Is this the beginning of the Red Bull slide ?

Red Bull are not a racing team they are a drinks company and the racing team is just a commodity useful for brand awareness and once that usefulness has ended they will be gone to do something else..

Last edited:
Red Bull are not a racing team they are a drinks company and the racing team is just a commodity useful for brand awareness and once that usefulness has ended they will be gone to do something else..

Yes but Red Bull Racing is a racing team.
http://www.infiniti-redbullracing.com

As for Red Bull - yes it is a drinks company - however it's brand has always been associated with high adrenalin sports. They have a long standing presence in F1, Rallycars, and motocross. I think it is inconceivable that they will stop sponsoring these types of sports.

Could they leave F1 and go do touring cars or LeMans? Yes they might - but then Ferrari could one-day too. Had their latest attempt at rejuvenation not been successful, a Ferrari departure to another motorsport was not inconceivable.

Last edited:
My point is that they haven't got any racing pedigree in the scheme of things, they are in sport because it is high profile and they have the money to do so, also they can write off a large amount of money spent on what they consider advertising against taxation if Red Bull Racing slips down the grid it will not do their brand name any good and they will pull out without a second thought.

Ferrari are different they are first and foremost a racing team, everything else is secondary to them the same goes for Williams and McLaren.

Merc are renowned for pulling the plug when things don't go their way.

Last edited:
Mercedes don't have a record for pulling the plug when things don't go their way, in fact they've been very committed to F1. The only time they walked away from motorsport was after the 1955 Le Mans tragedy.

Last edited:
From what I read they had already decided to leave F1, the reason to be given out was they had already won everything so there was no point in staying on. In truth they threw a large amount of money at it in a short time so that it was unsustainable in the long term.

If Red Bull don't feel they are getting the exposure they need from F1 to sell their brand then they have every right to pull the plug. However, they stuck at it from 2005 to 2010 with little success and then BOOM! I suspect they are still in it for the long term and the arrival of Max Verstappen (who will be in the senior team next year, trust me) might have just found them the next Vettel.

They are also not shy in shopping for the best option in terms of engine power and if a Merc or Honda engine were to become available I'm sure would jump at it.

It's a tricky one regarding Honda. Clearly the way things have been going between Renault and RBR, there is an ever falling chance that the Renault engine will be in the back of a Red Bull next season. Mercedes are almost certainly at their capacity limit for supplying teams (especially now that the former Renault team are on the books). That leaves the only real option for an alternative deal in the hands of Honda, who will be in the box seat during any negotiations. In order to maximise the package RBR will need to know where they are going on engines by the middle of this year at the latest. So, if they see the green shoots of development in the Honda engine, Red Bull representatives will be beating a pathway to Japan, if not I expect the road to Paris to be lined with olive branches.

I just can't see Red Bull-Honda happening personally, not any time soon anyway. It would make Red Bull a customer team as Honda and McLaren are very much focused on each other and I'm not convinced that McLaren would allow it either. For me it's Renault or a new manufacturer for Red Bull... and if Red Bull ditch Renault I suspect that would be the end of Renault in F1 unless they decide to purchase a team.

My point is that they haven't got any racing pedigree in the scheme of things, they are in sport because it is high profile and they have the money to do so, also they can write off a large amount of money spent on what they consider advertising against taxation if Red Bull Racing slips down the grid it will not do their brand name any good and they will pull out without a second thought.

Ferrari are different they are first and foremost a racing team, everything else is secondary to them the same goes for Williams and McLaren.

Merc are renowned for pulling the plug when things don't go their way.

This is just your worthless opinion here. Red Bull went 5 years without championships to get into a winning position, and they weren't destroying their sales during those 5 years - they were growing.

By your logic Red Bull would have quit F1 before 2010, Santander and Shell would have stopped sponsoring F1 years ago, and many of the sponsors who have been in F1 for decades would not be there. Sponsorship is not just valuable if you win.

The only scenario I see Red Bull leaving F1 is if they end up with no engine supplier at all (which would be a forced exit).

This is just your worthless opinion here.

Ouch !!!

To be fair, there have been a number of documented occasions in the history of F1 where sponsors have approached a team and said, do better or we are out of here. JPS made that very threat to Lotus in 1983 and to be honest, most people of a certain era, when they think of Lotus, think black and gold. So it can happen to any team at any time.

The big difference between the sponsors of a team and Red Bull is that Red Bull are their own sponsor so they can hardly complain to themselves if they feel they are not getting value for money.

Red Bull could very well choose to leave at any time without so much as a backward glance. If they feel that F1 isn't doing it for them anymore.

I don't see Red Bull around, at least in their current form, 5 years down the road. It reminds me of Benetton. Their main objective was to use F1 as a vehicle to promote their clothes. They invested a great amount of money, hired the best in the business and they conquered and when they were satisfied, they sold the operation. What is in it for Red Bull? they've already multiple titles, demonstrated they can beat the best and sold a lot of drinks in the process.

FB.... this has got to stop, we're thinking alike far to often. :) I've been say on numerous threads on CTA that 2016 will see McLaren become competitive. :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom