Felipe Massa

Brilliant driver on his day but is he championship material?

In 2008 he proved he was but thats only one occassion, plus that season the Ferrari TBH was a bit quicker and won more races that season. In 2009 he nearly suffered a career ending head-injury and since coming to back to the grid he hasn't really shown that promise he did in 2008.

Don't get me wrong he's a driver i very much like, but i do wonder if he'll be a title challenger again for Ferrari season in season out or if he'll stay at Ferrari much longer?

Whats your thoughts on Massa?

I believe that the Ferrari of 2008 was a stronger machine than the McLaren, and that Lewis Hamilton drove it incredibly well to win the title. But it is worth remembering just how close Massa was to that title:
  • The three fully wet races! Massa lost from pole in the wet at Monaco, wiped out at Silverstone and never got the chance to show his form at Monza. Hamilton took 2 races there that he probably ought not have.
  • Plus, had Hamilton broke his car on the barrier at Piscine rather than damaged it just enough to push his next fuel stop into the switch between inters and dries - world title to Massa.
  • Nelsinho Piquet cheating cost him a race win.
  • The Hungaroring; he dominated then exploded three laps from the end.
  • An engine failure in Melbourne from a points position.
  • The safety car in Hockenheim; no, Massa didn't cover himself in glory there but without it Hamilton beats him 1-2 not 1-3.
There was bad luck flowing the other way, especially with bizarre stewarding, but there's so much that could have got him that crown. Singapore is particularly galling.

The three fully wet races! Massa lost from pole in the wet at Monaco, wiped out at Silverstone and never got the chance to show his form at Monza. Hamilton took 2 races there that he probably ought not have.

Those two wins were simply down to skill. Monza too. Massa started 6th, finished 6th. Hamilton started 15th, finished 7th.

Plus, had Hamilton broke his car on the barrier at Piscine rather than damaged it just enough to push his next fuel stop into the switch between inters and dries - world title to Massa.

Irrelevant. And luck swings in both ways throughout a season.

Nelsinho Piquet cheating cost him a race win.

No it didn't. causation ≠ correlation.

The Hungaroring; he dominated then exploded three laps from the end.
An engine failure in Melbourne from a points position.

Yes, very unfortunate.

The safety car in Hockenheim; no, Massa didn't cover himself in glory there but without it Hamilton beats him 1-2 not 1-3.

If, if, if. Irrelevant.

i think we are trying to prove is not that Massa is as good as Hamilton (he's not). What we are trying to prove is that he deserves (or at least deserved) to be in F1. the fact that he was close to winning the title makes him worthy to be in F1. Yes, Michael Schumacher beat him thoroughly, but who didn't? He beat Raikkonen over the 3 years that they were together. fair and square and Kimi was in the midsts of becoming a World Champion. And yes, Alonso beat up Massa during their time together, but Massa did well compared to what Kimi accomplished vs the Spaniard. Bo77as also outscored Massa but when they both finished races, it was evenly split who would finish ahead (23 vs 23 by my count). And now with Stroll, Massa is ahead in all marks, which is expected given than the Canadian is a Rookie ...

Massa now saying he will happy mentor Stroll . Felipe is better than that and needs to admit that his time in F1 is over.

I don't think Williams really help themselves they could have picked other drivers other than Massa when the opportunity presented itself. If anything they too could say Felipe we now need to look to the future thanks and go spend more time on the beach with your family

Williams are clearly not the force they were and just simply can't have a say on which drivers to have like Frank Williams use to

Its sad to see that Massa's last win was in 2008 and he nearly won in 2010 until he got the call and simply ceded. He's never really recovered from that

Last edited:
It's ridicolous, he's whining about the shoot-out and that he wants a quick decision, but he isn't delivering on track anymore. He could have left F1 with his head held high, but he has chosen to be kicked out like a dog.

I don't consider his to have been a great career, it was long, but nothing more. A driver who lacked consistency, who was outstandingly poor in the wet, who constantly got involved in on track squabbles, but nonetheless a driver who could have ended his career with dignity.

Like Barrichello he'll just be a name in the record books.

Williams are not helping the situation by not telling Massa he will not be renewed. I don't see how continuity will help Williams in their current situation seeing both Renault and Mclaren will be stronger next season so you're already looking at 8th for Williams in the constructors

Massa should go unless he suddenly becomes Nigel Mansell becomes a top racer approaching his 40's I just don't see that happening with Williams

Listening to some of the conversations on Sky during the weekend I suspect Felipe is expecting too much money to be able to stay on at Williams. "I am a professional racing driver" doesn't sound much like he is prepared to compromise.

Does anyone remember Massas criticism of some young drivers, specifically Verstappen, being to inexperienced for F1 and this causing accidents?

It’s funny, because he has never finished a season without some shunts and crashes with other drivers.

Not heard anything yet but I hope Felipe is running his usual charity jarring event again this year. This will be the 13th in a row of he is. Usually gets some big names too. Not sure why Sky Don't show it on the F1 channel to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom