F1 to BBC4?

sportsman

Sidecar racers have the biggest cojones
Contributor
I was not sure where to put this so if the mods decide to move it no problem.
I don't know how reliable the Evening Standard is but here it is for what its worth.Incidently I have never seen channel 4 so I have no idea about it.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...23965575-rights-race-channel-4-in-f1-talks.do
Channel 4 has opened preliminary talks with motor-racing bosses about buying the broadcast rights to Formula 1 when the BBC's deal expires.
The Evening Standard understands C4 bosses see F1 as a target because the upscale, young male demographic is attractive to advertisers.
Channel 4 declined to comment, but a source said: "There's a perception that Channel 4 isn't interested in sports but they've got the Paralympics next year and the IAAF athletics."

They did a good job with the cricket but again the key word there is 'adverts' unless they were clever enough not to put adverts on in the middle of the race

That was on sky though, when Channel 4 had it, they rarely had adverts on, just the horse racing >:(

I'm not sure i'd like it to go over to channel 4. I'd much rather it stayed on the bbc and we could watch it without any adverts.

TBH - Does the bbc really need two childrens channels and Both BBC3 and BBC 4? Surely they'd save loadsa money up by merging Cbbc and Cbebbies together and merging both BBC 3 and 4 together. That saves less airspace to fill up. Plus wouldn't really miss the red button service.

Gonna boycott the BBC if we lose F1 from it.

Fair enough, I don't think I remember cricket on C4, I was in Australia when I became interested.

Anyway, to bring this back to F1, didn't Bernie say that BBC was 'doing a brilliant job'? If it was kept on free-to-air TV, it would remain on BBC1, I'm fairly certain.

Adverts worked during the cricket as they had a quick 30 second ad every 2 overs when there was nothing really happening. American sport works pretty much the same way instead they run the games between the adverts.

If I had a choice I would prefer it to go to sky as long as they treated it the same way as the football and movies subscription services and have no adverts during the race itself and only during the build up.

Staying with BBC is the ideal solution as they have done an excellent job in the last 2 seasons.
Is it against their ethical broadcast policies to have an additional subscription service? And if the BBC had an additional channel that we would pay for to ensure we get the sport we want would we pay for it?

Please, please, please, please, please no adverts during the race...

TBH - Does the bbc really need two childrens channels and Both BBC3 and BBC 4? Surely they'd save loadsa money up by merging Cbbc and Cbebbies together and merging both BBC 3 and 4 together. That saves less airspace to fill up. Plus wouldn't really miss the red button service.

Together BBC3, BBC4, CBBC and CBeebies only take up two channels I believe - at 7pm (I think) CBBC/Cbeebies turns off and BBC3/4 turn on using the same broadcasting gubbins (my understanding breaks down here....). I guess what you're saying could still be done though and then behind the scenes it would just be one channel instead of two, although the programmes each of the four show are quite different so I'm not sure it would really work.

Also the Red Button service is fantastic to have during major sporting events like World cups, Olympics, Wimbledon etc. and coverage of F1 practice sessions!

If one of these had to be sacrificed to keep F1 on the BBC though I'd drop it like a stone. If it does leave the BBC I don't really care where it goes as long as it gets good coverage but moving it to Sky would lose a lot of UK viewers. Got to say I think the BBC would be stupid to drop it though.

If its between 4 and Sky, it has to be 4.

They did a great job of cricket, it has to be said. And I say move the Countdown clock to the last 30 seconds of any session.

Which team is this?

SRSOOOORT

I find ITV 4 good for other Motorsports such as IOM TT and BTCC.

BBC 4 and Channel 4 are totally different animals. Channel 4 News with John Snow is great at 7.00 pm.... :)

The problem is the adverts. If they still had a panel at the side of the screen during the adverts showing the race without sound (I've heard that's what happens in some other countries) it would be bearable, at least you could see what was going on, unlike on ITV.

If we are going to have to have adverts then TV really ought to think about a different way of deliveing them Interuption of live TV broadcast is ridiculous. Why not follow lead from the web and display advertising? Adverts could appear sporadically at the bottom or corner of the screen. Still annoying, I know, but not so much as a full interuption. From the advertisers point of view, they can be assured that people are seeing thier adverts and not running off to the kitchen to make a cup of tea.

Back
Top Bottom