Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

Cyril about a bottle of lulu has said he won't be allowed to race at Indy whilst he's with Renault so that's the triple crown out of the window until 2023 for Captain 6/10ths

I seem to have been painted as a bit Alonso hater. I'm not I'm just ridiculously bored of the over the top retoric that comes with him. He does not look a thing like Jesus and I don't think we should treat him like it.

To be fair if Fernando bothered to go and race the entire Indy series rather than just turn up for one race a year I think winning the 500 would be well within his grasp. But, of course, he hasn't. He's chosen to come back and be midfield in F1 because it pays more.

I'm quite happy to accept that title RasputinLives. Alonso is/was a very talented driver but a pretty shit human being when you look at some of the stunts he has pulled over the years. I hope he gets half way through next season and Renault sack him.

If Alonso won the Indy 500 in the same way he won Le Mans then he and his team mate would be the only drivers in the field not in Indy Lite cars. His team mate would have lead 199 laps of the race with Alonso in a distant second and then, on the final lap, would be called into the pits for a 5 minute safety screen wipe, as a precaution, handing Alonso the win.

So turns out Alonso's Indy performance was 'amazing' and he is the best driver ever ever. Men want to be him, woman want to be with him. I'm so shocked an article like this would appear in Autosport. Shocked! Shocked I tell you. I mean it's almost like they are funded by some of his sponsors or something .

i know what you you mean, but there might be something to it because pato o'ward has seemingly found something. in his previous 4 ovals it was DNQ 12th & 12th. since alonso at indy. hes now got 6th 3rd & 2nd. in his next 3 ovals. 3rd & 2nd really shouldve been 2 victories last weekend

Last edited:
Whilst it is a possibility that a man who turned up and pootled round in the car for a week unlocked the key to its potential it seems more likely to me that the drivers and the team that have been working on it all year might have something to do with it.

I'm so shocked an article like this would appear in Autosport. Shocked! Shocked I tell you. I mean it's almost like they are funded by some of his sponsors or something .
I gave up on Autosport when they published that massively sycophantic article about Sky getting the rights to show F1.

I couldn't understand why they did that as it was going to limit the exposure of the sport on TV and reduce the viewing figures.

The article would only make sense if there was a marketing link between Sky and Autosport's parent company..... Oh wait.

As for Alonso, wasn't it very naughty of his Indy team to take Alonso's key findings but wait until after Indy to implement them.

yes as we arent talking about years of experience, that we would be in F1 as oval & road are 2 different things but he still knows car setup & is double world champion. if they are having an issue, he can give a suggestion. it might have worked. but also its a very young line up at Indycar team. until this year the only oval o'ward had driven was indy & he'd failed to qualify. wasnt until july that either of the mclaren SP line up had started an oval race.

Last edited:
as much as id prefer that to the job i have RasputinLives , that i do enjoy. i wouldnt have lasted long being that critical of at times tedious f1 in last 5 years espically this year. i wouldve been sacked a while ago after making many enemies like Todt, Rosberg, Bottas & the Spanish GP. LOL

but im just showing the other side of the coin. its like Scott dixon going to Toro Rosso. you got 2 young drivers at the start of their elite career & alonso has been at the top level for 17 years. its possible but also it could exaggerated due to the owner team boss & interviewee being the same person

As Fernando is doing the "Young Driver Test" at Abu Dhabi shouldn't he be obliged to drive the same car from when he was a "young driver"?

1607692271944.png

Back
Top Bottom