Mark Webbers Silverstone Comments

MCLS

Anti F1 fan
Valued Member
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85419

He's still standing by his comments after the race when he said, "not bad for a number 2 driver". He also says that there is no ill feeling in the team and the relationship is fine. To be honest I can't see it lasting, and if something similar to Turkey or Silverstone happens, the reprocutions could be disastarious. I wonder if Webber regrets signing the contract extension? He said that if he knew that if he knew something similar to 'front-wing' gate had have happened he wouldnt have signed the deal

I must admit I do like Mark's forthright attitude. It's refreshing in an age of corporate identi-clones :D

The problem with Red Bull over the last month or so is they handled the initial problem in Turkey extremely badly.
Different members of the team were saying different things to the press. Then everyone changed their stance and then there was yet more briefing from the management, etc. "clarifying" the situation.

Wing-gate just compounded the issue.

I've already said that I think the team is fractured now and I can't see it working well for the rest of the season.

The problem is, there were very few choices available to Mark; possibly Renault or Mercedes but they would both be a step back.

McLarenSupremo said:
I wonder if Webber regrets signing the contract extension?

Not if he wins the World Title.

It did make a refreshing change to hear a driver speak out when he feels aggrieved and for once stand by those comments a few days later. On more than one occasion I've heard drivers have a rant in the heat of the moment and then a week later (normally after a good telling off from the team) go before the press and say "it was all heat of the moment, everything was fine and dandy blah blah blah".

The relationship between the two drivers at RBR will provide a fascinating sub plot in the second half of the season and McLaren must be rubbing their hands together with glee because at the end of the day they are set to benefit from any falling out between the two RBR guys. (That is of course providing they can keep their own house in order).

I'm glad Webber recognises his place LOL

I don't know if anyone else noticed at the post race press conference when asked how the weekend had gone Hamilton said something along the lines of "Great job by the team, even (my italics) Jenson did a good job". Freudian slip?

I can't believe that Webber is regretting signing a contract extension. With Neway at the design helm so to speak, it is a fairly decent likelihood that the RBR car will be a championship challenging again next season, especially as we are loosing the double diffuser, and typically Adrain excels with rule changes.

Mark will be thinking that realistically if he can take this years WDC, he could be a double world champion by the beginning of 2012, and then have a go for that Ferrari seat.

His murmurings in the media have got him exactly what he wanted, that is driver parity, and enough media exposure to know that RedBull are not able to favour either driver.

I'd agree that the situation at RedBull is not ideal, but I think that after the weeks of procrastination and several media booboo's that they have finally got things in hand.

I think things will be more settled now, unless of course they take each other off the track again...

McLaren must be rubbing their hands together with glee because at the end of the day they are set to benefit from any falling out between the two RBR guys. (That is of course providing they can keep their own house in order).

Well they saw themselves how 2 drivers squabbling can endager a championship, i.e 2007 Hamilton and Alonsos infighting allowed Kimi in to win the Championship (yes i know there were other reasons, but it was a major factor)

FB said:

I don't know if anyone else noticed at the post race press conference when asked how the weekend had gone Hamilton said something along the lines of "Great job by the team, even (my italics) Jenson did a good job". Freudian slip?

I think that was meant to be a reference to JB's qualifying, and the subsequently better race result, rather than any slight on his efforts.

Muddytalker said:
FB said:

I think that was meant to be a reference to JB's qualifying, and the subsequently better race result, rather than any slight on his efforts.
+1

Yes, I think it was meant as a compliment to Jenson's having turned 14th into 4th. There was no grin or smirk or wink when he said it.

While i agree that the press have overblown it (just so that they could get a juicy story), there are cracks there and they are widening. Another row and it could be terminal

Overblown by the press? :nah: Too many episodes of bad air between the drivers.

No amount of "Red Bull" spin, will fool anyone into thinking that the air has cleared up between Vettel and Webber. You just have to look at the body language of the two...

...the word on Australian streets, is that Webber and Vettel have both been offered lucrative contracts with Channel 5's soap "Neighbours" (if it all goes pear shaped with RBR), their acting has been so wooden. ;)

Between now and Monza it is going to seriously kick off, and it can only mean Webber leaving because Vettel is the wonder boy of Red Bull

Back
Top Bottom