F1 to become pay-per view?

FB said:
Sky wouldn't pull coverage of the qualifying in Brazil to put Strictly Come Dancing on

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't coverage simply move to BBC2 that evening?

I absolutely will not watch F1 on PPV. I will find another way to watch it for free if it ever does. Just like other PPV services there are always 'alternative' ways to watch free of charge.

Like many on here, I try to watch BTCC, moto GP and other motor sport series on TV whenever I can.

But since I dictate family life around F1 grand prix & quali start times, I don't think adding other formulas to an already hectic and short weekend will be very popular with my better half.

For this reason F1 takes priority and I watch other motorsport if the chance arises.

However if F1 went to PPV, then I would follow it through other media and watch BTCC instead.

When Nigel Mansell went to Indy Car, I followed the whole season on CEEFAX, without irritating commentators I quite enjoyed it.

For anybody who is thinking of getting sky fitted :-

• 1 - You still can't find anything to watch.
    2 - There's the same old junk on, just more of it.
    3 - You tend to watch channels that are on Freeview anyway.
    4 - Save the money and treat yourself : go and see the Bristish GP instead. (If we have one)

cider_and_toast said:
And my final point, in all sports that have gone pay per view has the cost of seeing those sports and running those sports gone up or down? Money breeds money unfortunatly. I remember when Andy Cole went from Newcastle to Man Utd for a record 7 Million pounds. That was smashed by Alan Shearer going from Blackburn to Newcastle for 15 Million pounds. Today several players have changed hands for the 30 million pound mark and Ronaldo left Man Utd for over 40 million pounds. All this money has to come from us in one way or another.

Ronaldo - £80,000,000; paid by Real Madrid. They benefited sparingly at best from Sky Sports Premier League coverage, what they (and Europe's top clubs) benefited from was the almost simultaneous realignment of the European Cup with the UEFA Champions League (hum the tune...). This was a format that had more to do with every Italian feminist's best friend Silvio Berlusconi (head of an Italian TV channel, and President of AC Milan) than it did with Murdoch, and of course the Champions League was initially broadcast exclusively on ITV, until Brussels got involved.

It was UEFA's gravy-train agenda, including control of sponsorship, broadcast rights and image rights, that transformed top European football. Essentially, what I'm saying is that it happened everywhere in Europe simultaneously, with or without Sky. F1 doesn't need a new gravy-train agenda (the one its got works fine), and it certainly doesn't need Sky.

In other news, Jean-Alain Boumsong £6m Rangers to Newcastle. More expensive than Ronaldo, in the end.

for me, being able to watch F1 via several countries, this brings a smile to my face.

actually, the tendency right now is for more and more sports to leave payed channels. actually, you see more and more sports leaving any form of commercial networks altogether.

pay per view simply attracts too little people. as far as i know, F1 is available like this in only very few places. this system does seem to work for football. english, italian and spanish matches are in most countries i can get, transmitted via pay channels. but this is more like a sales gimmick to get the channel. and i am not sure at all it attrachts viewers. even a system of euro 7.50 per month for 2 football channels seems not too work. and remember, this means 10 matches or so every weekend and not just one race every 1 or 2 weeks for a few months. F1 was broadcast on a pay channel in the netherlands with as promise: no ads. but that is gone now too. you need value for money and how do you get that with F1? how many re runs and talkshows can you have before the public gets bored. not a lot methinks. what will you fill the time with? do i want to watch base ball and basket ball also, just to see a few GP's as well? no way methinks.

a dedicated motorsport channel then. well, i got that too. never watch it cos how after a while it gets boring to see even kart races with young boys or re runs of the brazilian something from 1976 with no driver anyone ever heard of outside brazil. and honetsly, nascar live is great. but i tend to sleep from time to time too and the timing of those races can be a bit naff. so thats no good either.

commercial tv is slowly getting less. in the uk and belgium F1 is broadcasted by the state with no ads. ads and F1 are a bad combination cos you never know when something will happen. all kinds of solutions have been tried, double screens etc but nothing really seems to work. this was highlighted by one race in particular this season where the qualifying lasted a wee bit longer. not only did this mess up the programming but it also messed up the advertising schedule. what do you do? send out the ads for a program thats not there or show ads for a program thats not supposed to be there. so as long as F1 does not have fixed periods of no overtaking or breaking down for instance the commercial stations will have problems with F1. remember, amercian foorball for instance, has a fixed stoppage every few secs for the players to reset, go back into position and basically start again, those good guys even count off to when they will start the game again! and for ads to be transmitted without missing any of the action.

Back
Top Bottom