Ground Effect. Should it be forced through for 2013.

Should ground effect aero be forced through for 2013 against the teams wishes ?

• Total voters
Surely it would be best to introduce all the radical changes at once, instead of constantly having to make a series of major design changes over a period of years?

So bring in the new floor, get rid of DRS, 18" wheels, narrower front wing, etc.

Just think, for once all of the teams would pretty much be on equal footing.
Now that would be a season worth watching!

Didn't that kind of happen in 2009? apart from Brawn found a way to get an advantage at begining of the year. If you look at the second half of the season there was really no way to predict who was going to be where on the grid. Spa that year being a prime example.

yet that season is labelled as being dull. go figure!

I was going to say something to that effect Rasputin.

You can never predict how a rules shakeup will affect the grid. There is no guaranty that it will create a level playing field, or even an exciting one for that matter.

Since when does everyone think that the FIA knows whats best for everybody else? If FOTA agrees as a block that they do not want to utilize ground effect at this point in time, then why should anyone be able to tell them otherwise.

Perhaps that's why FOTA don't want another raft of major rules changes - they fear that someone will "do a Brawn" to them again?

(mind you, that's pretty much what Red Bull are doing to them now...:snigger:)

Well to be fair to Brawn/Honda, it was ditching 2008 and spending the year in development for 2009, not just a blown diffuser or whatever innovation.

Since when does everyone think that the FIA knows whats best for everybody else? If FOTA agrees as a block that they do not want to utilize ground effect at this point in time, then why should anyone be able to tell them otherwise.

I think a lot of people on here look forward to the day that there is not a huge hole in the air behind an F1 car, that's all....

Surely it would be best to introduce all the radical changes at once, instead of constantly having to make a series of major design changes over a period of years?

So bring in the new floor, get rid of DRS, 18" wheels, narrower front wing, etc.

Just think, for once all of the teams would pretty much be on equal footing.
Now that would be a season worth watching!

Darn straight. I have been looking forward to 2013 for exactly that reason. It will be a pure developement race over the winter from effectively a clean slate ANY team could get the lucky break and hit the nail on the head. Just think of that a HRT on pole for half the season. It could maybe just happen. maybe.........well ......hmm .. I might of gone to far with that one.

So from what I have read here, all you guys want racing?

I have to admit that I'm not the smartest cookie when it comes to all the engineering ins and outs, despite reading and having "things" explained to me, but it would be nice to have the participants decide for once - so I'll vote 'no' for now.

Actually, the FIA/FOTA horsetrading over specs and regs is getting quite interesting, what with FOTA dismissing Todt's proposal to bring back in-season testing, and now declining ground-effect in favour of reduced aero, and even trying to freeze the engine change in favour of fuel-limitation instead...hmm - reading that back, it rather looks as if FOTA are drawing a series of lines in the sand and daring the FIA to try and cross them. Perhaps they feel emboldened by the Newscorp/Exor backing?

Well, Todt has a veto over any potential buyer for the commercial rights. So they don't want to push him too far, I'd suggest.

Has there been an FIA response yet? I wonder whether Todt has conceded this as part of some wider calculation/deal...

I do agree that something needs to be done to make F1 abit more greener. But i don't think the teams should be forced into a whole new set of regulations at once. They should slowly introduce new bits into the cars each season. It doesn't have to be a big change all at once.

Some kinda comedy going on here! I posted this in the other thread about the EBD directive as the issues are related. I think I'm being a bit cheeky so I will not be displeased if the Mod's tell me off for doing so.

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the effect of the EBD was to speed up airflow through the diffuser and therefore beneath the car increasing ground effect.

The main issue facing cars travelling in the dirty air of another in front is the reduction in efficiency of the front wing. So, if EBD 's are restricted and therefore less efficient in conferring downforce via ground effect, it then it falls back to good old aero' downforce from the wings.

The net effect of this ruling then, is loss of downforce overall as the front wing will need to be shallower to reduce front downforce to compensate for the losses at the rear and the resultant oversteer. The consequences are lower cornering speeds and more vulnerability to the turbulant wake of the car ahead.

Brilliant! The FIA have basically said "okay if you don't to mess with your floors and get more ground effect, then we'll take away some of what little ground effect you've got. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!"

AND, LO, IT CAME TO PASS

And so it was written, there was a man who came from the west, he was short in stature and white of hair, and lo, he proclaimed "There shall be concorde between our tribes" - In the year of 81 the tribes joined together behind the little man against the big bad King Balestre and it came to pass that there was peace.

Many years pass and the little man from the west is now promoted to position of King and it came time for the tribes to pay tribute to the king, the king and his court now think the tribes are getting uppity and make more demands before there could be peace again in the land. The tribes rattle their swords and the King stamps his feet and all of the land are deeply confused.

Then it shall come to pass that the tribes will sheath their swords and the King will reduce his tribute and there shall be Concorde within the land again...........until next time.

IMG_7270-medium.jpg

Is not the main problem with ground effect down force that if you go over a bump/stone in the road you lose all the ground effect downforce instantly and your off.

If the airflow is disturbed to much by either a slipstream of the front of the car raising for a fraction of a second then you lose all the ground effect downforce instantly and your off.

Whereas chassis downforce is much more consistent.

Personally Id like a shift from chassis to ground effect but not too much.
Much larger much grippier tyres for mechanical grip.
Keep the tyre durability as it is.
Increase horsepower to around 800-900.
remove DRS.
allow KERS to be used for all the lap.
Give the teams more friday running.

Back
Top Bottom