Driver killed on track

Josh,

Did the "other driver" who made the statement have the courage units to do so on record, where he can be held accountable if it proves untrue? I'm willing to bet that the answer to that question is "NO".

Do you remember that F1 race at Indy in 2005 the spectators were throwing cans and beer bottles onto the track at the end of the oval straight in protest and nobody did a thing about it...

-------------------------------------

True but I'm not sure behaviour like that is exculively seen in the US though.
The throwing of bottles onto the track has been something of a long-standing problem at Le Mans in the race's wee hours, although in this case booze is almost certainly the main factor.

I wonder what sort of punishment would James get today for this:

Josh,

Did the "other driver" who made the statement have the courage units to do so on record, where he can be held accountable if it proves untrue? I'm willing to bet that the answer to that question is "NO".

Sorry, but you lost that bet, because the answer is "YES".

By the way, the article includes a video where the hit is shown, so if you don't want to watch a man get hit by a car don't watch it.

Stewart is not one of my favourite drivers but I find it hard to believe he deliberately ran Ward down. It looked like Ward ran lower on the circuit twice, perhaps Stewart was not expecting him to be lower and/or he was unsighted, or perhaps he even marginally lost control enough to catch Ward with the rear tyre. I'm hoping that the larger organizations such as NASCAR take note of this incident and make it very clear that anything like this, i.e. running onto the track, will be heavily punished with fines and race bans.

So Josh can I infer from your posts that you actually believe that Tony Stewart intended to kill Kevin Ward Jr simply because he shook his fist at him?

I'm sorry fella but if that is what you think then I honestly hope you are way off the mark, but if it is true then my faith in humanity will hit a new low...

Last edited:
No, you can't infer that because I don't believe he intended to kill him. My only intention by posting was to report on what was said by people who were there and a guy who knows a bit more than the average person. Sorry if that wasn't clear, but English isn't my first language :thumbsup:

Of course the middle ground is always possible, Stewart could have meant to "give Ward a scare" but misjudged it, resulting in actually hitting Ward. It'll be interesting to hear all the perspectives, particularly from whoever was following Stewart.

Do those cars carry on-board cameras? If they do possibly able to answer some questions.
No, why would they? This is a grassroots dirt race, not even televised.

It's the first time I've seen that Helmet chucking vid. Blimey, I'd have banned the bloke for years if I was able to make those decisions. What a numpty.
You'd have half of NASCAR banned then.

I've watched the video twice, and it seems obvious to me that Stewart is trying to avoid the man.

It appears to be a racing accident, nothing more. The fault is totally that of the victim.

No, why would they? This is a grassroots dirt race, not even televised.

People use on board cameras even racing go-Karts........Drivers who race in different types of grassroots racing worldwide use on board cameras, for their own personal reasons.

Agree 100%. Ward should have never stormed onto the track. Like I said on another forum that I frequent, drivers have been posturing for years and finally someone got killed because of it.

Some gallows humour via Pam Ayres:
It is known In truth and verse
That in a car and hedgehog fight
The hedgehog comes off worse.
:embarrassed:

Words don't express how stupid and tragic this is. Thoughts go out to Ward's family.

I know little of NASCAR. A climate where a young man, having spun onto the inside, then feels empowered to walk onto the track and point and gesture to an actual running competitor, is insane. Even if you're of the view that motorsport carries an inherent danger, this is not something which preventing would take any chutzpah out of the event.

The Webber/Alonso penalty from Singapore shows the FIA are serious about this, if possibly a little too officious, and I don't see any obstacle for NASCAR to follow suit.

It's bloody difficult to get even a redneck to cheer on a dead driver.

I reckon Ward's family are thinking the same as all of us and that is, why the **** did he do that and are experiencing anger with him as well as grief, I've known five people who have committed suicide in my life time and several others who have died due to the own recklessness and that is how I felt each time but it was mostly anger at the person...

NASCAR.

This was not a NASCAR sanctioned race tby. Stewart is pretty much the only guy in the top Stock Car series that ever races these Sprint cars with any regularity. NASCAR as a governing body holds no jurisdiction here at all.

Drivers running around on track is hardly an epidemic here in the States and this was an unfortunate isolated incident. This kid did a stupid thing but calling him an idiot is rather unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom