French Grand Prix

Speshal

World Champion
Valued Member
From the Valencia race thread CaT wrote

I absolutely hate this circuit. And just so there's no doubt, I utterly, totally, 150% percent, hate this circuit.

I can't believe we have to suffer this poorly designed, comedy circuit when there isn't a race in France which was one of the founding fathers of Motorsport.

Ask and ye shall receive............

French prime minister Francois Fillon has created a taskforce charged with resurrecting the French Grand Prix. The group includes Paul Ricard circuit director Gerard Neveu, which suggests that the track that hosted the race 14 times between 1971 and 1990 is the most likely venue. As an active circuit, it could allow the French Grand Prix to return to the calendar as early as 2013 if a promoter were to be able to strike a deal for a world championship race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92501

Personally, I think it would be great to have a French Grand Prix again, it may well keep Renault interested and in the sport - They could hold it the weekend after Monaco as it's only 100ish miles down the road.

Would you like to see the French GP return and if so at Paul Ricard or elsewhere? Reims anyone LOL

ricard01.jpg

It would be great to see a French GP again. Paul Ricard is certainly an interesting choice of track and I guess it helps that it is part owned by a certain MR B Ecclestone.

I really hope there is a revived French Grand Prix (either at Paul Ricard or a street circuit in Paris (see street circuit thread) bu NOT at Magny-Cours for obvious reasons!), in place of the European round, so the calendar doesn't become too congested, with Russia coming in 2014 and Hong Kong wanting a race. However, I really hope it doesn't alternate with the Belgian Grand Prix, because it is one of my favourite GP's of the year, and I personally don't believe ion alternated races - for example, I just think that the German GP should just be at the Nurburgring, not at the Nurburgring and Hockenheim. So a French GPq would be brilliant, because the first GP ever was held there (in 1894) and it is one of the main motorsport countries not to have a GP.
Have it instead of Valencia, or Bahrain, or even better, both!!!

d I guess it helps that it is part owned by a certain MR B Ecclestone.

ROFL I did not know that......So Paul Ricard it is then for 2013 LOL

It has all the credentials regarding circuit length and number of corners and with the tungsten run off area that could make things interesting if a driver gets it wrong, it seems like a viable option to me.

I really hope there is a revived French Grand Prix (either at Paul Ricard or a street circuit in Paris (see street circuit thread) bu NOT at Magny-Cours for obvious reasons!), in place of the European round, so the calendar doesn't become too congested, with Russia coming in 2014 and Hong Kong wanting a race. However, I really hope it doesn't alternate with the Belgian Grand Prix, because it is one of my favourite GP's of the year, and I personally don't believe ion alternated races - for example, I just think that the German GP should just be at the Nurburgring, not at the Nurburgring and Hockenheim. So a French GPq would be brilliant, because the first GP ever was held there (in 1894) and it is one of the main motorsport countries not to have a GP.
Have it instead of Valencia, or Bahrain, or even better, both!!!

Excuse my naivety, but what is the obvious reason for not staging the race at Mangy Cours? I know quite a lot about the sport in general but I have no idea about that! :)

I'd love the French GP to come back on the calendar. Kinda miss looking at the calendar and seeing it not their (sad i know).

I like Paul Richard, as you can make it a changable circuit every season which would be found. But please can we get rid of the bright colours going around the track, don't get me wrong it nice to see a bit of colour but at the mo the blue lines are too much.

Manky Course is a blooming awful circuit which is in the middle of nowhere that everyone hated hence why it was dropped.

I really like Paul Ricard and the idea of F1 cars whizzing through Paris sounds cool too but I always hoped they'd hold something at or near Le Mans as its stooped in motorsport history.

The French are due a boom - If Mr Grosjean got his act together he could boost the intrest in the sport and maybe Renault should sign up baby Prost? who knows.

Excuse my naivety, but what is the obvious reason for not staging the race at Mangy Cours? I know quite a lot about the sport in general but I have no idea about that! :)

I think it was to do with the fact that the circuit was in the middle of nowhere with no decent hotels, restuarants or transport links for all the "beautiful people" to hang about in.

On the French GP generally, I think Bernie used it as an example to prove that no country had a right to a GP no matter what their history. Made the guys at Silverstone buck their ideas up didn't it?

All those stripes are a tad too psychadelic for me these days (I feel I'm having a flashback :o)...
Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge straight for F1... wonder where the DRS zone will be - you could have two on the same length of track!
I do remember there being some good races in the past but my main memories (fading now) are of Yellow Renault turbos blowing up quite frequently.

It would be great to go back there and probably an improvement on Magny Cours or some of the existing races.
But oh those stripes.... wooooooooooh

On 29 March 2007 it was announced by the FFSA, the race promoter, that the 2008 French Grand Prix was put on an indefinite "pause". This suspension was due to the financial situation of the circuit, known to be disliked by many in F1 due to the circuit's location

Thanks, Speshal! So basically there wasn't much interest. At least not enough to offset the pull of the Abu Dhabi and the Korean governments and the like.

I think it's a long shot. Greece, Portugal, Ireland, Spain and the like are undergoing austerity and France will be undergoing it as well...so, unlike past times at Magny Cours, it'll have to be pretty much a 'private' venture.

I speak for myself when I say that I miss the Magny Cours GP, I thought it was a good race track, but like everything, change is needed.

I don't know if one can really classify Monaco as French so technically France don't have one which is a shame considering Renaults influence in F1

I remember the races being alternated between Dijon-Prenois in Burgundy and Paul Ricard at Le Castellet. I'm taking the old Ricard...the pre-Elio de Angelis crash circuit with it's long Mistral Straight on which they'd be at full throttle for 22-odd seconds!

Then poor Elio had his absoutely horrific testing crash at the fast S section beyond the Start/Finish straight and the authorities - following in the kneejerk reaction in the aftermath of the young Italian's death - decided to cut out that section and halfed the Mistral. Ricard isn't what it used to be.

I really like Paul Ricard and the idea of F1 cars whizzing through Paris sounds cool too but I always hoped they'd hold something at or near Le Mans as its stooped in motorsport history.

F1 and Le Mans are more different than ever before, and it would almost certainly mean racing at Bugatti :cry:. Although they did have the first Grand Prix l'ACF. Dijon and Clemont (only if they use a bit more of the old circuit) are both near cities of about 150,00 people. (Not like about 850,000 of Paul Ricard). But imagine F1 cars speeding around Reims or Rouen...[/quote]

The Bugatti circuit is one of the few in the world that can make a 'bike race boring. Watching cars on that track is easily outclassed by watching paint dry in the dark as a spectacle worthy of televisual broadcastification.

I used to like Magny Cours. Was it not a circuit which was designed to have some of the best corners from other tracks? I may be wrong.

I think it would be great to get a French GP back on the calendar. Paul Ricard would be a good place to start. I suppose Clermont Ferrand would be out of the question!

I used to like Magny Cours. Was it not a circuit which was designed to have some of the best corners from other tracks? I may be wrong.

I think it would be great to get a French GP back on the calendar. Paul Ricard would be a good place to start. I suppose Clermont Ferrand would be out of the question!

Best corners, not best overtaking corners however. I think that Paul Ricard is a bit too small. Unless they can widen the track so F1 cars can be 3 abreast then maybe but currently I think they would struggle to overtake due to the lack of space, sort it out then go there! I'm all for it!

Stooped = bent over
Steeped = soaked in

The price of pedantry is constant vigilance. :whistle:

(I need a "pedant hat" smiley :twisted:)

Back
Top Bottom