Driver killed on track

Just because it is convenient doesn't mean it isn't true and even without the mind altering drug being involved I still would not put any blame on Stewart.

Of course one could argue that it is very inconvenient for the governing body that drivers are racing whilst they are off their faces on weed...

Frankly Mephistopheles - as far as blaming Stewart, neither would I. I was merely referring to the ease with which this incident can now be quietly shelved legally - Ward was "stoned", therefore he was culpable, so no case for Stewart to answer. What irritates me about it is that by waving the "MerriWanna" flag, no further questions will probably be asked about the safety procedures at the circuit, or the race organisation - the whole thing can be bundled up in a "drugs are bad - look at what can happen to you" package. It just reeks to me of the establishment finding a way of not looking too closely at what actually happened, is all.

Last edited:
Drug policies do exist and are enforced in American racing but I'm not sure how well they are enforced in lower level racing. In NASCAR drug tests can be ordered from drivers based on reasonable suspicion, and drivers have been suspended before. Jeremy Mayfield was banned for life for multiple drugs including meth and is now an addict, and Shane Hmiel was banned for marijuana and cocaine. In a much more well-known case A.J. Allmendinger was suspended for Adderall use, and moved to IndyCar part-time as a result. He is back in NASCAR though.

Actually, I would think that it will raise LOTS of questions about the race organization. How can someone that is "under the influence" have been allowed to race?

I also think that since, IMO, the decision makes it impossible for the Ward family to sue Stewart which has been their intent, they will now seek to sue the track and organizers. That may bring a lot more unsavory items to light.

I don't think there's anything to stop a civil suit, it is the criminal case that has been turned down. I expect a civil suit that will be quietly settled out of court. It wouldn't be difficult for a lawyer to tell a jury that Stewart is a hothead, there's plenty of footage to support that. The majority of the blame sits squarely on Ward, I don't think there's any question of that, I don't think it's clear that Stewart is totally blameless, and that's what the case would focus on. As I say, as long as the family doesn't ask for silly money I think this'll be quietly settled.

Last edited:
Stewart is absolutely, totally blameless. He was one driver in a very large field of Sprintcars. All these drivers would have had some degree of impaired vision, waiting until the race went green before ripping off a tear-off. Stewart was following another car very closely when it swerved to miss Ward, Stewart had almost no time to react accelerating left was his only option. Has anyone on this site that feels Stewart is partly to blame ever driven an 800hp Sprintcar. They're bloody terrifying, just listening to one as it blips it's throttle to warn you it's coming scares the living hell out of you. The last thing any driver expects to see on a poorly lit dirt oval is a driver in a dark racing suit, on foot, walking out towards the racing line into the path of circulating Sprintcars. No civil suit would be successful.

Stewart is absolutely, totally blameless.
I agree with that 100% there is only one person at fault and that isn't Stewart..

And one thing on hot headedness, do Americans actually believe the shit that goes on talk wise before a wresting match? it is put in for entertainment I'm sorry it that bursts your bubble and the same thing goes for Stewarts antics..

Your opinions on Stewart's innocence are noted, and may even be correct, if only your testimony was considered binding in law ... The civil case, if one is started, will be settled to make it go away with the least amount of visibility, it is simply the way these things are done here. Stewart's sponsors will want it gone and would likely contribute. Again, that is how it is done. Who would eventually win is irrelevant compared to the negative PR and legal costs.

Back
Top Bottom