Lewis contract situation

P1

Race Winner
Contributor
It's surprising me how long it is taking Lewis to reach a contract with Mercedes. Clearly Mercedes want him to sign and he is not doing it.

The easy explanation would be he is proving his value by thrashing Rosberg in the hope of getting a Vettel like comp package.

The other one would be that this feels a bit like 3 years ago when he dragged out the McLaren negotiations. Everyone said it was just negotiating over small stuff like trophies, and then he surprised us all by signing with Mercedes.

I wonder if he has an eye on the other Ferrari seat which opens up at the end of the year.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I read some quotes the other day, from Niki Lauda I think, suggesting it's pretty much done and dusted. Verbal agreement all round on him staying at Mercedes and just waiting for the paperwork to be completed. I suspect there's probably a bit more to it than that.

every driver will try and maximise their earning power whilst they still can. I mean Vettel cashed in on a moment of opportunity to accept the offer from Ferrari which was based on the previous seasons and not last year

Kimi managed to be paid $50m despite the fact that he was not even a world champion but managed to convince Ferrari that he should be paid on the same money as M Schumacher

Mansell wanted £13m to stay with Williams even though they had the best car

R Schumacher try to demand more money from Williams thinking he is nearer $20m a year despite earning 3 times the salary that Montoya was getting

Think i saw an article back in 2006 that it was Santander or Shell that offered Ferrari $50m to sign Raikkonen. And I think it was $50m for a 3 year contract, not a year.

Ralf just wanted to exploit his name to get enough money as fast as possible, before they would find out that he is not as skilled as his brother.

In contrast Vettel was the least paid WC on the grid since last year.

And Senna even wanted to race for free to get in the best car.

Last edited:
If rumours are to be believed it's not about the money.

It seems to be
1. The momentoes
2. Making sure they are the best option and I suspect he is watching Ferrari very very closely

After seeing the comments after the Australian GP I think it is:
Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 26m 26 minutes ago
HAM stood at the back at Toto Wolff's media session, said he was from the Daily Mail, and asked difficult questions about contracts

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 19m 19 minutes ago
HAM to Wolff: "From the Daily Mail, is there any news on the contract?" Wolff: "No news on the contract, to the Daily Mail journalist!"

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 19m 19 minutes ago
HAM: "After today's performance have you had any thoughts of upping the ante?" Wolff: "You know we don't discuss contracts in public..."

I can't see Mercedes letting Hamilton keep the trophies, assuming that is what he wants, since, historically the teams have always kept and displayed them. They are, after all, more the results of the team's efforts than those of the driver, particularly in today's realities where the car is the major determinant of the WDC.

I would love to see Merc decide that his demands are out of line and replace him with Button for next season, leaving Hamilton to race for a lesser team, like Force India, Sauber, Williams or Enstone. Maybe then he would appreciate how much of his winning was due to the car rather than to his talents.

What's the big deal about keeping trophies? If I walk into someone's house and they have a trophy cabinet that they insist on showing me and are ever so proud of I just think, knob.

I haven't kept me swimmers with me one mile badge on them.

Last edited:
Isn't he after the winning car?

Besides there is a constructor trophy.
Yes there is a constructors (WCC) trophy, but why should the team let the driver have the individual race trophies?

And I have heard rumours that he wants both the individual trophies and the car!
If that is, indeed the case, I can't really imagine any team agreeing to such demands.

Yeah I can't stand it when they go on telly and they've got the bloody thing hanging round their neck, christ most of them look embarrassed by having to do so...

Last edited:
Button took a pay cut at Brawn and it was written into his contact that if he won the WDC then he could keep the winning car, but at the end of the day they offered to build him a replica so he took them to court and won so they handed over the winning car.

At the time I thought, knob end..

Jealous much! **** me if I was talented enough to get anywhere near their achievements I'd have them made I to a hat that was stitched to my head.

You may think 'knob', I think 'incredibly hardworking, talented and one of the best in the world that deserves to show off'.

Button took a pay cut at Brawn and it was written into his contact that if he won the WDC then he could keep the winning car, but at the end of the day they offered to build him a replica so he took them to court and won so they handed over the winning car.

At the time I thought, knob end..
Brawn or Button? Contracts a contract.

Back
Top Bottom