How could F1 be improved?

Hello Richard

Just had a read of your manifesto, very interesting stuff, some of it I would question (but not to veraciously, you sound much smarter than I) but on the whole it seems to capture much of the conversation we have had in the past several years.

Some elements I am sure you would agree are unworkable though desirable (H gate transmission in F1, would be great but the cockpit is just too tight and they wont open it up due to safety, even as you say the danger must be tolerated but progress cannot be reversed) but on the whole I would say a very interesting read.

One question, and it may be answered within but I missed it), you show a graph of the idea to allow that vehicles should be able to compete together but with the divergent engine spec with larger more powerful engines competing in heavy cars against small light low power engines (reminds me of those videos from BTCC in the 70s with mini coopers being mullered on the straights by V8 Cadilacs but absolutely blitzing them in the corners); however, I would like to ask how you would balance the speed through fast corners as the Red Bulls this season have shown that you can make up much more speed in medium and fast corners than on any straight, would the weight differential be dependent upon the track itself and altered accordingly as i would imagine that very very quickly a fairly universal compromise would be reached as it would be in no-ones best interests to go to far to either extreme; perhaps variable torque of the engines matched with a top speed restriction would be worthy of consideration.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your comments. Re; the H gate gearbox. I'm not sure what the safety concerns would be if there was slightly more room for a moving fist (Rubens always manages OK when near Michael). But I can imagine that trying to impliment any aspect of DG by superimposing it onto an existing rule book (with its culture of fixed geometry) would be fraught with problems such as physical room. The way to go would be a clean sheet approach and then I'm sure the difficulty of (slightly) more space for the gear lever, and frenetic fist, would not be a real issue with regard packaging or safety.

Re; fast corners. The mathematical relationships would be derived through simulation to ensure a design placed anywhere on any curve (of the relationships) would have an equal chance of a championship win. e.g. at an elementary level, the sum of a seasons theoretical best lap times would be equal for all possible designs. This would enable diversity of design but (as you rightly say, would not ensure it). The belief is that the framework would result in a full spectrum of difference so that there are neigbouring designs, with similar performance, and altogether different designs (with thier own near neigbours) with a greater performance differential. This should create battles up and down a field and an opportunity for different teams (and designs) to shine at different venues. So to answer your question, I would not be proposing the relationships change per the venue, just that the teams would win some and loose some and the championship would go to the team who had made the best use of the strategy they'd chosen. The document does go through this, so I'm guessing you had a quick skim through, which is understandable.

Re; the diversity guarantee. The diversity that would be experienced is actually likely to be far more robust than imagined. Have a read of the news item (on the website) regarding the work to be performed at Cambridge Uni.

Thanks again

Rich

There isn't really that much wrong with F1 at the moment because we've seen some of the best races in history in the last 5 years 8-)

Its what the rulemakers have done to try and create more passing and then the DDD came along and nullified it :givemestrength: that is the problem. The knee jerk reaction to one boring race which makes more boring races

The cars are too even in power output so the slipstream effect is so low where in other series the effect is much more pronounced, such as GP2 and Superleague >:( >:(

How about a ban on telemetry and driver radio communication? This would put the drivers back into a position of having to decided when to push, when to conserve fuel & tyres and, basically, put the emphasis back on them to control their race rather than letting the teams decide.

It would also put an end to the driver "lobbying" we saw in Korea with Red Bull and Ferrari trying to get the race stopped and Mclaren pushing for it to continue.

Some interesting ideas, a lot of what I agree with..

I think the simplest, and cheapest, way to improve F1, is to improve the quality of the TV production, and the way the sport portrays itself in the media.

Had planned to do a longer piece but I just realised I have some washing to do.. I shall return, as they say..

Back
Top Bottom