Liberty Media buy F1

yes ive said before comparing between cricket in 2005 on terrestrial tv, because you look at how huge that summer was for cricket, 8m is unheard of viewing figures. it was front page & back page news. open top bus & flintoff got a tv career of the back of it. whereas behind the paywall England win 3-0 Joe root was man of series. it barely made a dent in national news. that is worrying that f1 is going the same way

also I'm interesting in the viewing figures for Q3 & post qualifying. how big the own goal was. because according to gary lineker the viewing figures for Sweden quarter final was 19.7m & it had a TV share of 88%

There was a group of us who were chatting in the clubhouse one day when someone came in and asked if we would mind answering a few questions. It turned out to be one of those pollsters who ask toy what TV programme you were watching at a particular time.

This was about the previous day, we had been running one of our most important golf tournaments of the year and had all been busy with that, So quite possibly the FA Cup final viewing figures were down a bit that year.:no:

As we know there has been sort of promised that there will be rules coming out to limit the amount of aero in future. But was Silverstone the place where another change has started which will spread ad infinitum; I refer, of course, to the extension of DRS. Is the final aim to have DRS over the whole race and to be used at the will of the driver? It could be that it would reduce the turbulence even more and actually have a reverse effect making it to be avoided if there is someone who is close behind you.

It is late at night, after all.

I've long said that drivers should be free to use DRS wherever and whenever they like.

Some said it wouldn't be safe.
I think it will encourage mistakes: and mistakes make good racing.

When DRS was first introduced drivers were able to use it anywhere on track during qualification. It was stopped on safety grounds. I agree it, if we have to suffer its use in F1 then it should be available anywhere at anytime.

The thing is, it was brought in as an acceptable alternative to the F-duct (I've just noticed the schoolboy joke now I've written it :) ); and that could be used anywhere.

Oh crap. So first F1 runs out of cigarette money, they it goes to the banks until the arse falls out of that. Now we have in-play and spot betting. I wonder how long it will be before we have the first staged overtake, corner miss or botched pitstop as one of the back marker teams looks to get a bit of extra cash.

This can only end badly.

Notice they waited until after Alonso has announced his retirement to do this, just saying......

Seriously though, I can't see how this can be a good thing at all. It's asking for trouble and far too open to abuse.

F1 owners will be getting cut (probably) from gambling pot and we are suppose to believe they will not have any interest in how races develop?

Is it too late for Ecclestone to return money and start all over? Sounds like a good idea right now.

Last edited:
They were talking about a £100 million deal which sounds a lot but given the total budget of all the F1 teams is reckoned to add up to 2.6 billion, its a drop in the ocean.

seems a good idea, as the data has got to such levels that F1 teams almost know to the kilometre how long a tyre will last. & like 90's 00's you need the race to be at some point a voyage into the unknown thats what keep the suspense because they has been a few races this where its been "close" but you know what going to happen because sheer amount of data the teams have collected. their is no are the tyres / engines / gearbox going to last because they will

F1 should discuss reducing teams' data at races - Ross Brawn

There may be different reasons for the race being tight.

1) Ferrari got their mojo back.

2) Because of the state of play in the WDC Ferrari tried something different which would mean that Raikkonen would be sacrificed and they hoped that Vettel would get pole.

3) As a result Raikkonen had enough of an advantage with the tyres that he was into the first corner in the lead.

3) The Mercedes has not been optimised for being in dirty air so their tyres suffered; their leading driver normally runs a long way in the first stint which gives them a big advantage later in the race.

4) Mercedes realised that they were unlikely to be do a single stopper without Hamilton being vulnerable in the last few laps.

5) The virtual safety car was five laps too early but it was the only chance they had.

6) Raikkonen had a brilliant first stint when his tyres lasted as long as Mercedes would normally go.

All of this is, of course, just surmise as I want to be able to go to races which last three days. So there, Ross.:p

Yeah it couldve been a perfect storm. But i was thinking 2012 the teams had very little data on the new pirelli tyres & we had some good races including 7 different winners in 7 races

Yeah it couldve been a perfect storm. But i was thinking 2012 the teams had very little data on the new pirelli tyres & we had some good races including 7 different winners in 7 races

Take away Mercedes and there would be more cars with a chance to get wins. Money, money, money.

Back
Top Bottom