Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

Nothing to spectacular with that in mind

they were 3rd best team in Singapore In Ferrari & Red Bull territory, he produced a inch perfect lap between the walls under the most intense pressure outquakifying the teammate by 3/4 of second to create a huge turning point in the championship

Plus: 2018 was a mistake ridden season by Vettel and Ferrari.

how is that Lewis fault, if Vettel & Ferrari cant capitalise when they have the best car. just as they have this year when as i said 3 races basically 1-2 going down to the 1st, yet it was Mercedes who had both on the podium. because driver or team found a way to cock up it every week. whether it was germany when vettel crashed out when he vettel should left with a 21pt lead not 17pts behind. or Ferrari 30pts lead not 8pts behind. or in monza when he should tried to win the race over 53laps not turn 4.

lewis has been incredibly consistent he doesnt make mistakes. the reason why people make a big deal over lewis mistakes because they happen so rarely
- yesterday was his worst grid position since his engine failure in germany 18 &. his crash in brazil 17
- Austria 2018 is his only retirement in previous 64 races
- only twice in 10 1/2 years, has Lewis seen the chequered flag but not been in points germany 2009 & spain 2013.
- in the last 76 races Lewis has taken 26 poles 33 wins & 50 podiums (including 27 of last 31)

Knighthood this year? Strange he hasn't got it yet as there are sportsmen that are still competing who have been knighted.

Off the top of my head;
Sir Mo Farah
Sir Andy Murray

Did Lewis call the Queen a bitch or something and I missed it?

It's somewhat of a grey area, not many F1 knights, Jackie Stewart, Jack Brabham and Stirling Moss, can't think of anymore that were given titles though a few had hereditary titles, not really sure why those were picked, those that should have are probably Surtees, Graham Hill and possibly Mike Hailwood. There was a case for Lewis after his fourth title as he exceeded all other UK driver champions and all Europeans.
Perhaps in the post war era it was no longer a gentleman's sport bit like submariners, very brave and dedicated but a bit underhand, pre-war mainly only gentlemen could afford it and most had titles or were honourables.

I don't like Hamilton as you all know, but he's done well to win so many titles. Even having the best car on the grid (as he has had for several of his titles) doesn't guarantee you the championship.

If a knighthood might not happen, what about SPOTY? Though I can imagine he'll have a contest for that from the likes of cricket and rugby players.

Not many challengers this year on SPOTY, rugby failed so not one there, no UK special footaballers and only Ben Stokes, that was some time ago and we still didn't get the Ashes, he may stand a chance but with F1 being on pay TV as is cricket anything can happen.

He should have had a Knighthood already,but Lewis Hamilton seems to have to achieve far more to get the recognition he deserves.If Nigel Mansell Damon Hill or Jenson Button had the career that Lewis Hamilton has had,they would have had a knighthood and there would be Statues of them outside the entrance to Silverstone.

He should have had a Knighthood already,but Lewis Hamilton seems to have to achieve far more to get the recognition he deserves.If Nigel Mansell Damon Hill or Jenson Button had the career that Lewis Hamilton has had,they would have had a knighthood and there would be Statues of them outside the entrance to Silverstone.
I doubt that, Jackie Stewart used to shoot with the Royal Family, Stirling Moss was never a WDC, Jack Brabham was a manufacturer if his own cars and an Australian therefore on a different sponsorship, more manufacturer knights on a percntage basis than drivers. It's not who you are or what you do, its more connections and who your social circle contains, F1 drivers just don't mix with the right crowd, there were a few that did, some died before their time and it didn't arrived.

Last edited:
Amazing isn't it that in the 21st century we still think it is socially acceptable to create a "knight of the realm". Have an honours system by all means but please get rid of the mention of Empire and Knights.

Jim Clark was never knighted, and I defy anyone to name a performance that comes close to Clark's at the 1967 Italian GP.

for me Greenlantern101 almost certainly he has to get a knighthood just look at Coe, Redgrave, Wiggins, Farah & Murray. Stewart was more revolutionizing safety in his sport as well world championships

but not yet as this is for all sportsman with expection of Alex Ferguson. knighthood should be for sportsman onces they retired not on active duty

Why are some people still detracting Lews' achievements this season? He has won races he should win and won races he should not win this season. In my opinion Ferrari screwed up so many times over themselves and the decision to back Vettel as well as some dubious pit stops strategy and team orders has backfired and showed indecisiveness within the team management

His margins of victory are not near the invincibility levels that Schumacher achieved in 2002 and 2004 which had far superior than the rest

Only Ferrari supporters are saying his teammate was weak. That is rich when they tried to handicap one of their drivers

For the record I think Leclerc and Bottas have more poles than Hamilton this season so all this supposedly he has the best car is nonsense

Il_leone

So, are you saying that Bottas being second in the standings shows that he is undeniably the second-best driver in F1? If not, how did he acheive that position in the standings with what you apparently are saying was an inferior car to others in the field?

Il_leone,

BTW, on one thread you seem to be claiming that Ferrari have been cheating to achieve parity with M-B, yet here you seem to be claiming that Mercedes is not the superior car. How are the two assertions compatible?

siffert_fan bottas was vastly improved but wasn't the 2nd best driver this season, but that is because Ferrari have screwed up, its not stupid to say that Ferrari could've/should've won 10 races this season, Bahrain, Baku, Canada, Austria, Germany, Beligium, Italy, Singapore, Russia, Japan, Mexico. but they only won 3 & Mercedes won 5 of them. then there's Russia Japan Mexico as I mentioned 3 1-2s but scored 50pts less

& Andrew benson on the 5 live F1 podcast, said he had done the what ifs & it had Leclerc a few pts behind of lewis championship coming into austin

You aren't addressing the assertion of Ferrari cheating to achieve parity with M-B either. If the Red Menace WERE cheating to achieve parity, then the Mercedes was clearly the better car, and probably by a considerable margin.

Last edited:
Ive never said Ferrari are cheating, but I did say that it didn't look good that as soon rivals as for clarity from the FIA & fuel directive comes in the straight line speed advantage diminishes on circuit that should suit more than mexico

but this 2nd half of the year it indisputable that Ferrari didn't have the best car they have had a car on front row at every race & before Austin 7 consecutive poles. that was as dominant Mercedes at the start difference being Mercedes capitalised on it

If you look at the Ferrari thread, it is rather obvious that Il_leone is making that precise assertion, and I want to know how he correlates that position with his statement above.

Back
Top Bottom