Current George Russell

Who is George Russell asked Titch - well he's is 21 year old from Norfolk who the latest Brit on the F1 grid. For once I can actually say I've watched this kid all the way up the ladder.

I first saw Russell in BRDC F4 (thank you ITV4) and he stood out then because in a field full of kids putting everything on the line for a win he was the only one who had the brain to think about the championship race and realise getting a decent haul of points was sometimes more important than chucking it in do or die style for the win. Low and behold he won the title. I next see him in European F3 in a field containing Felix Rosenqvist, Antonio Giovanazzi and Charles LeClerc. He was mostly midfield that year but spent a lot of time wheel banging with LeClerc. Word in the paddock is the two really don't like each other much. Shortly after that he got the ART seat in GP3 and pretty much walked his way to the title.

Which brings us to last year in F2. I'll be honest as much as I rated Russell I thought he was going to be crushed by Lando Norris - he wasn't. Once again he used his tactical brain to consistently get results and dominate the championship. It was very impressive considering the strength of the field. So Russell comes into F1 with back to back titles in GP3 and F2. The only other person to do that is his mate Charles LeClerc. So Russell is a very deserved addition to the grid.

With all the good stuff out the way it's time to focus on the bad news for Russell. As much as he is probably ecstatic to be in F1 his head is probably dropping at the fact that the team he has signed for have some serious problems. Williams have already missed two days of testing and the car is rumoured to be even slower than last years. So it could be a season of being at the back for George which is all good as long as he beats his team mate right? Well unfortunately this is not a good situation for Russell either as his team mate is Robert Kubica. If Russell beats him it'll be put down to the fact that Bobby is not the same driver after his injuries. If he gets beat by him people will ask why he couldn't beat a veteran who suffered almost career ending injuries. It really is a no win situation.

Russell's saving factor might be the fact he is a Merc junior driver. He has to hope that he has a good enough season to make people forget Ocon is on the sidelines. That paired with Bottas having an awful year could see Mercedes decide to take a chance on him in the A team. Personally I don't think Mercedes would ever run two Brits in their car so it might be the best he can hope for is a Racing Point seat becoming open.

So any thoughts on Russell?

Mod Chat.

Evening all. I've not had to resort to orange text for a while but a gentle reminder, if anyone has any issues with posts or posters please use the report feature.

Cheers chums.

Now back to enjoying the delightful bank holiday sunshine and a few drinkies.

is it best we talk about George Russell. :D

i will be intrested in 2022 in how he reacts to the pressure if/when he gets the mercedes, because at the moment i say this with love because i rate him highly & is gentleman out of the car. but at the moment, he has so much cash in the bank. he can get away with murder at Williams & drives under no pressure because what ever he does is a bonus & he keeps beating latifi every week

but what is going to happen when he has to take Lewis Hamilton 1 of the best drivers of the last 40 yrs. if he gets on a bad run & the tough questions get asked

George had the pressure when he replaced Bottas, Mercedes will only require him to beat Verstappen and sit nicely behind Lewis, if he beats Lewis all well and good. He proved a Mercedes can overtake a Mercedes in a straight fight without orders an a few others which until he drove the car was in doubt

Russell will face a high degree of pressure based on the expectation he will perform well.

One thing Mercedes are going to need is someone who can gain a lot of feedback from a car in a short space of time. 2022 will see some big changes and there's zero guarantee that Mercedes will remain the dominant team. It only takes one team to invent one super Mcguffin for their car and they could be Champions for the next five years.

i would disagree in a way Dartman because in sakhir, i think he was on bonus again. within reason. because nobody expected him to beat bottas & all the pressure was on bottas. even he said he shouldnt be able to do what he eventually did do. he just had to qualify on front 2 rows & finish on podium.

2022 is good point because it could be 2009 all over again & mercedes could be midfield like ferrari were in 2009

Here you go Titch
According to the Online Etymology Dictionary, the word “jot” stems from the Latin “jota” which is a derivation of the Greek “i
ota”, the smallest letter of the Greek alphabet. ... And it has taken this meaning as both noun (the smallest letter) and verb (to write a small amount).
So it really can mean a few things very similar FA which also has a few meanings LOL

Last edited:
it was a Brilliant qualifying lap, 1 of the greats & so in a way it deserved an award. but yes having a podium & trophies was stupid today. it shouldve been called null & void

Shades of Indy 2005
5E714D8C-F08F-4A12-A7FE-927D4336537F.jpeg

What's worse, celebrating finishing third after being one of only 6 cars to go the full race distance or celebrating 2nd after being one of twenty cars to complete 2 laps in start order behind the safety car and that being called full race distance?

I think Montero's third place is by some distance the least shit of the two.

Back
Top Bottom