Formula 2 GP2 2012

If it was me, I would increase the race distance a bit, and get rid of the mandatory pit stop; if people want to risk not stopping, go for it I say! It would certainly make races more exciting I think.

Well in just under 4 weeks time we'll have our GP2 champion and with 120 points still up for grabs its far from over but it does look like its going to be between Razia and Valsecchi - although Gutierrez's win in the sprint race at Hungary did put him in with an outside chance.

Personally I think Razia would be the more deserving champion but what do other people think?

After the championship end there is of course the small question of who jumps up to F1. Gutierrez is the most likely as Sauber have been grooming him to take over when Perez leaves for Ferrari for a while now. Max Chilton has had his foot in the door at Force India for a while and they might take a gamble on him if Di Resta leaves. What about Razia? Do we see Caterham taking him on?

What about Valsecchi? After all he could easily be champion. I guess the sponsorship isn't quite there for him. Feel like he's gonna end up how Grosjean was.

Valsecchi is a possibility and he does have links to Caterham as well but I think he's not looked at as much due to the fact he's about to turn 26 and this is his 5th season in GP2 and he's not really made much of an impression before this year. I think he's quick but it just feels like there are some younger more marketable drivers around him that might get the nod.

Having said that there was an out cry in Italy about them not having a driver on the grid this season and Valsecchi is the only option I can see for that to change!

I think G might be right about the current crop of GP2ers with.

Valsecchi is 25 points in front of Razia who with only 48 points left avaliable is the only person who can stop him from taking the GP2 title - and - I think - becoming the next Pantano as I've heard no talk at all of any F1 team taking him on for the year following. Razia is a possibility with Caterham but losing to Valsecchi hasn't done him any favours when whilst Caledo was suppose to be the next big thing in the Eric Boullier stable but has shown a touch of madness this year. Gutteriez looks the only one likely to go up a step and thats more to do with being at the heart of the Sauber team for last 2 years and their need for Mexican sponsorship than anything else.

Not a GP2 field to remember this year. Having said that Chilton and Nasr are only 20 odd and look promising.

Back
Top Bottom