Ideal F1 Calendar

teabagyokel

#dejavu
Valued Member
First, I'd like to point out I nicked this idea from the F1 Rejects Forum. If you were to design an ideal F1 calendar where would we go and when. Although I don't know too much about the worldwide circuit scene, I'll have a go:

1. Australian GP, Melbourne

I always think Melbourne is a decent start to the year, and hence maintains its role. BTW, this is early March!

2. Pacific GP, Fuji
  3. Korean GP

An Asian double-header, I think a Korean GP would be quality! As for the Pacific GP, just a hint there of what's coming...

4. Turkish GP, Istanbul
  5. Bahrain GP, Sakhir

A Middle East double header, Istanbul & Sakhir aren't too bad!

6. Luxembourg GP, Nurburgring
  7. Spanish/Portugese GP

I think we should visit a Spanish or Portugese circuit at some point, no idea which

8. French GP

I'd like to point out that this will not be at Magny-Cours

9. Canadian GP, Montreal
  10. United States GP

The North America double header would be great, don't know where the USGP would be, wouldn't be too devastated if it was at the Brickyard

11. British GP, Silverstone
  12. German GP, Hockenheimring

A lovely Anglo-Saxon double header there

13. [Eastern Europe]

I'm not against an Eastern Europe GP, just not Hungaroring. I'm led to believe that Brno is a good idea?

14. Belgian GP, Spa-Franchorchamps
  15. Italian GP, Monza

Absolute Classics

16. European GP, Donnington Park

Why not, I say?

17. Singapore GP, Singapore
  18. Japanese GP, Suzuka

Lets get these as a double-header at the end of the season!

19. Argentinian GP
  20. Brazilian GP, Interlagos

An end-of-season prime time South American double-header? What could be better for TV, Bernie? Note the GPs listed together are double-header Grand Prix!

Excellent idea!

1. Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, Sao Paulo
2. Argentine Grand Prix - Potrero de los Funes, San Luis (fabulous new track that FIA GTs raced on last year - around an extinct volcano!)
3. South African Grand Prix - Kyalami (not my favourite, but it's not a world championship without a race in Africa)
4. Dutch Grand Prix - Zandvoort (not quite as good as in the glory days but still fun, fast and great for a holiday)
5. Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo (the classic, of course)
6. Canadian Grand Prix - Mont Tremblant-St. Jovite (terrific, gorgeous undulating course in the mountains of Quebec)
7. United States Grand Prix (East) - Road America, Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin (best road course in the world? Possibly. In the middle of nowheresville)
8. United States Grand Prix (West) - Long Beach Street Circuit, California (blast from the past. A worthy street circuit addition to the calendar)
9. French Grand Prix - Dijon-Prenois (the best of a bad bunch of current circuits in France. I'm taking the Le Mans circuit out of the equation due to safety)
10. British Grand Prix - Brands Hatch (new Donington should be good but Brands remains the best racetrack in the UK in my opinion)
11. German Grand Prix - Nurburgring (sadly the Nordschleife is not possible; however the new track gets the nod over Hockenheim due to history and weather)
12. Czech Republic Grand Prix - Brno (like a mini-Spa. Try to catch the WTCC races there if you can)
13. Turkish Grand Prix - Istanbul Park (best of the Tilke circuits by a mile)
14. Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps
15. Italian Grand Prix - Monza
16. Macau Grand Prix - Macau Guia Street Circuit (certainly the best street circuit in the world. F1 cars round there would be crazy)
17. Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka
18. Australian Grand Prix - Adelaide (a bit better than Melbourne and usually more dramatic; traditional final race of the season)

Here's mine, in no particular order.

1. Brazilian GP - Autódromo José Carlos Pace (Interlagos)
  2. British GP - Brands Hatch
  3. Italian GP - Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari (Imola)
  4. South African GP - Kyalami
  5. French GP - Flins-Les Mureaux (new French circuit planned for 2011)
  6. Turkish GP - Istanbul Park
  7. Canadian GP - Circuit Mont-Tremblant
  8. German GP - Nordschleife (the real Nurburgring)
  9. Argentine GP - Autódromo Oscar Alfredo Gálvez
  10. Malaysian GP - Sepang International Circuit
  11. Chinese GP - Shanghai International Circuit
  12. Dutch GP - Circuit Park Zandvoort
  13. Spanish GP - Circuito Permanente de Jerez
  14. Belgian GP - Spa-Francorchamps
  15. Pacific GP - Tanaka International Circuit (Aida)
  16. Japanese GP - Suzuka Circuit
  17. Macau GP - Macau Guia Street Circuit
  18. Australian GP - Adelaide
  19. European GP - Bugatti Circuit
  20. Brogan GP - Docklands Circuit (so I can watch the race from my balcony :D)

Good call on Macau GM, that would be an amazing circuit to see F1 cars on, even though I'm not a fan of street circuits.

These would be my 'fantasy circuits', but won't happen as most have been demolished/neglected/redesigned

South Africa - The original Kyalami
Argentina - The original Autódromo Juan y Oscar Gálvez
Brazil - Rio de Janeiro
Europe - Dijon
Monaco - Monte Carlo
Canada - Montreal
USA - Road America
France - Full length Paul Ricard
Britain - Brands Hatch
Germany - Nurburgring - Was tempted to choose the longer Hockenheimring, the early 80's version.
Austria - Osterriechring
Holland - Zandvoort
Belgium - Spa-Francorchamps
Italy - Monza
Mexico - Mexico City
Japan - Fuji
Australia - Adelaide

If we're talking modern/possible circuits only, then

Australia - Melbourne
Malaysia - Sepang
Europe - Donington alternating with Imola
Portugal - Portimáo looked ok when I saw the A1GP
Monaco - Monte Carlo
Canada - Montreal
USA - Is Road America upto standard? If not, Indy I suppose, as Laguna Seca is a bit short
France - Dijon (Also a bit short)
Britain - Silverstone
Germany - Nurburgring
Turkey - Istanbul
Belgium - Spa-Francorchamps
Italy - Monza
Japan - Fuji
Mexico - Mexico City
Brazil - Interlagos

Brogan said:
20) Brogan GP - Docklands Circuit (so I can watch the race from my balcony :D)

I don't think we can sanction the "Brogan GP" to be honest, just so you can cheapskate a race without paying for tickets...

I forgot about the A1-Ring, that was going to go in at one point, don't know why it didn't..., I think we'll go to Austria until the French get a circuit together.

No way will there be a Chinese GP, those empty seats with EXPO2010 written on them don't look too good to me - and what the hell is that gravel trap doing in the pit-lane? Sheesh, you get huge run-off anywhere else!

a few suprise chioces there by some of you. Aida! for instance
well heres my calander

1) Austraillian GP - Bathurst!
2) Malaysia GP - Sepang (At midday :snigger: )
3) Pacific GP - Fuji
4) Monte Carlo GP - Monaco
5) German GP - Nordschiefe :o
6) British GP - Brands Hatch
7) USA GP - Laguna Seca
8) Candaien GP - Montreal
9) Brazil GP - Interlargos
10) Belgian GP - Spa Francorchamps
11) Italian GP - Monza GP
12) Dutch GP - Zandvoort
13) European GP - Bruno (CZE)
14) Spanish GP - Jerez
15) Turkish GP - Istanbul
16) South Africa GP - Durban (the ex A1 GP track, not the best tack but Africa Must have a GP)
17) Japenese GP - Susuka
18) Argentina GP - San Luis (The increadble WGT track)

might jig things around in terms of order but those are the 1s I'd go for.

Andrea_Moda_Rules said:
5) German GP - Nordschiefe :o

I tell you what, with the current qualifying regulations the Nordschliefe session would be good, you only get one lap! They'd all be a bunch of Vettels out there! James Hunt got pole at the last Nordschliefe race with a time of 7m06.5! They completed 14 laps in an hour and 40 minutes! I'd hate to be in that grandstand..., and to think they shortened Hockers so the fans could see it! And then there is all this rubbish about driver safety...!

teabagyokel said:
I tell you what, with the current qualifying regulations the Nordschliefe session would be good, you only get one lap! They'd all be a bunch of Vettels out there! James Hunt got pole at the last Nordschliefe race with a time of 7m06.5! They completed 14 laps in an hour and 40 minutes! I'd hate to be in that grandstand..., and to think they shortened Hockers so the fans could see it! And then there is all this rubbish about driver safety...!

I didn't think of that actually lol, but if was incharge of the Calander nodoubt I would be incharge of Quali rules too. and wouldn't go for the 'knockout sessions' I hate them there too.......gimmicky?, thats proberly the wrong to decribe what i feel bout it. but I would go for the superpole rules with a few differnces, Its the wrong place to say how i would change it, perhaps a disccussion for somewhere else perhaps

Andrea_Moda_Rules said:
teabagyokel said:
James Hunt got pole at the last Nordschliefe race with a time of 7m06.5!

lol, his tyres would have been shot to bits by the time he came to his flying lap! They would have to put race fuel in for out lap, flying lap and in lap! :o

Anyway, not much you could add to the list there, I think Potrero, as GM pointed out, would be a great inclusion and would give South America the two races it deserves. I would also go with a season opener in Melbourne and the last race at Adelaide. The original Hockenheim and Osterreichring would also be musts.

Back
Top Bottom