd, I grant you.

Next season, I do not think they can afford a repeat of this season. They are making technical changes, which is good, however, new regs, off the back of the worst season for a while, I would be looking to get Hulkenberg, or a similar established driver alongside Button to consolidate, then replace one of them in 2015 or 2016 depending on outcome. I do not think that McLaren could afford too many bad seasons in a row.

Almost like they knew we were discussing it over here

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/mclaren-force-india-want-formula-2356685

Whitmarsh talking about getting BOTH Magnursen and Van Dorne into F1 stating they've tried Force India, Marussia and the Enstone team and that they'll find a way.

From the quotes it does look like Bob Fernley it does look like Force India are interested.

Is this maybe why they are stalling on the Perez situation? Is it maybe because if they can't find them a seat they're going to just take a gamble and go with them?

The Perez situation is odd, I grant you.

Next season, I do not think they can afford a repeat of this season. They are making technical changes, which is good, however, new regs, off the back of the worst season for a while, I would be looking to get Hulkenberg, or a similar established driver alongside Button to consolidate, then replace one of them in 2015 or 2016 depending on outcome. I do not think that McLaren could afford too many bad seasons in a row.

A fundamental problem is having two drivers who aren't particularly great over one lap so it's difficult to realise the ultimate performance of the car. Chandock remarked during practice in Korea how Perez's relatively poor single lap pace could be his undoing. I'd be very surprised if either driver is retained beyond next year. We know McLaren have simply taken up the extra option on Jenson's contract after a fair amount of dithering. Both drivers are regularly fighting over the same piece of tarmac for superiority and it's easy to see what the problem is.

Is it just a slump that needs no more explanation than it's just a slump but for argumentative reasons it needs to be pinned on the drivers, and on one driver in particular, is that it?

I'm right aren't I? You minxes you....

Okay my go....:)

Last edited:
You do fear that if Perez gets only half a chance to prove himself, so will Magnusson or Vandoorne.

But who knows who'll have the best engine next year!

Mclaren have 1 year exclusive use of Honda engines so they really need to smarten themselves up now

Therefore they had better get the best suited people to show Honda they mean business

RasputinLives

Mclaren could give Van Doorne or Magnussen if Force India were intending to use Mclaren parts as well and be willing to offer them discount on buying the parts

Force India are the nearest Mclaren will get to having a junior team for them to run young drivers

I think the one year exclusive deal for McLaren is more down to Honda dipping a toe back into F1 to see if it is a viable option for them rather than their feelings about McLarens situation at present...

That will become clear when we find out how the various engines perform one thing is for certain Ferrari and Merc will be stuck with whatever they produce the rest can chose what they want...

Kevin Magnussen clinched the World Series title at with a win in Barcelona yesterday in the second to last race of the season.

Both Derek Warrick and Jacques Lafette were waxing lyrical about him and their does appear to be a huge buzz round him. It was suggested Ron Dennis was around the paddock as well but that could be BS.

Even more tempted to put a few pennies on him being in that Mclaren seat next year now. So much so I might write him his own thread.

I'd like to see McLaren replace Perez with Hulkenburg for 2012 and find Magnussen a seat at one of the lower teams, obviously Marussia is the most likely one. Do McLaren have any links at all with Force India anymore? I wouldn't be bitterly dissapointed if Magnussen replaced Di Resta.

And leave Vandoorne in the world series for another season.

Back
Top Bottom