Technical Lotus ride-height system banned

Back on topic...

The fact that the FIA approved this last year and then reconfirmed it earlier this year, just confirms that they have now banned it due to pressure from one or more teams.

This practice has to stop; Lotus' whole design is now compromised, having been given the green light last year to use the system, their car is based around it. It is way too late now to do a complete re-design.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lotus are considering challenging it, possibly in the courts.

From what I can see with this and last year's Silverstone farce, the technical veto which Ferrari had is alive and kicking, it's just owned by a different team.

Meanwhile Red Bull's super-flexi ground-scraping front wing is still legal...

Back on topic...

The fact that the FIA approved this last year and then reconfirmed it earlier this year, just confirms that they have now banned it due to pressure from one or more teams.

This practice has to stop; Lotus' whole design is now compromised, having been given the green light last year to use the system, their car is based around it. It is way too late now to do a complete re-design.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lotus are considering challenging it, possibly in the courts.

From what I can see with this and last year's Silverstone farce, the technical veto which Ferrari had is alive and kicking, it's just owned by a different team.

Yep, I just can't put as much respect into Red-Bull/Vettel championships while they are allowed to get away with this sort of stuff

Back on topic...

Didn't see much flex last year with the RB7. Ferrari on the other hand in New Delhi was massive flexing and that was legal.

But indeed their decision to ban it now is quite late. Such decisions should be made at the beginning of a season for next years car that is.

If Red Bull had pioneered the system do you reckon it would have been outlawed? :dunno: Something tells me I don't think it would......
Everyone would still be scratching their heads wondering what it is/how it is done/criticising its appearance at the end of the 2012 season. Getting confirmation of legality from Charlie Whiting is a mugs game. The FIA's stooge is an imbecile at best, an evil, malignant force at worst...

Back on topic...

I am quite sure that they will.If they supplied the FIA with the patent drawings and also have in writing approval from the FIA I am sure that they will challenges the ban in court.And I think that they will win that.
Double diffuser all over again.

Here's a thought; the Lotus system was legal, the system Ferrari proposed wasn't. The FIA banned it in it's entirety to avoid any embarrassment to the Scuderia?

So yes, I did post it last night (edited the post to credit the source of the rumour).
Not sure why you felt the need to pick up on it really :dunno:
Only because I didn't really see the need for your post which, rather than adding anything to the debate, seemed to be merely saying to Greenlantern, "I mentioned it here last night, so why are you creating a new post for old news?", whereas I felt that Greenlantern's post was bringing new and worthwhile information to the subject which I for one had not heard, not having seen the comments in the other thread.
So if that's not what your motivation was, then I humbly apologise.

Firstly I thought that ride in flight height adjustment wasn't legal anyway and secondly ride height is crucial for aerodynamics so adjusting it would come under movable aerodynamics which apart from DRS is not allowed.

As it has now been banned under my second point I'm amazed it was sanctioned by the FIA in the first place...

I can see that the FIA want to avoid the the situation of teams starting the season under investigation as per the double defuser protests of 09 far better to sort it now..

Only because I didn't really see the need for your post which, rather than adding anything to the debate, seemed to be merely saying to Greenlantern, "I mentioned it here last night, so why are you creating a new post for old news?", whereas I felt that Greenlantern's post was bringing new and worthwhile information to the subject which I for one had not heard, not having seen the comments in the other thread.
So if that's not what your motivation was, then I humbly apologise.

Have to say I agree with chad. I knew this post existed but given the large implications I believed it deserved its own post. When big news is hidden in an old post people miss it.

Moving on.

I guess we will hear in the next few days why the system was banned. Seems really weird to approve something then ban it. Lotus are right now on their back foot trying to rework their whole suspension with 2 weeks to the first test. You have to say that is hugely unfair. They are told its fine then 2 weeks before the seasons first test they have it taken away. Me if I was Lotus I would be taking the FIA to court.

Well someone is making a fuss about this system or it wouldn't have been banned, and with Red Bull recently stating they they are sure about the benefits of the system and might not event develop it, Ferrari don't seem to bothered either which is strange because they were fast to catch this and it would have been a major positive for a team who's technical prowess has been lacking in recent years.

Perhaps Red Bull protested about the system because they feared they couldn't make it work. Ferrari not kicking up a fuss is unusual for them, however both the teams did recently leave FOTA not long ago, perhaps the promise of preferential treatment may have lead to that...

Have to say I agree with chad. I knew this post existed but given the large implications I believed it deserved its own post. When big news is hidden in an old post people miss it.

Moving on.

I guess we will hear in the next few days why the system was banned. Seems really weird to approve something then ban it. Lotus are right now on their back foot trying to rework their whole suspension with 2 weeks to the first test. You have to say that is hugely unfair. They are told its fine then 2 weeks before the seasons first test they have it taken away. Me if I was Lotus I would be taking the FIA to court.

I read on the bbc that the system is banned because it has been found that its primary function is aerodynamic and not car stability under braking which the two teams told the FIA was supposed to be its function.

Back
Top Bottom