Martin Whitmarsh

Well he's the man that's incharge at Mclaren but what do we all really know about the man named Martin Whitmarsh?

Well i can tell you that he has a degree in Mechanical Engineering. He started his career at British Aerospace (best known as BAE systems these days) as a structural analyst engineer at Hamble-le-Rice.

But in 1989 he was joined Mclaren as Head of Operations. In 1997 he was then promoted to Managing Directors role in which he was in charge of the F1 operation and it's partners and sponsors. In 2004 Martin was again promoted this time his position was CEO of the companies F1 operations.

It wasn't until the 1st March 2009 when Ron Dennis was stepping down from his position, as Team principal that Whitmarsh was promoted into that position.

Ever since Mclaren have had the following Championship standings since 2009:

2009: 3rd
2010: 2nd
2011: 2nd

All and all Whitmarsh's teams have been constitantly improving and he'll produce a championship winning team.

But why does Whitmarsh divide F1 fans opinions of him? Is it because he's not the loud and bouncing team principal that others are? Or is it the fact that he's not as good as Ron Dennis?

Merc's only been around 3 yrs. If you include the Brawn team theyre equal. ove rthe last 10 years. Now if you look at championships ascribed to the current team principal, then its a whole different picture what is it, 8 to Brawn, nil to Whitmarsh? and thats just the WDC alone.I know Brawn's been principal for longer but thats a mighty impressive record over three different racing teams.

Ross Brawn has only been team principle for 1 word title. if you include all the Ferrari and Benneton one's then I'm afraid you're going to have to include all the Mclaren one's where Whitmarsh was in the garage too. I'm not sure if you are aware of this but Martin Whitmarsh has been Managing Director responsible for F1 Operations at Mclaren since 1997. he actually managed Lewis through his junior career.

Ross Brawn has indeed won one title as team principle with a brilliant designed car driven to perfection by Jenson Button.

He was also involved in the Honda Earth Car.

Keep chasing that tail but you won't catch it.

How in the name of all that is holy was Martin Whitmarsh supposed to win 8 WDCs in 4 years of management?
Well no, I know he couldnt, ROFL Well he actually could if you included WDC's and WCC's. But I get your point, Still beating Whitmarsh, and he was heavily involved in the Schumacher wins and team building.
Rasputini really? did he manage Lewis?? I must have been so busy chasing my tail that it slipped my mind, but yes, its coming back to me now, he was the one who ripped up the contact wasnt he.

Ffs could we please leave Marty alone! He, like everyone else, is doing what he thinks (in conjunction with others) is best for 'his' team - right or wrong. Hamilton has gone and, I suspect, MW is looking forward to a quieter and more successful time next season - only once that commences can you get your bloody canes out again.

Well no, I know he couldnt, ROFL Well he actually could if you included WDC's and WCC's. But I get your point, Still beating Whitmarsh, and he was heavily involved in the Schumacher wins and team building.
Rasputini really? did he manage Lewis?? I must have been so busy chasing my tail that it slipped my mind, but yes, its coming back to me now, he was the one who ripped up the contact wasnt he.

Yes he did in order to stop Anthony Hamilton pushing him in to GP2 too early which proved to be the exact right decision as Lewis waited a year then moved to GP2, won the blooming thing and came into F1 with the experience he needed. Oh what a disaster Whitmarsh made of it.

I think having such hatred for a man you know very little about on the back of things you assume happen is very ugly. I'm sure Mr Whitmarsh is not perfect but to hear you speak he's the devil incarnate and I find the whole witch hunt thing rather objectionable if I'm honest.

I know the ins and outs of the contract ripping session. I was the person who posted the information when evidence was requested by people who didnt believe the incident happened.
This is the Martin Whitmarsh Thread, its where we discuss his ineptitudes and celebrate his success. I dont see a lot to celebrate. He nearly lost lewis hamilton once and now he has. He should have tied up both championships this season and he hasnt. This year Mclaren have been inept under his leadership. Thats my view of him. I accept others will differ and I respect their right to do so. But please allow me the same courtesy. Dont tell me what I can and cannot think or say about Whitmarsh.

*sigh* racecub I'm not telling you that you can't have your opinion but over the last few days I've seen threaterns of violence, questions regarding his sexuality and all sorts of insults levelled at him.

Dislike him if you like but please remember he manages an F1 team - he doesn't kill babies.

I know the ins and outs of the contract ripping session. I was the person who posted the information when evidence was requested by people who didnt believe the incident happened.

it was public knowledge this happened so not sure what you're on about there and also you miss my point again. You say you know the in's and outs but you don't. Unless you are Martin Whitmarsh or Lewis Hamilton you don't. You just have a read a thirdhand version of events and drawn your own conclusions from it. Like I said the fact that Hamilton went on to be GP2 champion and F1 world champion in his second F1 season is all the evidence I need to show that Whitmarsh didn't do a bad job on managing him. Anything else isn't actual fact its interpretation.

I know he doesnt kill babies, i never suggested he does, just a bad F1 manager, which is why he is discussed on here. It may have been public knowledge about the contract, but when it was mentioned some time ago evidence was requested and I supplied it. Regarding 'in's and out's', I dont profess to know any more facts than were made public by Whitmarsh himself, Im just pointing out to you that I am aware of the incident as you seeemed to think I wasnt.

"i never suggested he does, just a bad F1 manager, which is why he is discussed on here."

He is discussed on here because he is the boss of one of the top three teams in F1, NOT because he is 'a bad F1 manager'!

The fact that some posters have turned it into the 'How crap is Martin Whitmarsh and he truly is Hamilton's nemesis thread' is neither here nor there.

Jen Yes, I phrased it badly, sorry. He's discussed on here because he's an F1 manager. I think he's a bad one, others think he's great. But he's discussed because recent F1 news has him featuring largely and this is an F1 forum to discuss things about F1. If we all agreed, there'd be no point having a forum. I dont deny Lewis may be a 'difficult to manage' driver, probably is, but he's not the first, and he wont be the last 'difficult to manage' driver.Lewis is paid to deliver on the track, Whitmarsh is paid to manage and he hasnt managed well.

Back
Top Bottom