Poll Is Kimi Raikkonen in the same league as Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton in 2012?

Is Kimi Raikkonen in the same league as Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton in 2012?

• Total voters
Interestingly, if you apply the lap time adjustments for track conditions as listed on Wikipedia which is where I guess you've got the times from, Raikonnen's time would be fastest at 1.40.1
Respect due, and illustrates that he could probably be bothered that day.

Funny thing is he never really looked like he bothered (skip to 6:12):

I would say yes.

Since he's fought it out with at least one of three of the best in the 2000s decade for a championship three times, and came out in top once, then missed out by 2 points against the Schumacher, and his car failing him more often than not.

I don't think luck has certainly been on his side, even in his championship year he was also unlucky at times too.

Here's why I would rank him up at the top.

Only 20 or so open wheeled races, jumps into Formula 1 and scores a point, then helps Sauber achieve their highest constructors championship position to date (discounting BMW-Sauber).

2002 he scored his first podium in his first race for McLaren, he had 11 retirements that season, but 9 of them where not his fault.

2003 at the age of 23, in a car that was a year old, he managed to stay in the title hunt until the end, unlike Montoya who at that time was rated higher than him succumbed to pressure that season, Raikkonen didn't, he went on to lose the championship by only 2 points.

2004 was a horrible year for McLaren, yet he managed to score a win for the team. The team only scored 4 podiums that season, and Raikkonen was the one who got all 4.

2005 punctures, engines and hydraulics failing halted his championship charge from early on, but that year, he raced one of the greatest victories, from 17th to 1st, overtaking Giancarlo Fisichella in a great manouvre.

2006 he continued to punch above his weight, was likely to win in Monaco, until his car failed him.

2007 greatest comeback in history of the sport, 6 wins that season against a stronger McLaren car.

2008 wasn't his year, bad luck in Canada, France and Silverstone, costing him at least a win and 2 podiums, halted his championship charge, then there was Spa, where he had a slow puncture and spun out, and effectively was out of the championship.

2009 got Ferrari's first points in the season, got their first front row start, their first podium, and their only win. Many praise Fernando Alonso for what he did in the Ferrari in 2011, but not Kimi for 2009, both cars in my opinion where poor for Ferrari standards, and both drivers pushed to the maximum, and delivered amazing results.

In his first career I would definitely rank him in the top tier, in 2012, I don't know how to judge him.

He's been out for 2 years, but even so, has came back with a bang, scored 2 podiums, but could have had 2 wins if the team got the strategy right. He's had bad luck this year, in Australia the team failed to tell him that he had time for another lap in Q1, which knocked him out. Malaysia, gearbox penalty put him down to 10th, China, he was running second, but slipped way down the order in one lap, Bahrain and Spain, missed oppurtunities by the team. Monaco steering issues, Canada differential problem hampered him in qualifying, therefore hampering his race.

His team mate meanwhile I've always rated has been very impressive, but it's worth noting, that he's been racing for a few years now while Raikkonen's not, and he had been running the same tyres that F1 cars did last year, plus he was the Pirelli test driver.

I just think people are very quick to criticise the lad, for instance, his feedback, if you read what his engineers from Sauber, McLaren, Ferrari, and now Lotus say about his feedback, you would be surprised. He is precise, and gets to the point straightaway.

But I guess, to some, he will always be unmotivated, lazy, and disinterested, due to his monosyllabic tone when he speaks to the media :D

I think it boils down to how good the Lotus is going to be throught the year. Besides, Raikkonen is really fast but there are times when he seems to be disconnected. He needs to focus since at the moment is even being beaten by his own teammate.

I've put NO!

Simply for the reason that someone who decides to give up on a whole practise session at Monaco simply because he didn't like the way his power steering felt, will never have the commitment to challenge the best.

Any other driver would have driven out the session with bad power steering and got it fixed between sessions rather than just sitting out. Its not like it was no-functional.

No. Never has been and never will be.

He's fast on his day, but so was Jarno Trulli.

Not saying he's a bad driver or that he doesn't deserve his championship or his Lotus drive, but Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton have done so much more, so much more consistently.

He might have been on the same level, but Kimi hasn't done anything extraordinary with that Lotus yet. I've voted no but I'm ready to change it if nicks a win after a special performance. After all Alonso right in that you know a driver is first rate if they manage to win on merit with a car that shouldn't be winning.

Back
Top Bottom