Hamilton's engine situation and championship implication

Absolutely cider_and_toast. Usually the case, Alonso is probably the only driver in the last 20 or so years to win his Championships without the benefit of the best car under him. A good car yes, but not the best.

Last edited:
Would it be fair to say Hamilton has an engine advantage now? I understood Rosberg took his 4th engine for this race, and his previous 3 engines are an older spec. Hamilton now has 3 engines which he can use for the rest of season vs 1 for Rosberg. In principle it means he could run higher engine speeds (although Mercedes may not allow that).

The grid place drop thing is totally irrelevant for the back of the field as well. If you are in a Sauber or Manor, other than having no money, there really is nothing stopping you from taking a new engine and gearbox every race. This penalty system only really punishes the people fighting for the championship. Which is mad, do we really want a championship decided because someone ran out of engines.

There has to be a better solution than penalty grid drops. Maybe removing constructors points. I don't think fines are the solution either, that just benefits the big teams who can easily afford it and could finish off the struggling teams further down the grid.

Losing constructor points wouldn't have mattered a lot to Mercedes in the past years.
You could say though that a every place you can't be dropped adds a second to your race. It still wouldn't matter a lot to the backmarkers though.

Losing constructor points wouldn't have mattered a lot to Mercedes in the past years.
You could say though that a every place you can't be dropped adds a second to your race. It still wouldn't matter a lot to the backmarkers though.
They had that uptill half-way through last season... Fans complained...

I don't know about Merc not caring about championship points. Would they really be happy to throw a way 55 points? I doubt they would have taken a third engine for Hamilton if it cost theem championship points.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom