Le Mans 24H 2010

Galahad said:
Matthew Little said:
(though as I also said in another thread, I wouldn't mind seeing a Daytona Prototype roar down the Mulsanne Straight........ :D .......).

If I wanted to see a line of fridges sliding down a driveway I'd look on YouTube, my friend. LOL

You have to admit, though, Galahad, that they're pretty fast for a bunch of lead-filled fridges.............. ;)

Awful things Matthew.
Motor-racing for the spectator must surely be a spectacle? As such there is a requirement to pay some attention to aesthetics.

- If they fail to do this adequately, they are at odds with the basic principles of a spectator sport. And, if you don't mind my saying so, Daytona prototypes are amongst the ugliest four wheelers ever to have sported numbers on their bonnets (hoods), or doors.

cosicave said:
Awful things Matthew.
Motor-racing for the spectator must surely be a spectacle? As such there is a requirement to pay some attention to aesthetics.

- If they fail to do this adequately, they are at odds with the basic principles of a spectator sport. And, if you don't mind my saying so, Daytona prototypes are amongst the ugliest four wheelers ever to have sported numbers on their bonnets (hoods), or doors.

I'll give you that one, Cosi. DP's are not the hottest' cars out there, by any stretch of the imagination. And yes, they probably could use a facelift or three. :o :o

For the record, I'm probably more of a Grand-Am fan than I am a LeMans fan(Sebring, LeMans 24 and Petit LeMans being the exceptions to that) and there's a couple of reasons............
---Unlike the LMPs, which seem to pass into obsolescence after only a year, there's a lot more stability in the DP formula(they're currently mid-way through the five-year lifespan of the 2nd-generation DP although they've never made the 1st-generation DPs' obsolete under GA rules......in fact, there's at least, last time I remember, 2 1st-gen. Riley DPs' still being raced that were built in 2003-2004).
---The rules in Grand-Am are designed to contain costs & technology while providing for close competition. In addition, unlike in the ALMS or LeMans, there are no factory teams in Grand-Am; if you build an engine or chassis and GA approves, you have to make it available for everyone.
---Unlike this year over in the ALMS where they had to introduce 2 spec-series classes to keep the car counts up, GA still has two distinct classes, which they've had for about five years now. Surprisingly, the car counts in Grand-Am rival those in ALMS(about 30 or so cars in each series).

Galahad said:
higgins87 said:
If I were to do it I would almost certainly drive so would probably try to take a week off (assuming of course I have a job by that point LOL ). Not so bothered about doing the exploration of Northern France tbh, remember going there on a school trip and on holiday with the parents and not really enjoying either. Though of course it may be different now! But knowing me all I'd be doing is obsessing over Le Mans and the gf would get v annoyed v quickly ;) .

Take her to Paris for the previous weekend, then she won't mind going down to LM on the Tuesday.

Problem solved! :thankyou:
Haha, good idea Galahad! Now that she might be interested in ;)

Thanks Matthew! Have browsed the site a few times and it's impressed me so finally decided to join.

There's no doubt that Grand-Am in general has been very successful in its modern incarnation, and the DPs are a big part of that. Again it boils down to conflicting ideas of what sportscar racing should be about, and what works in Alabama might not go down so well at Zandvoort - and vice versa. Vive la difference and all that.

Galahad said:
There's no doubt that Grand-Am in general has been very successful in its modern incarnation, and the DPs are a big part of that. Again it boils down to conflicting ideas of what sportscar racing should be about, and what works in Alabama might not go down so well at Zandvoort - and vice versa. Vive la difference and all that.

To each their own, I always say. Like I said in an earlier post, in a perfect world, the 24 Hours of LeMans, the 24 Hours of Daytona and the 12 Hours of Sebring would all be on the same sports-car schedule................one can only dream.

Well, Sebring and Le Mans will both score towards the ACO's Intercontinental Cup (read World Endurance Championship) for next season. And the Fuji 1000km too.

Daytona will take a bit longer, I suspect. But as you say, we can dream.

Back
Top Bottom