Driver Salaries 2020

Ruslan

Podium Finisher
Have no idea how accurate this is, but GP Today had an article on driver salaries: Formula 1 driver salaries 2020

And the results are:

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes - €48m
Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari - €42m
Daniel Ricciardo, Renault - €18m
Max Verstappen, Red Bull - €16m
Charles Leclerc, Ferrari - €9m
Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes - €7.5m
Kimi Raikkonen, Alfa Romeo - €4m
Carlos Sainz, McLaren - €3.5m
Sergio Perez, Racing Point - €3m
Esteban Ocon, Renaullt - €1.5m
Alexander Albon, Red Bull - €1.2m
Lance Stroll, Racing Point - €1m
Romain Grosjean, Haas - €1m
Kevin Magnussen, Haas - €1m
Pierre Gasly, Alpha Tauri - €400k
Daniil Kvyat, Alpha Tauri - €275k
Lando Norris, McLaren - €225k
Antonio Giovinazzi, Alfa Romeo - €200k
George Russell, Williams - €200k
Nicholas Latifi, Williams - Undisclosed

A few comments:
1. Vettel is overpaid.
2. Verstappen is underpaid.
3. Ricciardo is paid more at Renault then he would be on a big-three team. This is the financial benefit gained by being a top driver but not on a top team.
4. Leclerc is underpaid.
5. Valtteri Bottas is a overpaid.
6. Sainz has done well.
7. Perez should be paid more.
8, Ocon is underpaid.
9. I like the last entry...."undisclosed.". I gather he is paying.

I think that there is too much of a gap between the top and bottom drivers because the difference is worth slightly under 50 million euros. The bottom drivers just don't have brand exposure/sponsors compared to Hamilton and Vettel.

I think that there is too much of a gap between the top and bottom drivers because the difference is worth slightly under 50 million euros. The bottom drivers just don't have brand exposure/sponsors compared to Hamilton and Vettel.
Welcome to the forum jacko44mous . I am not sure what the actual market value of these drivers are. Does Hamilton driving for Mercedes sell more $40 million of more cars each year than Bottas? I have no way of evaluating that, especially as I live in American and most people don't know who any of these guys are !!!

interesting list

1 Hamilton and Vettel have a lot of WDCs and IMHO they are probably worth the investment for the awareness that they create, it's a bit like certain football players, even if they don't make a difference on track (and I would be careful in saying that Hamilton and Vettel don't make a difference on track) they generate so much revenues for their team that financially it's a winning situation

2 I'm surprised that Verstappen couldn't negotiate a better deal, maybe his negotiating power was reduced due to the fact that neither Mercedes nor Ferrari really wanted him? There must be a reason because he seems like the bargain of the year

3 Leclerc is IMHO overpaid if his salary is still what had been agreed when he joined Ferrari and underpaid if they agreed his salary at the end of last season

4 Stroll gets a lot of pocket money from his dad

5 Bottas, Raikkonen, the Haas duo, etc. can consider themselves lucky because they wouldn't have any other option

6 Alpha Tauri looks very mean with their drivers

7 Norris deserves more, so does Russell

You don’t say Ruslan , but is that per day, per week , per month or their yearly salary?
😄
Most of them are way to much, no one needs, or should get paid millions for driving a car.

No one should get paid millions for kicking a simulated leather ball about a bit of grass but they do, it's just a case of if you're wanted that badly by a company you tend to get it, basketball in the USA is another example as well a many so called A listers in the film industry, it's all to do with percentages of the gross take. Not all make millions a few have to marry well :whistle:

Last edited:
I disagree on it, that bar the top 2 because £48m & £42m, but then Mercedes don't want to lose potentially the greatest driver on the grid, so will pay because others will.

I don't have any issues on the salaries. I think that they are about right, we forget how much these drivers do. people like Leclerc Russell Sainz where at the post season test on 4th December & then there back in pre season testing in 19th February. it not like most sports that get a long off season, 10 months of flights jetting all around the world. 2 weeks later its Christmas, & then your straight back into pre season training, then simulator work, then fly off to Barcelona & its starts all over again.

....we forget how much these drivers do. people like Leclerc Russell Sainz where at the post season test on 4th December & then there back in pre season testing in 19th February. it not like most sports that get a long off season, 10 months of flights jetting all around the world. 2 weeks later its Christmas, & then your straight back into pre season training, then simulator work, then fly off to Barcelona & its starts all over again.

When I was in my 20’s I would have loved a job like that....regardless of the pay.

Having spent 6 weeks fighting fires in my homeland, I found one thing particularly striking: most of people fighting the fires were UNPAID!!

When people risking life and limb working 16 hour days protecting other people's homes, lives and property while breathing smoke and thereby risking long-term health issue aren't being paid, while people are being paid millions for playing children's games and driving cars, IMO society has a very warped sense of values.

When I was in my 20’s I would have loved a job like that....regardless of the pay.

im sure its sounds fun. but i dont im sure it can get very tiring with never ending travel & got no chance of keeping in any kind of serious relationship because you probably spend 4 weeks of the year at home. look at hamilton & button

without being horrible siffert_fan yes they do deserve alot of money. but isnt the old unrealistic stupid argument about how NHS deserve footballers wages. which is impossible because when 50,000 people pay to prime ministers questions & it has a tv deal worth billions. NHS go around with sponsorship on the scrubs then you have a point.

Last edited:
Since you obviously like straw man arguments, let me ask you this: When you contract coronavirus, are you going to go burden the NHS with their nurses making a barely livable wage, or are you going to call upon your favourite footballer who makes 20 million a year and probably lives in Monte Carlo and so isn't even supporting the NHS (or the police, or fire departments, or military all of whom make barely livable wages)?

i could say the same if Sheffield United have a 90th min penalty to make the fa cup final since 1936. do i want Martin from NHS or Billy Sharp. everyone has different stengths & yes the NHS are more worthy far more important. i have no arguments about that. but NHS get £126 billion to go around 66m people & 1.5m employees. sheff utd are about to get 127m in prize money to go around (mostly) 50 players & coaches the reason why

in ideal world id love all NHS nurses/doctors to be earning 200k a year or even "footballers wages" at 50k a week. but i dont know bar government finding a way to increase the NHS annual budget from £127 billion to £3.7 trillion to match the budget per person as football club. i dont where their going to get the money but obviously have an idea.

Last edited:
You don’t say Ruslan , but is that per day, per week , per month or their yearly salary?
😄
Most of them are way to much, no one needs, or should get paid millions for driving a car.
Well, in the end, it is all about the market. People are not paid what they are worth, they are paid what they can demand. Obviously, Hamilton and Vettel are at the top of the pay scale because the top two teams needed a team leader, and those were the best to options. What is interesting is the next two on the list, DR at $18 and Max at $16. Now a lot of people consider Max a driver at the level of Hamilton or Vettel but his salary is not. As Publius Cornelius Scipio pointed out in his post, it does not seem like Mercedes and Ferrari really wanted him. So his salary is much lower. If there were four competitive teams in F1, then he would probably be able to negotiate for better pay. Right now, he has no leverage unless he wants to do what DR did....and of course DR is making more than Max. That is how much money it took to lure a top notch driver to a non-competitive team. I am sure Red Bull was not offering DR as much.

Seb should be on 15 as should Leclerc. If you said to Seb we are cutting your salary to 15 he wouldn't be able to go anywhere else. Accept it or leave F1.

Back
Top Bottom