Head To Head Jenson Button vs Sergio Pérez

Status
Not open for further replies.
racecub - when did he go on record saying this? I know he said that at china, but I haven't heard the same suggestion in Spain.... And maybe, just maybe, Perez couldn't get close enough to get past... In fact, neither of you ever believe anything that Martin Whitmarsh says- I wonder what your problem is with him....

I believe that Perez spoke about the fact of going out and setting a lap in Q3 compromising his strategy, if he needed a shorter first stint, it could explain a choice of strategy, maybe a reversal of what happened in Bahrain.

But I think that this will make little difference to anyone.

The Pits - you're absolutely correct- Perez has come out saying precisely that... I'm not sure it explains the difference in strategies- as Button couldn't get the medium tyres to work at all, and was consistently slower in the first stint, but from then on in, Perez and Button were put on new hard tyres, and Perez was burning through them, whilst button wasn't!

So the situation we have here is that we are near the end of the race and we have two teammates on the same part of the track with the one behind the faster. The team is concerned their is an issue that might cost both drivers a finish or a position so they suggest they preserve and hold station.

All seems a bit familiar.

Hamberg - the facts of the race don't support your supposition. At the end of stints, Perez's tyres were toast- he was losing over a second a lap to his 'slower' team mate... Had he carried on any further n those stints, he would have been knackered- and may have even had a tyre failure!

Button was not quick. Button was incredibly slow and slower than Perez quite often. Button was not able to manage the tyres on that McLaren to warrant being one of the better in the field, that honour goes to Renault and Sauber. Button did do a superb job to get into the points given how awful that car was. Perez was not given a fair crack.

At the end of the day, when somebody supports a driver it is only natural to find every minute tiny detail to put them in the more favourable light no matter how tenuous. Hence why this argument will never be resolved.

Given what happened in Bahrain it's just all too coincidental to not be fishy.

RasputinLives indeed! It's just unfortunate it follows the race where Whitmarsh said he wouldn't exercise team orders.

If the tyre deg story is to be believed then what I'm unclear about is Perez maintained his speed and was catching button a second a lap until he was within a second. He finished right with him. Now we all heard the message and McLaren's version of events however Perez was catching Button a second a lap for a number of laps and he stayed with Button right up until the end. If that message came sooner which one would assume given he was eating his tyres then he must have ignored it. Or was that message given when it seemed he was actually going to be close enough to challenge? In which case his tyres weren't falling off and the only way that battle could have ended poorly is if Button defended rather concede it was not in his interest to do so. Or his team told him not to defend as Button is faster.

Can we keep this exchange civil, and debate the issues, rather than taking swipes and needless digs.

Any further unconstructive posts will be deleted.

Thank you.

Don't teams often split driver strategies? Especially when they are struggling for race pace

So I don't understand why it seems to be such a big deal in this case....:dunno:

That's always the case when strategies are split and nobody knows which one will work beforehand, and I believe that a three stop strategy would have been disastrous for Checo he probably had a different car setup than Jenson's not allowing for a 3 stop and If he could have stretched it to a 3 stop why didn't he ask the team to go to plan B?

And Checo started within the top 10 meaning he had to start on used rubber which probably put him on a four stop whereas Jenson started on fresh rubber giving him the choice of three stops.

So now it's better to qualify lower out of the top ten? Can you not see how absurd the entire situation is?

There have been a few instances where those who qualify out of the top 10 have made it into the points, sometimes through the benefit of extra tyres, and the choice at the start of the race, like Checo in Bahrain for example.

So now it's better to qualify lower out of the top ten? Can you not see how absurd the entire situation is?
Of course it's absurd when it is better to start from 11th or 12 than from 10th and 9th.....

But in this case Checo started from 8th and Button 14th that should have outweighed any advantage gained I would have thought...

But Checo does claim that putting in a lap in Q3 hurt his race..

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107390

And he says he struggled to keep his tyres alive even on a four stopper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom