Legard out?

That's going to be a disaster.

Coulthard will just be sucking up to and praising Red Bull all the time.
He's so bad I tend to either mute the sound or flip channels when he starts eulogising Horner and Vettel.

A commentary team needs a non-technical person to fill the gaps.
I thought James Allen did that particular role much, much better than Legard who was just plain awful.

Brogan said:

A commentary team needs a non-technical person to fill the gaps.
I thought James Allen did that particular role much, much better than Legard who was just plain awful.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one Bro. Finding the gaps in JA's incessant rabbiting drove me up the wall. I'd rather listen to Legard's counting than hear Allen on the TV EVER again, the man ruined F1 coverage for me for all the years he commentated (combined with the rest of ITV's rotten attempt at showing the sport).

Please not Coulthard!

I didn't like James Allen. I mildly dislike Mr Legard. I am absolutely riled by Coulthard and that's just on the few minutes I have to put up with him on the intro of each race. I really couldn't put up with that boring so-and-so for the whole race! :no:

I a little miffed about how much angst Legard seems to create as commenator. he aint no Murray Walker but he isn't exactly bad either. the only real critism of legard i have is that if the race is boring then he does sound as if a commentry box is the last place he wants to be.

Cannot see Brundle and Couthard working well together as a duo in the box. Having two 'colour commenators' imo could just end up a disaster any really annoying.

Infact i dislike the idea so much, ive taken the bizzare (and proberly pointless action) of applying for the job myself.

Oh and i still have nightmares about when Button got his first win and James Allen made that blood curdling sound.

Carnt't question his knowelege of F1 but was a horrible commenator.

Andrea_Moda_Rules said:
Infact i dislike the idea so much, ive taken the bizzare (and proberly pointless action) of applying for the job myself.
If you do get the commentary job, don't forget to mention Clip the Apex! :D

What makes Legard bad IMO is his mistakes and frequent drivel when he has these little mind lapses while obviously trying to read a timing screen, watch the pit straight, try to talk about Kobi taking a dive down the outside, and keep an eye on Martin so as not to interrupt each other.

Not that the thing he WANTED to say was drivel, it just comes out as such. Calling the wrong car overtaking seemed frequent.

"how did Massa get there?" is one i remember, when he had got entirely confused with the two Ferrari's. I seem to just remember a faint sigh from Brundle and he moved swiftly on with some of his analytics to change the subject. :rolleyes:

The commentary box really does need one expert (MB) and one racing fan, that has no technical knowledge or even interest in. One to shout and get excited, one to back them up with numbers and stats. MB is perfect in his role i think, he just needs to be complimented with an excitable fan that can keep up with the action...

His starts really wind me up... The lights go out [silence] the cars roar from the line, the McLarens both make a great start getting side by side with the RBRs, Massa goes down the grass, Sutil jumps five places round the outside, Schumacher blocks Barrichello against the wall, but despite his efforts, allows Petrov to go the other side only to lock up and take out Rosberg [still silence] they get to the first braking point, into the first corner, Vettel holds 1st as 2nd, 3rd, 4th go into turn 1 three abreast - cue Legard:................. "and they're off"

:givemestrength:

I think it's easy for us to criticise what is quite a taxing role. Trying to keep on top of everything that Grizzly mentioned in his first paragraph AND listen to a producer (Mark Hughes in the pitbox and whoever the Beeb have in their production wagon) and avoid missing anything must be highly stressful, especially at the start. I know I have trouble following what is happening sometimes, even with much the same information in front of me as Legard/Brundle (I think they only get the world feed and the timing screens that we get).

Not sure any of use could do much better.

fat_jez said:
Not sure any of use could do much better.
Agreed.

Which is why we shouldn't also be given the job.

Legard just makes too many glaring errors and misses crucial events too many times.

Back
Top Bottom