Fizzy V Smooth

I wondered who'd be the first to say that LOL

I was trying to think of a single word to go with Smooth and that was the best I could do late last night while feeling knackered and getting a telling off from the good lady wife for spending more time on the website than talking to her.

By the way, for your tennis example; how about instead:

You're playing football against a team
Manchester United
, and you're holding them. Then all of a sudden, for no reason, you score an own goal and your opponents
Manchester United
pull clear. Or maybe they don't do that and you need to score three own goals just to really ensure that they win!

Or maybe that's not such a good example.

TBY said:

Or maybe they don't do that and you need to score three own goals just to really ensure that they win!

Thanks TBY, I really needed reminding of that especially after getting stuffed by Chelsea mid-week and then Harry "Judas" Redknapp's Pompeyham Hotspur lot roll us over at the weekend.

Anywho, Fizzy or Smooth? I've watched this thread with interest as it started to go like some of the discussion in another place LOL I've never been able to work out what the so called "smooth style" Button is supposed to have relates to. If he brakes earlier he goes slower, if he accelerates more gentle he goes slower, perhaps he doesn't hang the car out around some corners in the way Schumacher or Hamilton do but that depends very much on the conditions and what you are trying to achieve. Button was anything but smooth in Brazil last year.

Hamilton sometimes has to drive on the ragged edge as he finds himself out of position. Button, apart from in Brazil, when out of position just carried on in his usual way and was happy to pick up a few points. Maybe this is the difference Hamilton has the option to push to the limit and beyond Button has a limit and sticks to it. Hamilton also never appears happy with anything other than trying to get the next position on the track (witness Italy last year). I think this is how a racing driver should be rather than someone who just plays the percentages (Alonso?)

In my opinion this makes Hamilton the better driver as he has more options on the track.

Speaking of team dynamics changing, how about this:

this is the first time since Bahrain 2007 when Hamilton's team mate has had more points than him - that's quite a record, going 3 weeks short of 3 years without his team-mate heading him in the championship.
Shamelessly poached from The Artist formerly known as (U767231) on 606.

The smoothness of Button I think refers to his one action on turn in, one on exit, as opposed to others that may have to correct either on turn-in, exit or both. Thus the car is better balanced, with less roll, and so will not hurt the tyres so much. You would also expect this style to have better traction as the car is 'level' when putting the power down. The downside is in low temps when he might not generate enough heat in the tyres.
Compare this with Lewis who might be more active, which looks quicker, but sometimes to the detriment of his handling. A more abrupt, 'staccato' approach can be quicker in individual corners, but would tend to be less consistent, which could make it slower in overall race time.

FB said:
I think this is how a racing driver should be rather than someone who just plays the percentages (Alonso?)

:o Am I reading this correctly!? Are you actually accusing Fernando of being a percentage player? The same Fernando Alonso who steamed past Lewis Hamilton into the gravel at the start of almost every GP in 2007? The same Fernando Alonso who shoved Lewis Hamilton off the circuit at Spa 07 and countless other circuits in the past 3 years? The same Fernando Alonso who steamed past Felipe Massa at the start of the Bahrain GP, trusting that Felipe would avoid an accident?

Come, come, Fernando is anything other than a percentage player... :nah:

FB said:
I've watched this thread with interest as it started to go like some of the discussion in another place LOL
:s Clarify?

FB said:
In my opinion this makes Hamilton the better driver as he has more options on the track.
I don't think it's about who's the best driver ( ;) ), more about team dynamics and it could have developed nicely once C_a_T defined the point about this being the only sport in which your team mate is also your primary competitor.

FB said:
I've never been able to work out what the so called "smooth style" Button is supposed to have relates to. If he brakes earlier he goes slower, if he accelerates more gentle he goes slower...
He doesn't brake earlier as such. I think he brakes more progressively and steers into and out of a corner more progressively. He flows into and out of a turn and maintains speed rather than recovers it. My (possibly mistaken) understanding is that this is a textbook way to drive and if I cite Prost and Damon Hill I'm sure there others here more knowledgeable than me who can reference other drivers.

FB said:
Button was anything but smooth in Brazil last year.
It not that Button can't adapt or "hang it out" in his own way but I don't think he has as many strings to his bow as the likes of Hamilton and (to return to topic) this is where he needs to develop if he's going to beat Hamilton, in my opinion anyway. I don't think the silky smooth style is going to come out on top more often than Hamilton's aggressive style.

Boyle99 said:
The Mclaren's back end snaps out more than most other cars on the grid and Hamilton loves a car that does that.
Is this still the case in 2010 with McLaren saying they'd built a neutral car, narrower front tyres and longer wheelbase? I guess you're right because I haven't heard of complaints from within McLaren about either understeer or oversteer so it would appear that the McLaren design philosophy remains. Again, I would think this is another area in which Button needs to adapt.

I think significantly, though, he's still talking about bringing the car to him and finding a set up that suits his style, so what do I know. Maybe the whole on-track relationship will be a battle of fizzy vs. smooth.

Off-track I wonder if 2007 might have another effect. Hamilton's been positively effusive in his praise of Alonso since Button joined McLaren and admits he didn't handle the relationship as well as he might have. Hamilton will fight his corner but I doubt he'll want to be seen to be engaged in another spat with another team mate.

Are you actually accusing Fernando of being a percentage player?

Yup! Alonso bored me rigid in both his championship years. Once he got a lead in the title race he played the percentages (aided and abetted by the stupid pit stop regime in place at the time), not against the rules but not very exciting. The best "pound for pound driver in F1"? Maybe, but as dull as ditch water to watch racing (IMHO).

FB said:
Are you actually accusing Fernando of being a percentage player?

Yup! Alonso bored me rigid in both his championship years. Once he got a lead in the title race he played the percentages (aided and abetted by the stupid pit stop regime in place at the time), not against the rules but not very exciting. The best "pound for pound driver in F1"? Maybe, but as dull as ditch water to watch racing (IMHO).
That dull as ditchwater, playing percentages bloke in action -

Couldn't work out how to do the embed thing

Muddytalker said:
Couldn't work out how to do the embed thing
Like this - just put the video identifier between the youtube tags:
Code:
[youtube]tWl4Iffi62s[/youtube]

Check this thread out for all forum related BBCode: How Do I...?

Again, to try to return to topic...

I watched the taking of this photograph on the re-run and was trying to see if Hamilton was in or out. The angle was appalling and I couldn't tell, but Vodafone-McLaren-Vodafone-Mercedes-Vodafone has now posted the photo and, as far as I can tell, Hamilton is most definitely out:
2010-Team-Wearing-Victory-T-Shirts.jpg

Back
Top Bottom