Lewis Hamilton and what it means to drive for Ferrari

Firstly, apologies to cider_and_toast for furthering the off-topicness of this string of conversation - but I think that these days, and possibly historically, Ferrari is just as likely to kill a reputation as it is to build one. Schumacher came out of the relationship well, but also went in to it with a fairly healthy position. Likewise Mansell, who although he picked up a decent nickname, also did better after he left (See also Prost).

I think that currently, the reason that drivers want to go to Ferrari is to be the one who got them back to the top of the championships, however, I think that the pressure to achieve when you are there is crushing, such that even drivers with the pedigree of Alonso (and, subject to your individual perspectives, Vettel) have not been able to do. Raikkonen managed it, as McLaren imploded, but I dont think he was really too bothered either way!

i know its alot If & Buts & completely unrealistic because leclerc & sainz are almost set in stone for next 3 or 4 years unless something weird happens. & agreed they would have be in the form of 2017 - 19 not 2014 - 16 & 2020

but it looks likes its just me but the passion Ferrari have is great. its given average drivers a legacy their career didnt deserve & Leclerc win in 2019 1 of greatest sights in sport. i said at the time. it would be hard to not be moved being up there & not think. i want a piece of this

Last edited:
fasinating italian interview with Italian sky f1 that hasnt got the traction i expected. but hamilton admits his that his like every driver dream is to drive for Ferrari

I have to admit that I dont see the allure of driving for Ferrari. It would be one thing if they were still the best team in F1 but it seems like the team itself is such a soap opera and that car isnt great.
They are definitely a distant 3rd behind Merc and Red Bull and you could even argue that McLaren is better right now.

I have to admit that I dont see the allure of driving for Ferrari. It would be one thing if they were still the best team in F1 but it seems like the team itself is such a soap opera and that car isnt great.
They are definitely a distant 3rd behind Merc and Red Bull and you could even argue that McLaren is better right now.
at the moment yes you wouldnt want to leave but if they got back to winning ways like 2017 - 2018. in next few years

But given Hamilton's age, why would Ferrari want him? He'd be there to phone it in like Kimi for the payday, when they have LeClerc and Sainz now, if the Ferrari got as good as the Merc of last season, one of them would win the WDC and they'd walk the WCC.

at the moment yes you wouldnt want to leave but if they got back to winning ways like 2017 - 2018. in next few years
Right but it seems like every year Ferrari thinks that next year will be the year and the whole team is just such a dysfunctional dumpster fire. Its just like with Schumacher: just imagine how many more races and championships he would have won if he had gone to McLaren instead of Ferrari.

Right but it seems like every year Ferrari thinks that next year will be the year and the whole team is just such a dysfunctional dumpster fire. Its just like with Schumacher: just imagine how many more races and championships he would have won if he had gone to McLaren instead of Ferrari.
alonso ferrari career is basically that. next year we will be great

Totally agree. The Netflix documentary showed how dysfunctional it was. That scene where some middle manager reprimanded Vettel for bringing some humor r to the meeting.

I admit it's unlikely that Ferrari will improve to have championship-winning potential, and even then it's certainly not a given that Hamilton would drive for them. However, it could happen, there's lots of possible permutations. In the next few years, maybe 5+ years, age is probably not a factor for Hamilton still being ultra-competitive in a decent car. So, if during or at the end of that time, Ferrari have made significant improvements, or even if they have not but Hamilton is up for a change, it wouldn't surprise me to see Ferrari make Hammy an offer. He may have 8, 9 or even 10 WDCs by then who knows. A blast in the red car for megabucks might amuse him enough to go for it.

Back
Top Bottom