Current FOTA on where we are now

Ferrari are putting their foot down.

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali insists the FIA cannot include his outfit on the entry list for 2010 when it is published on Friday, unless the governing body has agreed to demands laid down by the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA).
"Ferrari's position has not changed," Domenicali said. "Back on 29 May, we put in a conditional entry with the other teams that make up FOTA. Along with this entry, we put forward to the FIA a package of proposals which included among other elements, a significant reduction in costs.

"As always, we will do all we can to find a solution that is acceptable to all parties. If this is not possible, then the FIA will not be able to include Ferrari in the list of teams entered for the 2010 FIA Formula 1 World Championship."

So on the face of it, Ferrari are prepared to go all the way and stick with FOTA, even if it means not being included in the 2010 line up.

I guess we'll find out in 2 days what's going to happen.

More here: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75994

As expected, the FIA-FOTA dispute is being played out in the media.

This from the FIA today:
"As agreed at the meeting of 11 June, FIA financial experts met yesterday with financial experts from FOTA.

"Unfortunately, the FOTA representatives announced that they had no mandate to discuss the FIA's 2010 financial regulations. Indeed, they were not prepared to discuss regulation at all.

"As a result, the meeting could not achieve its purpose of comparing the FIA's rules with the FOTA proposals with a view to finding a common position.

"In default of a proper dialogue, the FOTA financial proposals were discussed but it became clear that these would not be capable of limiting the expenditure of a team which had the resources to outspend its competitors. Another financial arms race would then be inevitable.

"The FIA Financial Regulations therefore remain as published."

More here: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76244

I expect it will be a few hours before we hear FOTA's response

I thought the FiA was dead against a concorde agreement, as without one they can change the rules as and when they please? If so then they'll just reject FOTAs' proposal out of hand.

On the face of it, it looks like FOTA has blinked first.

If true this is bad for the future of F1 as it will strengthen Max's hand and allow him to push through even more of his ideas.

Max's position doesn't look terribly appetising to me.

He's asking the FOTA teams to sign an unlimited extension to the previous Concorde Agreement, with the promise of some talks, some time, in the future, whenever, to discuss a new document.

Likewise the teams are expected to sign up unconditionally to the 2010 Regulations "as published". If he means "as published on the FIA website", then that's two tiers.

And what's the hurry anyway with the deadline? The new teams know they're in, and are going to get on with their plans regardless of Max's fun and games with FOTA. Obviously the fine detail of the Technical Regulations is important, but I can't see Manor F1's plans being thrown off-track if four-wheel-drive is banned, somehow...

jenov2003 said:
Why should the Cosworth engines be allowed to run unlimited? Surely that is two tier - one of the many things that FOTA were against.
Precisely.

Has the FIA/Max explained why Cosworth engines would be allowed to run unrestricted?
It's 9 months to the start of the 2010 season, more than enough time to modify the engines.

Would the Cosworth engines be governed by the same longevity regulations as the limited engines? As i'd imagine that making the required number last a season would cause the teams to limt them themselves.

Wel arel FOTA are pulling a major bluff by metaphorically pulling the safety but not actually firing or is Open Wheel Racing at the highest level has changed forever?

The FOTA teams are to launch there own breakaway series

Not much info has been given at the time of writing but a representive of FOTA said

The teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 World Championship," said a statement.

"These teams therefore have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new Championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners. This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders.

"The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76292

personally I think this is 'INDY Split 2 - The F1 Madness'.
who is going to benefit this time......A1GP? a poorly funded series with some sub-par tracks and Drivers so talented they aren't even known in there own country? Or WTCC a series becoming more and more farcical because they dont want the best driver/team to win.
One thing for certain I cannot it see it being F1 or 'The FOTA Series'

Perhaps though there is a little shining ray of light at the end of a very dark tunnel. Lola's decision not to continue perusing a 2010 entry appeared to suggest that maybe FOTA and FIA were close to an agreement on the rules. but with Lola's reputation, there 2010 omission could down to pretty much anything. But like i said this could be one heck of a bluff to get there own way before signing up 2010 F1. With money tight everywhere at the moment especially in the Car industry it is going to be hard for a new championchip to be formed. It would need a lot of capital from them and some great negotiation skills and also a great lawyer to get some sponsors.... tracks and even some of the teams (Red-Bull and Ferrari). While a big step as been taken to a breakaway series there is still a lot of work to be done a lot of which, along with money, could end up being there stumbling block.

Back
Top Bottom