F1 TV coverage

this is very delayed because of work & sky sports changing the schedule yesterday i checked friday, qatar highlights 6.45pm switched on at work it moved to 6pm & Q1 had already happened :facepalm:

i quite enjoyed the losail circuit it really reminds me of montreal fast & flowing but technical. also the 2nd set of kerbs will punish you if you take too many liberties. like brazil i think that people will only appriecate what we are watching with lewis hamilton until he retires. with some of his great qualifying laps & drives. outstanding from gasly 4th on the track was very impressive of course he did because i backed him in brazil rubbish & dont back him in qatar on the front row :rolleyes:

im not surprised at all the penalties it looked a slam dunk & they are very hard on these, at least on this unlike wheel to wheel racing they are consistent, but surprised it went on this long because i thought there was a new rule in mexico where if double yellow flags are shown while your in that sector or lap are deleted like track limits but i can see horner annoyance if all the FIA electrical bits like map, wheel & GPS bit said green flag & a marshal used his initiative right or wrongly put double yellow flags out. but common sense says if you see a stationary car on the pit straight which he will have seen, you slow down because that happens in the race. its a VSC or SC

It's a win win for Sky.

Nice tempter for next season's customers, a wedge of cash from C4 to show the race and broader sponsorship appeal.
But depending on the viewing figurers and the C4 income from advertising, someone may look at PFV in F1 and decide it may not be even equal to sliced bread.

I'll watch it - but with the 5Live commentary.

Won’t that be out of sync with the pictures?

If you record the TV and play it back with a slight delay while it is still recording, you can get them in sync. Something like about 30 seconds if I recall correctly from last time.
i did this through Alexa for FP1 in saudi. worked great

if you get both on early enough. pause the tv when theyve just started the formation lap. then play when the radio say theyve set off you should just about be there

Last edited:
i think its fantastic news that title decider will be free to air in both the Rivals home country. i can only talk about UK, as i dont know the culture of other countries but this is the biggest race for either country in over a decade. in a Dutch case in general sport. but Sporting events of this importance cannot be hidden way. because its critical to culture of this country & sport has a way of bringing the country together like very little else. thinking of the Olympics, Cricket World cup final & Emma Raducanu US Open Final

if it was me, said for years just the races (not practice or qualifying) should be live free to air. because in this media ages as the champions league is proving now & thats the worlds biggest club competition & national game. it really is that saying "if a tree falls in the woods & nobody is there. did it make a sound"

But depending on the viewing figurers and the C4 income from advertising, someone may look at PFV in F1 and decide it may not be even equal to sliced bread.
No chance.

The global income Liberty get for PPV will vastly outstrip the income they got from the Free to air market.

If channel 4 took Paul Di Resta for the weekend it would be a great.
paul di resta had passed me by, id heard all these allegations & i was oblivious. but it wasnt until after the saudi race that i noticed. it was like he had been brainwashed by christian horner. i was waiting for him to blame Prost in 1990 saying that senna had every right to the inside line Prost shouldve yeiled as he was on the outside

We had to endure commercial breaks for the first time. I remember when they missed the overtake,Damon Hill did on Michael Schumacher in Hungary in 97. Also when they cut to a commercial break with the last 3 laps to go of the race in Imola in 2005. I absolutely don’t miss itv’s coverage of F1.

i agree on that & commercial breaks were horrible. i think Imola was a thing that they were trying as hard as they could to delay that final break as they didnt want to interrupt their battle. but they hoping Schumacher would overtake. it never happened & we ended up with the most unpopular F1 tv moments

but before ITV. BBC was a contract were
- Qualifying wasnt shown
- little to no pre race build up
- little to no post race build up.
hadnt it only been few years since BBC shown every race live. but ITV change the game & it laid the foundations for what we had just 12 years later with every session broadcasted & race day could be on for 5 hours

pre race build up
People we mostly don't care about, talking bollocks for 3 hours.

My reaction "When will the race start?"
post race build up
People we mostly don't care about talking bollocks for 3 hours and then that smarmy git Kravitz talking bollocks and pretending he's "oh so popular with every team" for another hour.

My reaction "the race is over, drivers interviewed, switch off"

The move from the BBC to ITV was the beginning of the exploitation of the UK TV rights that ultimately resulted in the loss of free to air F1 in the UK.

A day to celebrate? In my humble opinion, absolutely no chance.

Also back in the days of ceefax subtitles. The show has moved with the technology. Little to do with the channel, other than the BBC not willing to enter into a huge contract just to land TV rights, when they are supposedly not a commercial entity

cider_and_toast leave ted alone LOL like the F1 grid it would be boring if every one was serious & surely there room for a guy who is very knowledgeable about technical parts of F1 but also interviews vettel with Cheese, starts a show on Japanese Rollercoaster & sainz having a face. oh no its the eccentric Englishman

but i would agree that 1997 was F1, italia 90 when people 1st realised how big sport can be for advertising revenue & tv figures. but until Bernie Ecclestone lost his marbles & destroyed what he worked & Battled half his life to create. F1 was in great shape. when you compare 2010 to 1995. both on BBC, but For F1 fans nothing happened between November & March. now its just January

but ill admit there are probally half of post races i dont watch because nothing happened so nothing to talk about but its always good to have when something kicks off. but i enjoy the pre race. as i like to hear the opinions of Brundle, Hill & Button of the main topics of the week. its where you find out about the drivers off track & you can begin to warm to them.

Just my opinion of course but I would rather swan dive from a thousand feet in to a bucket of flaming liquid shit with a lit firework clenched between my butt cheeks than watch Ted Kravitz. .

F1 on ITV was a horror show, from beginning to end. Starting with Jim "what time does the race kick-off?" Rosenthal, through to Steve "Wobbly hulk hands" Ryder at the end. From Murray "WTF, you had the chance to get a decent commentator" Walker, through to James "WTF, you had the chance to get a decent commentator" Allen.

Through moments such as "wow, the last couple of laps are going to be REALLY exciting as these guys are going at it hammer and tong. WTF, a 4-minute ad break and now the race is over", or "now to Louise in the pits who is going to get the opinion of some blokes' dad who knows **** all about motor racing or the team's strategy".

F1 on ITV demonstrated how not to cover sporting events, and I couldn't celebrate enough when they decided they weren't going to renew their contract. They didn't understand the sport, they didn't understand the fans, they made no effort throughout the many dreadful years to try and improve what they did. However, they did mange to destroy coverage on other platforms such as Eurosport and F1 Digital, where fans could get moderately intelligent and challenging broadcasting, leaving us with F1 racing for simpletons on ITV.

I hated every, awful moment for the 11 years they were inflicted on us.

FB i cant really talk ITV because i had nothing to compare it too, ITV was all i knew til i was 19 & but in hindsight i completely understand why you feel like that. James Allen was annoying, this doesnt surprise me "They didn't understand the sport, they didn't understand the fans, they made no effort throughout the many dreadful years to try and improve what they did" because as we know they didnt get the F1 contract because they were passionate about F1. it was because the big boss at ITV was sick of getting it in the neck that every weekend they kept beaten by F1

But Murray Walker, you cant talk about him like that, he was the best commentator F1 ever had. his enthuasum was infectious & so many of the iconic moments have his voice

I disliked Murray Walker as a commentator on the BBC. I disliked Murray Walker even more as acCommentator on ITV. I disliked his style, his faux enthusiasim, I disliked that he never shut up and just let you watch, I disliked his lack of attention to detail, I disliked his need to count. In fact, I'm struggling to find something I enjoyed about his commentating. And now all those who follow feel the need to ape his overly verbose style, making them just as annoying as he was.

The fact that so many moments are accompanied by his commentary does not make him a good commentator. It just shows how little imagination the TV producers had when it came to finding someone to do the commentary. And if you had the opportunity to watch Eurosport's F1 coverage in the 1990's you would have heard how a commentator and summariser could enhance the event, not spoil it.

Eurosport's F1 coverage in the 1990's you would have heard how a commentator and summariser could enhance the event, not spoil it.
We switched to watching Eurosport's coverage in 1994. The combination of Jona...sorry Doctor Jonathan Palmer and Murray Walker wàs enough for anyone.

John Watson was a far superior summariser in every respect.

At least James Hunt knew how to keep Murray Walker in check, as this famous clip shows:

Back
Top Bottom