Is Mercedes Going to Hit a New Lowe?!!

Lewis didn't have a lot of choice as far as I can see. Stay at McLaren for less money with the same problems with the team - poor strategy decisions, pit mess-ups, car unreliability, or try something new - but Ferrari & RBR doors were shut so where else could he have gone? I think 2014, and hopefully 2013 as well, could just be the turning point for Mercedes, but I'm a little disappointed if Ross will be leaving.

Heres an interesting question.

Do you think that the current raft of changes in the team at Mercedes is because they have hired Lewis, or do you think that Lewis signed because of all the changes?

I think it could be the former, judging by the way things are being done, but this is something which I have been thinking about.

If I were Lewis the very fact that Lauda was joining the team would have made me not sign....

After all it wasn't so long ago that he was saying stuff like this about him..

"What Hamilton did there goes beyond all boundaries," Lauda, who was commentating on the race for German TV, said. "He is completely mad. If the FIA does not punish him, I do not understand the world any more. At some point there has to be an end to all the jokes. You cannot drive like this … as it will result in someone getting killed."
http://en.espnf1.com/canada/motorsport/story/51550.html

Perhaps he got the two McLarens mixed up ...(he is getting on a bit)...& then didn't like to back down ...when he found it was Jenson who put Lewis into the wall?
If Lewis had just waited a few moments he would have easily got past Jenson....with his DRS...

I cannot forgive and cannot forget Lauda's slur on Lewis, barely a year ago!!saying he is dangerous and might kill someone after Lauda himself is on record defending the antics of Schumacher with examples from his own career where he would drive competitors off the road out of sight of officials; and this in a much more dangerous era than now. Lewis would never drive a competitor off the road! I imagine now Lewis is the best thing since sliced bread in Lauda's eyes, and that will last just as long as it suits Lauda. He is the dark cloud in all this....which could otherwise be a very exciting time. I think Lewis should be careful around him.

The last time a major manufacturer underestimated the "Ross Brawn Effect" he took a Constructors Championship and a Driver's Championship and made them look like a bunch of wimpy corporate muppets.

Frank is looking for someone to take the reigns at Williams... he should have a chat with Ross ASAP. I can see Frank and Ross running rings around Mercedes, Mclaren, Ferrari and perhaps even Adrian and RBR!

Perhaps he got the two McLarens mixed up ...(he is getting on a bit)...& then didn't like to back down ...when he found it was Jenson who put Lewis into the wall?

I don't want to open new wounds and I am fairly sure that that argument has been done to death on this and many other forums sufficed to say that many people agree with your point of view and many do not, however my post was simply to bring the two-facedness of Lauda to peoples attention and not to open a can of worms.

I cannot forgive and cannot forget Lauda's slur on Lewis, barely a year ago!!saying he is dangerous and might kill someone

racecub........I wouldn't be that harsh with Lauda, because one moment he's calling for the FIA to punish that madman Hamilton. Later as a senior member of the F1 team reporting directly to the Mercedes board, trying next to persuade this same madman to come on board and join his team.........typical Niki.....:rolleyes:

watch

Some interesting snippets are being posted on Twitter after comments made by Brawn and Lauda today.

Brawn emphatic "I'm the team principal and I'm in charge". Paddy Lowe story is down to RB being unable to commit long term at the moment

Ross says "Paddy (Lowe) is not coming". Then adds..."If I choose to leave then Paddy will come".

Brawn says he had spoken to McLaren's Paddy Lowe, who Mercedes chief Niki Lauda admits they want, and "we know the situation"

So Ross Brawn doesn't want to or is unable to commit long term.
Which has prompted Lauda (or A.N. Other) to speak to Lowe.
However, until Brawn chooses to leave Lowe won't be joining Mercedes.

I suppose the only real question there is why Brawn can't or won't commit.

Well you'd have to say from that he's hedging his bets on if he can work with Lauda and Wolff.

Sounds to me like he's going to give it a few weeks and if he decides he doesn't like the new regime he's off!

Back
Top Bottom