Heidfeld's Penalty

GeoffP

Wake me when we’re there
Contributor
What's going on here?

Just noticed Heidfeld got a three place penalty for going into the pits. This ruined Barrichello's lap, but is a problem of circuit design, so surely they should engage brains before blandly applying rules.

Or is this why they've invented the 3 place drop specially for this occasion. Sailing close to the boring wind here, but what's going on?

Yes I just read that.
The 3 points is obviously some kind of concession as I've never heard of a 3 place drop before.

In addition, Barrichello was fined for not using the slow down lane even though he was forced to abort due to Heidfeld being in the way.

It's a really badly designed track and I hope there isn't an accident tomorrow because of it.

Didn't spot they'd got Barrichello aswell - maybe if they fined them they could put the money towards sorting out some of these "glitches"

Having thought some more about this....

They penalised Heidfeld for using the deceleration zone and blocking Barrichello.
They penalised Barrichello for being blocked by Heidfeld and being forced to pit without using the deceleration zone.

You couldn't make it up ROFL

I mentioned the pit lane in the thread I started about the track, didn;t think that the entrance would have been the problem in pracdtice though. Can't wait to see the mayhem on the exit during the race - lucky there's a big run off area .....

There is going to be such a big accident there tomorrow it's unfunny :(

In the past most team have proved that they can't release a car from the pits even when they can see the car approaching, how are they going to manage in the heat of the race to manage to see if driver X has done a 1:20 something up until the start of the 3rd sector so that their driver will get out in front of a car bearing down at 180Mph? Or what happens if they do calculate it to the second and there is a problem with a pitstop? are they going to hold their drivers? I don't think so.

There is a run off area but it'll be dirty and dusty and I can envisage someone spearing into the barriers if they have to get out of turn 1 at high speed

It beggars belief why this wasn't dealt with before

Here is the only video I can find of the exit, I think a Honda is leaving and watch for the speed the Toyota appears on the scene.

Don't get me started on the entrance ;)

Here is onboard with Reubens (what is he counting on his hand in the pits?)

The Stewards have established that if, during the race, someone pits while someone else is behind them, they can be given a penalty! I think we can all guess the colour of the cars that will be exempt from this rule.

So what happens if the car in front needs to pit but is forced to go around the circuit again and runs out of fuel?

What an absolutely crazy rule that just reinforces the farcical nature of F1 and its rules......

Croydon Bob said:
The Stewards have established that if, during the race, someone pits while someone else is behind them, they can be given a penalty! I think we can all guess the colour of the cars that will be exempt from this rule.

You think all cars should be painted red from now on then??

Back
Top Bottom