Lotus are back!

Sit in where?

Hethal, Norfolk.

I've been having another look around the web to try and find out a bit more info.

It would seem that David Hunt did sell the name/rights to Team Lotus to the Litespeed entry. Now Mike Gascgoyne was involved in that attempt at an entry. Since that entry failed it would seem that MG has gone on to try and get the name back on the grid this time with backing or support from Proton.

Remember when it was announced that Litespeed would use the Lotus name then Group Lotus were quick to say that they would take action to protect the Lotus name.

I'm now wondering if Litespeed hold the rights or if these were passed on to MG and his company.

Now there could be a bit more substance to this entry than first thought.

I agree that the most important thing for me is the legacy of Lotus. Had the statement today been along the lines of Lotus cars announcing that they in company with Proton had re-aquired the rights to the team name and that MG was going to run a semi works entry from Norfolk I would now be doing flip flops around the room. As it is I am going to wait until more information hits the papers to judge where all this is going.

There has been some precedent with teams in the past having dropped out then come back. Honda, Brabham and Renault to name 3 so we will have to wait and see what sort of return this will be.

On another note I have read that Lotus (still sounds strange saying that !!) have short listed 6 drivers including international and Malayan and that an announcement will be made sometime in October as to who will be driving for the team.

Brogan said:
Well with the no testing rule I fail to see how any new team which isn't ready within the next month or 2 is going to be in a position to compete next year.
Are we going to see cars which are double digits off the pace?

While I am quite happy with the influx of new teams I am a bit concerned that it will be very difficult for these new teams to put something together that will be competitive as even McLaren and Ferrari struggled with the package for half a season before becoming competitive again. I hope it doesn't split the field into two groups, the old guard vs the new...

O_Danny_Boy said:
I hope it doesn't split the field into two groups, the old guard vs the new...
That's my fear also.

I hope whoever takes over the FIA later this year reviews the situation with regards to testing.
These new teams are going to need all the help they can get to even get anywhere close to the current runners.

It's a shame that the huge sweeping rule changes at the start of this season weren't introduced at the same time as the new teams because then everyone would have had to start on a similar footing.

Having just written that I thought to myself that the new team influx was meant to coincide with Max's two part plan any way where the new boys would have had almost un-restricted development in return for a budget cap and cosworth.

With all that gone and with less than 6 months to turn out two fully competative cars into a series where all your rivals have had one year of testing of their chasis can mean only one thing. 6 hopeless cars stuck at the back of the grid in a private battle to avoid the "Luca Badoer Cup".

Here's a funny thought that could happen with this years driver merry go round.

What price on the two Lotus drivers being Senna and Nakajima?

Some how I doubt that the Piquet / Nakajima partnership will now be likely LOL

Piquet and Nakajima in the same team?

Is this for F1 or Billy Smart's Circus? LOL

Not sure if you've seen this.

Lotus is expected to announce its two drivers at the end of October, and Fernandes has insisted that, despite the Malaysian support for the team, there was no need for it to run home grown talent.

Instead, he thinks the team's efforts would be best served by bringing on board an experienced F1 driver.

"My personal preference would be to try to get someone with lots of experience, even though he may be ending his career, who can add a lot of experience and develop the car," he added.
Hmmm, wonder who he could mean?
Trulli? Barrichello? Webber? Fisichella? Piquet? LOL

[bg=#E3001A]Autosport[/bg] Lotus boss plans to step down soon

He can't be referring to Fisichella or Webber, they're both under contract for 2010 at Ferrari Reserves and Red Bull respectively.

Barrichello, Heidfeld, Trulli... who knows?

teabagyokel said:
He can't be referring to Fisichella or Webber, they're both under contract for 2010 at Ferrari Reserves and Red Bull respectively.

Barrichello, Heidfeld, Trulli... who knows?

I believe Ferrari have given permission for Fisi to take a full time drive if one is offered. - Aah yes, here it is Another Autosport link

Well, that gives Fisi a chance to drive for one of the low end teams quite pointlessly for a season rather than kick back, put his shades on and take his Scuderia salary. :goodday:

Maybe I should have put "Lazy test driver" as one of my options on the poll on the other thread. :oops: We'll live!

Trying to see the good and bad points in this.

Good points.

1) JV has experience and should attract some sponsorship.

Bad Points.

1) Let's be honest the car isn't going to be at the sharp end of things. JV isn't exactly insperational when it comes to team motivation so if things go pair shaped the fastest speed he's likely to reach is towards the exit door.

2) While his name may bring money, JV has never come cheap so most of that money could be heading straight back to him.

3) Anyone remember Alan Jones?

next to your "Sing-a-long with Lotus" album?

Alas it's not an Album only a single. "The Champions" b/w "Workin' al' nighter".
(signed by Hazel Chapman, Emerson Fittipaldi and Eddie Dennis)

:thankyou:

Mike Gascoyne says the the new Lotus is on schedule and will be ready for testing at the third test of the winter at Jerez! :bored:

I'm guessing they can still just about manage to get 16 days of testing in but it's going to be a tight schedule.

Any testing is better than none I guess.

Let's be honest. None of the new teams are going to set the world on fire. No one knows if the Cosworth will be any better than a kettle. This isn't the championship rules they signed up to, all thoough in Lotus's case they new this since they signed up after the budget cap/free development regs had already gone. It's going to be a long hard slog for them all.

Anyone heard anything from Yorkshire ??

Just been having a nosey around the Proton Lotus website and found this:

Lotus Racing today confirmed that the long awaited launch of the 2010 Lotus Formula 1 racing car will take place on the 12th of February in central London.

The Royal Horticultural Hall has been selected by the team as the perfect venue to unveil one of the sporting world's most eagerly anticipated new challengers and an audience of 400 guests, including all staff of the newly formed team, will be the first to see the livery of the new Lotus Racing car.

Nice and easy for anyone living in Docklands to get to ;)

Back
Top Bottom