Marcus Ericsson

2014 was always supposed to be the year Marcus Ericsson came into F1 but it was all suppose to be done so differently. In the pre 2013 season it was announced, in a big blaze of glory, that Ericsson had signed for DAMS for the 2013 GP2 series and would be their lead driver. DAMS had secured the last two GP2 drivers championships and the already rated Ericsson would drive in the number 1 car in what was sure to be a dazzling championship season before his all out assault on F1 in 2014. Unfourtunatly it didn't happen like that as his car started the season by falling apart and he continued it by managing to find accidents and,while he scored a couple of impressive results, 6th in the GP2 championship must have been gutting. It wasn't that the speed wasn't there as he continued to score poles and fastest laps, it was just for some reason the results would not come.

Ericsson was born on September 2nd 1990 in Kumla, Sweden. Like most drivers he started his career in karts and this is where he came to the attention of 1999 indy 500 winner Kenny Brack who has been Financing his career ever since. Ericsson won Formula BMW, Won the Japanese F3 series, and got rookie of the year racing for Raikonens team in British F3. He even tested the Brawn F1 car at the young drivers test in 2009.

Ericsson came into GP2 in 2010 scoring a victory (and not much else) in his first year. In 2011 he drove for Isport and was outclassed by Sam Bird but in 2012 he strung together a brilliant second half of the season which meant he went in to 2013 as the favourite for the title.

So Ericsson's banner year didn't happen but he's still found his way into F1 but lets not underestimate the guy, he's quick and he loves a scrap. I can't wait to see him wheel banging with Kobi! However I just get the feeling that Ericsson is the sort of driver who will be half a lap away from a great result before a pigeon some how flies into his visor causing him to spin off rather than a future champion.

I have no doubt that Ericsson's Kimi like attitude and pace on Saturdays will win him some fans on Apex (I know Slyboogy has a soft spot for him already) but I have to warn you this driver just might break your heart.

Been just as underwelmed by Ericsson's start to this years F1 season as I was to his start to his GP2 season last year.

He appears to be able to talk the talk whilst failing to walk the walk.

I will wait another a couple of races before I start my 'Ericsson out. Frinjs in' campaign though (maybe).

Whilst its been completely overshadowed my Marussia scoring points at Monaco today lets just point out that Marcus Ericsson has just equaled the best placed finish in a Caterham this afternoon by finishing 11th.

Only other person to do that was Petrov.

Whilst he made an error in quali he was error free in the race so he has to get a bit of a pat on the back.

Bet he regrets Bianchi getting past though.

No one has talked about this much but Mr Ericsson was nearly a second slower in qualifying than his new boy team mate who hadn't driven an F1 car in 9 years!

Not great Marcus. I'm thinking you might be discarded to the 'drivers no one remembers' pile with Caterhams driver before you Van Der Garde.

At least he got a thread on CTA though - Van Der Garde never did.

He couldn't hold Chilton at bay in the race either - bleurgh. Lucky for him Lotterer retired early I suspect.

teabagyokel well it worked with Bottas and Bianchi but I think we have our work cut out with Frinjs as he's been out of the limelight for about 2 seasons now and others are more prominent. I'm already considering campaigns for Vandorne, Marchellio and JEV.

As for Marcus Ericsson - What can I say thats nice? I'd rather see him in the seat that Sergio Canamasas?

"At the moment I want to establish myself as a Formula One driver. That's my number one goal and to make sure that I'm staying here for many years, but then of course as a racer you want to win. There's no question about that, so that's the ultimate goal."

I often wonder why drivers who claim to be "racers" are happy to drive round in a crappy car at the back of the field just because it's F1. I'm sure Ericsson could be challenging at the front in DTM, LMP2 or WTCC rather than looking like a bit of a tit in F1.

Back
Top Bottom