Kit Cars

I think from a positional point of view you could get away with it, where Mr Plod could get a bit narky is that the car is too new for silver on black plates.

Just to show that I am still working on here, here's the latest.

1969362_699453250143670_5728105164406630935_n.jpg

In either late 1970 or early 71, while I was a student at Caltech in the US, I found a Ferrari GTO 64 for sale for $7500! I passed on it because it needed $3000 in transmission work. Plus I was a student and a newly wed whose wife was pregnant with our honeymoon "oops" and so money was a little tight.

Out of curiosity, how much did you car kit cost?

The kit itself was only £1,500 but I've never had the courage to work out how much all the other bits have cost.

Excluding consumables such as filler and sand paper I'm up to £6,200 and it's not painted or MOT'd yet.

I added up what it cost to restore my mini cooper only about 1 month before selling it also due to being nervous about what it had cost. I spent £3000 buying it and £2500 restoring and pimping it. Used it for 4 years then sold it for £6500. So 4 years use great fun working on it and a nice profit in the end.

If the end product looks good and is finished well you shouldn't loose money.

I certainly haven't scrimped (much to the wife's disgust) as it has a custom exhaust, I bought wheels which there are only two tyres available in the UK to fit them and some of the cost was of my own making, such as jumping the cam belt and not inspecting the car properly so having to have some serious welding done on the front chassis rails.

I'm hoping it will be on the road after next pay day ;)

Back
Top Bottom