Experience V exuberance

Although I believe experience is a good thing, sometimes luck is on the side of exuberance - occasionally neither matter and it's all in the lap of the Gods (or team calls in this case).

Both are good...I was just trying to act smart :snigger:

Ironically, I am always on the "exuberance" side due to me being quite young :thinking:

Many years ago I was stationed in the RAF in Norfolk. From time to time I used to go to Leeds to see my parents, driving back on Sunday evening.

There was a 6 mile section of the A1 which was still single carriageway leading to Newark, where I branched off on the A17 . The traffic was fairly much nose to tail with few advantages to overtake. However, I still used to overtake even in some places where it was not 100% safe.

Then one evening when I had worked very hard, managing to overtake 6 cars, I looked in my rear view mirror. Not a single car followed me. From then on I just sat in the traffic and concentrated my energies on driving quickly on the empty roads.

That was when I changed from exuberance to experience.

There was a 6 mile section of the A1 which was still single carriageway leading to Newark, where I branched off on the A17 . The traffic was fairly much nose to tail with few advantages to overtake. However, I still used to overtake even in some places where it was not 100% safe.

You'll be pleased to know Bill that they are in the process of widening that said section of road into a duel carriage way as we speak(my parents live near it) - in fact I think part of it is already open. Braver man than me overtaking on that bit of road though.

As for the original question - I think if you look back at F1 through the ages experience has def come out tops over exuberance its only in recent times this seems to have changed. The record for youngest world champion was broken 3 times in 5 years and Jamie Alguersauri not only has the honour of being the youngest F1 driver ever but as he's still only 21 and from media talk heading for the exit door at Toro Rosso he could be the youngest ex F1 driver! Has F1 changed or has the sport given into the common sports trade of youth and excitment - even worse has the pressure of the media meant that if a driver does not succeed straight away he doesn't get the chance to develop?

I think Playstation, Simon Cowell and Rupert Murdoch have a lot to answer for.

You'll be pleased to know Bill that they are in the process of widening that said section of road into a duel carriage way as we speak(my parents live near it) - in fact I think part of it is already open. Braver man than me overtaking on that bit of road though.

As for the original question - I think if you look back at F1 through the ages experience has def come out tops over exuberance its only in recent times this seems to have changed. The record for youngest world champion was broken 3 times in 5 years and Jamie Alguersauri not only has the honour of being the youngest F1 driver ever but as he's still only 21 and from media talk heading for the exit door at Toro Rosso he could be the youngest ex F1 driver! Has F1 changed or has the sport given into the common sports trade of youth and excitment - even worse has the pressure of the media meant that if a driver does not succeed straight away he doesn't get the chance to develop?

I think Playstation, Simon Cowell and Rupert Murdoch have a lot to answer for.

Answer to that...

Testing ban, and the period where we got so many young guns that impressed straightaway from 2006-2007 Rosberg, Kubica, Hamilton and Vettel.

Experience is learing from ones mistakes, exuberance is making the mistakes in which to learn from.

To the adult person perhaps - more like exuberance is the premise and experience the possible outcome. However, some believe that experience is age-related and nothing to do with repeated misjudgement.

To the adult person perhaps - more like exuberance is the premise and experience the possible outcome. However, some believe that experience is age-related and nothing to do with repeated misjudgement.

I also think that exuberance is dependant upon the "lack" of fear of making mistakes, when one knows how much a decision costs they are less inclined to be as exuberant in their choices.

Back
Top Bottom