FIA Flavio Briatore to sue the FIA

Mr. Mosley having played a leading role in launching the enquiry and its investigation in violation of the principle of separation of the power of the bodies.

Could this mean an end to the FIA acting as judge and jury? Hopefully there may be some good to come out of this after all.

All the points I was going to raise have already been covered so I shall veer off slightly at a tangent in respect that this was a personal vendetta by Herr Mosley.

Ron Dennis has come out this week

"[Spygate] was a minor indiscretion by junior members of the organisation that got amplified into a bigger issue," he said. "It wasn't the way it was portrayed. As always, with the passing of time, the truth will come out.

"The bit I don't like is when people damage the reputation of this company for reasons that have their roots in issues that relate to how fiercely I've fought for what I believe to be right for Formula 1 and McLaren. Sometimes it's a price you wish you didn't have to pay, but it is."

Hmmmmmmm I wonder who that may refer to LOL

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80727

I also like this bit:

Ron Dennis said:
When I see my opposite numbers in other teams and how ridiculously colourful and playing to the audience they are, I can't help thinking "How on earth do you ever think you're going to win a grand prix?" [...] You write down the names of all the team principals from the past 10 years and how many have won more than five races, it's a short list. Throw some other queries at that and you'll realise performance requires total dedication. You pay for that dedication because people misunderstand your personality and motives. That's the price you pay, but I sleep easy.

Not mentioning names, but could he be referring to a "colourful" team principal who won less than 5 races; 4 in fact. Lad named Eddie...

You look at the WCC title winning team principals of the last 20 years:

Dennis, Williams, Briatore, Todt, Brawn. Only one of them has been a "colourful" character, no? (And you can put title #1 down to Brawn/Byrne too!) And did Renault produce the fastest cars of 2005 and 2006? No. McLaren binned 2005 due to reliability and Montoya. Ferrari lost 2006 through bad timing!

All this court verdict has done is confirm what a lot of people knew, thought or suspected about Mosley and the FIA.

The FIA responds to the verdict.

The FIA notes the Decision of the Tribunal de Grande Instance of Paris in relation to Mr. Briatore and Mr. Symonds.

The Court has rejected the claims for damages made by Mr. Briatore and Mr. Symonds and their claim for an annulment of the FIA's decision. In particular, the Court did not examine the facts and has not reversed the FIA's finding that both Briatore and Symonds conspired to cause an intentional crash at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.

However, the Court did question the FIA's authority to impose bans upon Mr. Briatore and Mr. Symonds for procedural reasons and because they are not FIA licence holders and, according to the Court, are therefore not subject to any FIA rules. The FIA's ability to exclude those who intentionally put others' lives at risk has never before been put into doubt and the FIA is carefully considering its appeal options on this point.

The Court’s decision is not enforceable until the FIA's appeal options have been exhausted. Until then, the World Motor Sport Council’s decision continues to apply.

In addition, the FIA intends to consider appropriate actions to ensure that no persons who would engage, or who have engaged, in such dangerous activities or acts of intentional cheating will be allowed to participate in Formula One in the future.

The last paragraph would imply that everyone who was involved is going to suffer the same fate.
Of course that can't happen as the FIA have already granted immunity to Piquet and Witness X, which makes the statement nothing more than hot air.

Tribunal de Grande Instance

What I found interesting was the comment on Briatore and Symmonds not being license holders and therefore not subject to FIA regulations. Surely the mere fact that they are employed by a team who enters into events governed by the FIA should make them subject those regulations and any breaches should therefore be punished, even if it is by telling them they are no longer welcome anywhere an FIA event is held.

Perhaps now is the time to make senior team members licensed (not in the driving sense, obviously) to operate in an FIA event?

I seem to recall (usually means that I'm making it up) that when this brouhaha first came to light that the FIA said that Flavio would be banned from all FIA sanctioned events?

That penalty could still work?

"Yes Flav, you are allowed to work within Forumla 1 but we've had a word with all the tracks we run races at and have told them not to allow you on the premises" e.g. you are still allowed to practise your profession, just not on our premises?

That would have a fairly detrimental effect on any involvement within F1 team management I would think.

That was addressed in the court's findings, wasn't it?

"The World Council, by forbidding FIA members and licences to work with Messrs Briatore and Symonds, on the one hand added a negative condition – to not work with them – which is not provided for within the FIA statutes."
Surely telling circuit owners to not allow someone in is covered under that?

In all honesty, how many teams do we think would welcome Flav back? I can't see him being welcome at Renault's motorhome, given the embarrassment caused. Somehow I think he might only be welcome at Bernie's pad, which kind of puts Bernie in the situation of endorsing Flav's behaviour. As much as the punishment has been over turned by the courts, I don't believe the guilty verdict was, or did I miss that bit?

The court accepted that Briatore/Symonds were guilty but the FIA had no right to punish him. Of course, if the FIA are clever, they can stop Briatore from actually being involved in any teams using the secret political maschinations that they're good at; and giving (unappealable) drive-thrus like confetti to any team that Briatore is a member of!

Essentially, if the FIA and teams shun him, he can park his boat at Monaco/Valencia harbour! However, I suppose the FIA still retain the right to give passes to whomever they want to!

teabagyokel said:
However, I suppose the FIA still retain the right to give passes to whomever they want to!

Are the FIA responsible for handing out passes? I thought that was Bernie's domain, as the commercial rights holder (or employee of said rights holder).

fat_jez said:
I thought that was Bernie's domain, as the commercial rights holder (or employee of said rights holder).
I think that's correct.

I've seen more than 1 jorunalist state that they have to be careful what they say for fear of Bernie withdrawing their passes.

According to Autosport, the FIA have 2 weeks to publicly inform the world that the ban has been lifted.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80744

The court added that the FIA will be now forced to notify F1 teams and the public, through adverts in French newspapers, that both Briatore and Symonds's bans have been lifted.

"The FIA is consequently obliged to notify within two weeks it is lifting the provisions to its members and licence holders, particularly the 13 teams entered into the FIA Formula 1 world championship 2010," it added.

This just in from the wicked witch of the north in his ivory tower in the land of Max

"As far as the FIA is concerned I would really want to hear what the superior court said before I would be prepared to acknowledge that the advice we got from outside lawyers was incorrect," Mosley told the Telegraph.

"But the suggestion that we can't penalise anyone who doesn't have a licence is very serious because, for example, we wouldn't be able to ban those people who blacked up their faces and upset Lewis Hamilton [in Barcelona in 2008] from coming to a race.

"But in any case the FIA can easily change its rules so that it takes account of what the court said. They said we weren't allowed to ban non-licence holders. Well obviously you can bring in a rule which does allow you to, if you wish.

"One thing's for sure, it's very far from over."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80758

Several points here:

1) what in the :censored: is he talking about. The circuit owners have the right to refuse entry to any one in the crowd (it's printed on the ticket) so it's got sod all to do with the FIA. How the hell do they think football clubs manage.

2) Has any one actually told him it's god nothing to do with him anymore.

3) Note the "we can just simply change the rules". Remind anyone of somewhere in Europe in the mid 30's when a certain government wanted to come up with some very nasty policies so they just thought "bring in a rule which does allow you to, if you wish"

The arrogance of the man.

Just in case there is any doubt, if Max would care to read paragraph 7 in the terms and conditions of The 2010 British Grand Prix at Silverstone he would find that that is how you ban "non-licence holders" who black themselves up in order to offend. I

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/Global/pdf ... pdated.pdf

I can't believe he tried to pull the wool over peoples eyes with a statement as crass as that. This has really got my back up.

To cap it all it then seems like I'm having to defend Flabio which is just as bad. >:(

Back
Top Bottom