Kubica to Mercedes?

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Another rumour about the highly rated Robert Kubica, an Italian website (Omincourse.it) claims he is being lined up to replace Michael Schumacher at Mercedes. This was Nick Fry's response:

"From inside the team we see things in a totally different perspective," "We're very comfortable with Michael's performance and I can't see any reason why he won't come good."

Looks like a done deal then...

I hope not. I think that he is well situated where he is. The Renault engine clearly is competitive, and the car is continually improving. More than that, I think that the Renault team is willing to build their team around him. If he goes to Mercedes, that would not be the case.

I think the more interesting point in all this is the financial side with Renault, if they have / do tie up a major sponsorship deal with Mastercard i can't see Robert leaving but more to the point would it be enough to entice Kimi back into F1. That would be a pretty formidable lineup if Renault can deliver the car.

Just going back to Mercedes though, i think schui will stay for at least another year as we're always told Rome wasn't built in a day and even with previous teams he's had to bimble round in some mingers before it came good.

The other point, is it just me or are Mercedes having exactly the same issue with tyres as they did in the guise of Brawn last season? Lesson not so well learnt me thinks.

siffert_fan said:
I hope not. I think that he is well situated where he is. The Renault engine clearly is competitive, and the car is continually improving. More than that, I think that the Renault team is willing to build their team around him. If he goes to Mercedes, that would not be the case.

Actually think this is a very good point. There is definitely more to the Renault engine then RBR would have us believe. Granted it may not quite have the maximum power out put of the Mercedes, but it is obviously very drivable.

On the topic subject, I also think that Kubica should stay where he is. A change in direction at Renault with Flav and Alonso leaving has been good for the team. They seem to be back in the development race, and Robert is driving the pants of that Renault.

I think he really has the opportunity to build a team around him, and pull a Schumacher. Hope he does well.

slickskid said:
The other point, is it just me or are Mercedes having exactly the same issue with tyres as they did in the guise of Brawn last season? Lesson not so well learnt me thinks.

It's pretty amusing to go back and look at December's issue of F1 Racing.

"There are a few things we held back in 2009 for 2010..."
*hint hint hint*

Yeah well it hasn't got you far has it. ROFL

On Kubica, no way will he go to Mercedes. Schumacher will be there until the end of 2011 at the very least I think, and Kubica's settled nicely at Renault. Can't see it happening. Renault are much the nicer team these days, they're really growing on me without Flavio, Fry or Fernando.

Now that's interesting. Given that there won't be a silly season this year as it's widely expected that all of the big guns would be retaining their current line ups I would have expected "Silly Season 2010/2011" to be a massive merry-go-round with a seat probably available at Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes.

For Kubica to commit to Renault for another 2 years must mean that he's sure that the current Renault set up is in it for the long haul and the team are progressing in the right direction (which they seem to be). It will be interesting to see how is career develops from here.

There could still be a midfield and rearguard merry-go-round. Lets just thank God that there is not an open Alonso-esque "key to the market" again!

I think its a good choice for the Pole.

I can see Alonso staying at Ferrari for longer than several years, and as such, I do not think it would ever be in Kubica's best interest to go their in that environment. The McLaren team, also seems very stable.

Renault have won championships before, and as such if Robert believes that they will be able to build a team around him, and give him a title challenging car, then I wish him all the best. Definitely my favourite driver after the British boys, and it looks like they are dong good things together

Good to see Kubi signed up with Renault. It's good to see them doing well post-Flavio.

There have been rumours of Kimi making a return to F1 in the seat alongside Robert but if he is still asking any where near the wages he was asking for last year then that will be a no go. He has made his money so perhaps he wouldn't mind taking a wage cut, especially seeing that he isn't doing too well in the rallying.

It will be interesting whether Petrov is with Renault next year or not.

If Briatore was still in charge, then ?????? would be having to deliberately crash his car in the next race to save his seat!

Back
Top Bottom