Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

teabagyokel Massa's been useless-agreed. . Ferrari have made errors by being over conservative-agreed. It's Alonso that has seized every opportunity.
Silverstone stands out as a bad quali for Mclaren.8th and 18th
Spain Lewis was at the back.
But Im not saying Ferrari is the fastest Im saying its the most consistent. It does well in races in all conditons

Ferrari was eight tenths from pole position last race, the car has improved throughout the season so what it has really been consistent from day 1 is Alonso's performance.
Id agree with that. Alonso has been very consistent . The ferrari has been good since the European races, not the fastest, so it doesnt always qualify well, but it races well in all conditions.

Had the drivers of cars 4 & 5 been swapped this year to the same results you would be saying that the whole reason that that car was in the lead was due to Lewis Hamilton. Fact is, had Fernando Alonso not been driving that Ferrari, they would not be in the lead of the WDC or in 4th in the WCC.

teabagyokel Massa's been useless-agreed.

That is not what I said.

Im not sure what you mean about cars 4 and 5 being swapped.:sI think there possibly are other drivers that could have done what Alonso has done in that Ferrari .Ok Massa isnt useless, but he certainly isnt one of those drivers. Using him as a yardstick is not a good idea.

Alonso's performance was no more outstanding than his competitors.
Alonso has been aided by hamilton's fuel and pitstop cock-ups, Kimi throwing away the next best time to hamiltons at Spain,alternator failures in the Renaults and fortuitous safety car(Valencia).
Despite these 'gifts' Hughes acknowledges that Alonso has taken full use of what was offered and put in some brilliant performances. But they alone are not the reason he is leading the championship. Hughes puts his lead down to his excellent driving, a car which suits this mixed up season, inconsistency in competitors,and no threat from his team mate.

Right on the money racecub, regarding Alonso's win at Malaysia and especially Valencia.

Vettel's performance in 2011 IMO could fall into the classification of putting everyone in the shade, but Alonso's driving this year hardly falls into that catagory. That's not to take away from Fernando's performance this season, which can realistically described as being extraordinary and outstanding. Alonso is to be congratulated for taking advantage of any bad luck or mistake made by others, which comes his way.

Lewis hasn't been too shabby!
He's been great, at least when McLaren haven't been making mistakes. But in my opinion he hasn't been quite as good as Alonso and he himself has repeatedly said this season that Alonso is currently the best all-around driver.

During races I can think a few mistakes Hamilton has made this season and every other driver, but as Rasputin asked, can you think of any errors that Alonso has made in a race this season? I can't, which is why I think he's been the best driver so far this season.

For me Alonso has been superb this year and has been since he entered Formula one, like Schumi regardless of the controversy that surround them they are simply the best drivers In F1, the rest don't even come close..

Alonso made an error in China trying to overtake round the outside of maldonado, went wide and nearly collected perez returning to the track. (hamilton also had an incident with Maldonado in another race, in this case the fault was with maldonado-but Hamilton was out the race.)

Alonso was also unspectacular at Bahrain with Massa very close to his time.

Id put Alonso and Lewis pretty even stevens this year, to say Lewis doesnt come close is just not the case, his drive in Spain was superb, as were others. But he's not had the luck and Alonso has.

Rather than asking whether anyone but Alonso could have extracted so much from the Ferrari, we could just as easily be asking whether anyone but Hamilton could have gotten so much out of the McLaren considering the mistakes the team have made.

There is very little between them, the only "mistake" I can think of Hamilton making is losing the lead to Button at the start in Australia.

.....and Alonso hasn't been taken out of high positions by Maldonado, has had some wonderful fortune with the safety car, hasn't had numerous pitstop issues and hasn't been underfuelled turning a clear pole in 24th.

I think Alonso has been the class of the field this year, but not by the points margin he currently enjoys.

Back
Top Bottom