Hispania (Campos) may miss all pre-season testing

Re: Campos may miss all pre-season testing

Why is Bernie so desperate to see Campos on the grid? I thought he was going mad over the Stefan F1 team, which kind of suggests that he has something against US F1, or he would have been happy to see Campos replaced.

Interesting thought. Bernie has always been quoted as believing that US F1 would be the team to not make it to the grid. He's never shown much enthusiasm for North America as a whole in the last few years.

Wasn't sure whether to post this on the Stefan GP thread or the Campos Thread. This article is a few days old but it claims Stefan GP have bought the rights to the Dallara chassis to make sure Campos don't make it onto the grid, not because they want to use it. There are also reports claiming USF1 are bidding to buy the car which could be more understandable

I know F1 has been describe as the "Piranha Club" but this just isn't cricket (to mix my metaphores) and doesn't reflect well on the owner of Stefan GP, should it be true. What if they make the grid? Will we see team members sneaking into the other teams garages late at night p#ssing into the other cars fuel tanks?

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=356469

I don't believe that article for one second.

Stefan GP want on the grid that much is clear but why waste money buying two sets of cars. We all know that F1 is an expensive game so team owners (no matter how flash for cash they think they are) are not going to chuck it away like that. What if it all falls down and he dosn't get on the grid at all.

From the latest reports elsewhere in the motoring press, Bernie is still pushing for a tie up between Campos and VW. Campos have got new backers on board with Adrian Campos stepping away from the running of the team and looking for a new role within the company and it would seem that they have a stronger base to work from.

Weather or not they get to the first race of the season remains to be seen but it's apparently looking a lot better for them now. Given that Lotus and Virgin are some 3 to 4 seconds off the pace at the moment it's imperative that any new constructor starts to get to work on a car now unless they intend to spend at least the first 4 races as nothing more than a mobile chicane. I speculated in this thread that it could also be quite dangerous to run a car without any pre-season testing as well.

And they're going to turn up in Bahrain next week without having driven a single kilometre in testing.

I can't see them being very competitive.

Brogan said:
And they're going to turn up in Bahrain next week without having driven a single kilometre in testing.

I can't see them being very competitive.

Do we even know if the car is going to be safe to drive? (as I believe CaT alluded to in some of his posts)

They won't be allowed to compete unless the chassis has passed all the crash tests.

I think I remember seeing that Dallara had sorted that out? It would make sense for them to take responsibility for that aspect.

Once in Melbourne they'll go through a full scrutineering process as well. Obviously if the car is losing its rear wing after half a lap or something, one would hope common sense will prevail (as it has done in the past).

GordonMurray said:
They won't be allowed to compete unless the chassis has passed all the crash tests.

Virgin had presumably passed all the crash tests, but that didn't stop bits falling off the car. Plus, if the drivers have little idea how the car will handle under different conditions, finding out first free practice with other teams on track is hardly the best time (especially as their drivers are not what you would call "experienced" as far as an F1 car goes.)

fat_jez said:
Virgin had presumably passed all the crash tests, but that didn't stop bits falling off the car. Plus, if the drivers have little idea how the car will handle under different conditions, finding out first free practice with other teams on track is hardly the best time (especially as their drivers are not what you would call "experienced" as far as an F1 car goes.)

Where's your sense of adventure? This is what F1 should be about. Send your driver out, if he's not back in five minutes, go and look for him!

I should imagine if Hispania are the first out in Friday practice, the other teams might well hang back for a minute or two...

GordonMurray said:
I should imagine if Hispania are the first out in Friday practice, the other teams might well hang back for a minute or two...
LOL

I'd want a good half circuit between me and them.

Yep, but according to para 5.1.2

The driver must also satisfy at least one of the following
requirements:

c) been classified, within the previous 2 years, in the first 3 of
the final classification of the F2 Championship, or of the final
classification of the GP2 Series, or of the final classification
of the GP2 Asia Series or of the final classification of the
Japanese F/Nippon Championship,

His best finish in the GP2 Championship was 10th.

cider_and_toast said:
Yep, but according to para 5.1.2

The driver must also satisfy at least one of the following
requirements:

c) been classified, within the previous 2 years, in the first 3 of
the final classification of the F2 Championship, or of the final
classification of the GP2 Series, or of the final classification
of the GP2 Asia Series or of the final classification of the
Japanese F/Nippon Championship,

His best finish in the GP2 Championship was 10th.

I think the first 3 only applies to F2? I think he just had to be classified in GP2 or Japanese F/Nippon.

So not only did HRT not make a single test session, they've not even been able to get both cars out in free practice and the one car they did get out was 10 seconds off the pace. Can we say liability? Accident waiting to happen?

Fat_Jez said :

Can we say liability? Accident waiting to happen?

I have to agree with FJ on this one. Since the FIA and Bernie are meant to ensure the safety of both spectators and participants. I think allowing an untested car out on a F1 track is sheer stupidity. To quote David Coulthard 'Formula One is not a finishing school. Either you come prepared, or prepare to fail.'

Back
Top Bottom