Is Rosberg really a better qualifier than Hamilton?

You think so? No , it isn't. I think you're still look at the question of WHO won the quali batle. Yes, that isn't up for debate, that was won by Rosberg, unreservedly. Itwas he who won the quali battle in 2014 ...YES! Oh YES HE DID! But get with it Hamberg, the question here is WHY!

Last edited:
Yes you've got confused. LOL, but don't worry, it's not a terminal crime. The question was indeed IS. But you're comfusion is limiting the IS to 2014. There was no limit on the question it was open ended.

So now the question is IS not WHY?

Good god, this isn't doing women any favours against the stereotype that we 'don't know what we want'.

Yes, trivialising issues does a disservice to the fairer sex who wish to consider serious F1 issues. So let's show the guys we can debate issues without getting all emotional. Let's look at WHY Rosberg is faster In quali ;because this year we know he has won that battle. There are no brownie points for pointing this fact out. We know it ROSBERG WON THE QUALI BATTLE IN 2014. Now let's get grown up and debate the isue of why. Why did he win that battle? I've put forward some suggestions that might answer that question. I've heard some other viable alternatives too. Emotional responses that don't move the debate forward aren't really helpful.

Last edited:
So now it's 'why' again. Can't keep up.

I'll answer both:
IS: Yes
WHY: Rosberg over the course of the season was faster. Yes there are a few mechanical what ifs but that's all they are, what ifs.

Will it be different next season? Maybe, because both are very good at adapting in different ways.

Brogan - Did either of them have any problems last year?
That I didn't check.

Not sure I can be bothered really - it was just to try and show that things can and do change from season to season.

Edit: Having done a quick check, it looks like ROS had an issue in Germany and the USA and HAM in Italy.

The cars this year are significantly different, which i can only assume leads to a different approach to set up.

Maybe the optimal race set up for Lewis leaves him a little short of Nico in qualifying pace, but better set up for the race? Or maybe the nature of the car has played to Nico in terms of absolutely on the edge driving.

It has been very close though, so i suggest whatever the answer, it is related to very small margins either way.

Has anyone noticed Dave Brailsford on Nicos side of the garage during qualifying?

The Pits, it has been close, very close. But the difference between them since Spa is bigger than the rest of the season ( in that Rosberg has the quali sewn up and Hamilton the races. ) I still think Hamilton is somehow setting up for the race and shielding it from Rosberg. And whatever it is he and his engineers do, it's what he alluded to when he said 'we tried something different and we won.' Anyone got any ideas what that something might be if doesn't relate to a late setup tweek?

It doesn't make sense though. They can't change set up between Q2 and Q3, the car is under parc ferme conditions from the moment it leaves the garage in Q1. They may change the set-up before Q1, but that wouldn't explain why Hamilton was generally faster in Q2.

He's not as good as Rosberg at the absolute limit, but better when there is some component that needs to be preserved. When he needs to push fully, he stamps too much on the brakes.

It doesn't make sense though. They can't change set up between Q2 and Q3, the car is under parc ferme conditions from the moment it leaves the garage in Q1. They may change the set-up before Q1, but that wouldn't explain why Hamilton was generally faster in Q2.

He's not as good as Rosberg at the absolute limit, but better when there is some component that needs to be preserved. When he needs to push fully, he stamps too much on the brakes.
I don't have the rules in front of me but I doubt they include tire pressures and wing angles angles

Back
Top Bottom