Driver involvement in overtaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
So back to the World Passenger Championship then. Cars built and designed for the Playstation generation.

As opposed to the current series witch is the World Passenger Aero Rubber-line Chicane Parade Championship.
The new cars might actually allow some passing.
The awesome skills of Vettle winning the WDC because Alonso and Webber we stuck were just awsome.
Awesome awesome awesome driving skills.

The good ol' active ride allowed Senna to put up fight against the superior Williams Renault in 1993, and shockingly a bit more passes were happening in the top 10.
Hopefully that will return.

The good ol' active ride allowed Senna to put up fight against the superior Williams Renault in 1993, and shockingly a bit more passes were happening in the top 10.

a) I thought you said drivers had little to do with the result
b) Under the same rules in 1992 it didn't!

I don't really understand it.
What goal posts were moved ?!

So, let me get this straight.

You want the good clean slipstreaming overtaking from the 1950's/60's/70's where the drivers didn't have the "art" of overtaking yet drove balls out in flaming death traps until they banned refuelling with all the modern computerised driver aids that you can find in modern road cars such as TC, ABS, but with turbos, active ride, ground effect and all the modern safety developments made in the last 25 years, yet you don't want a spec series as that is offensive to the true "racefan" (aside from the cars in F1 are all designed to the same specs)

Does that cover all the bases or would you car to shift opinion once again.

Basically chap, it comes across that you have an idea Formula locked up in your head and if only it could be unleashed it would be *the most AWESOME series in the world*.

Have you tried pitching your idea to Mr B Ecclestone, can't miss him, short hair, glasses, about 2 foot tall.

*Clarkson mode on

You want the good clean slipstreaming overtaking from the 1950's/60's/70's where the drivers didn't have the "art" of overtaking yet drove balls out in flaming death traps until they banned refuelling with all the modern computerised driver aids that you can find in modern road cars such as TC, ABS, but with turbos, active ride, ground effect and all the modern safety developments made in the last 25 years, yet you don't want a spec series as that is offensive to the true "racefan" (aside from the cars in F1 are all designed to the same specs)

Basically chap, it comes across that you have an idea Formula locked up in your head and if only it could be unleashed it would be *the most AWESOME series in the world*.

Have you tried pitching your idea to Mr B Ecclestone, can't miss him, short hair, glasses, about 2 foot tall.

*Clarkson mode on

Spesh, that was the best laugh I've had in ages ROFL

This reminds me of listening to Joe Walsh live.
blink.gif

*Clarkson mode on

1].
Fangio never said anything about driving balls out, he said he always won by going as slow as possible (the only exception being the 57 Nurburgring race).

Many/ most drivers were not in the mold of G. Villeneuve or B. Rosemeyer.
One of then, the great R. Caracciola, even predicted that Rosemeyer would die due to his balls out attitude/ approach.

And the cars (with much lower reliability and no safety), engines and tires wouldn't stand much of a balls out approach.

Most of the old drivers were Alain Prost types, and as D. Gurney (and others) have said they would not block an overtaking move even if this meant losing a race (there were some exceptions).

Avoiding an incident/ accident (with potential bad consequences for drivers and/or spectators) and trying not to set a bad example, was the code by witch these racers lived.

2].
In 1993 F1 had active rides (with TC, ABS, AS), while CART Indycar had GE and turbos, and both had different/various chassis and powerplants.
Mixing them up would have been awesome (and adding some new stuff as well).

Time for a Monty Python moment....

A man walks into an office.
Man: (Michael Palin) Ah. I'd like to have an argument, please.
Receptionist: Certainly sir. Have you been here before?
Man: No, this is my first time.
Receptionist: I see. Well, do you want to have the full argument, or were you thinking of taking a course?
Man: Well, what would be the cost?
Receptionist: Well, It's one pound for a five minute argument, but only eight pounds for a course of ten.
Man: Well, I think it's probably best if I start with the one and then see how it goes from there, okay?
Receptionist: Fine. I'll see who's free at the moment.
(Pause)
Receptionist: Mr. DeBakey's free, but he's a little bit conciliatory. Ahh yes, Try Mr. Barnard; room 12.
Man: Thank you. (Walks down the hall. Opens door.)
Angry man: WHADDAYOU WANT?
Man: Well, Well, I was told outside that...
Angry man: DON'T GIVE ME THAT, YOU SNOTTY-FACED HEAP OF PARROT DROPPINGS!
Man: What?
A: SHUT YOUR FESTERING GOB, YOU TIT! YOUR TYPE MAKES ME PUKE! YOU VACUOUS TOFFEE-NOSED MALODOROUS PERVERT!!!
M: Yes, but I came here for an argument!!
A: OH! Oh! I'm sorry! This is abuse!
M: Oh! Oh I see!
A: Aha! No, you want room 12A, next door.
M: Oh...Sorry...
A: Not at all!
A: (under his breath) stupid git.
(The man goes into room 12A. Another man is sitting behind a desk.)
Man: Is this the right room for an argument?
Other Man:(John Cleese) I've told you once.
Man: No you haven't!
Other Man: Yes I have.
M: When?
O: Just now.
M: No you didn't!
O: Yes I did!
M: You didn't!
O: I did!
M: You didn't!
O: I'm telling you, I did!
M: You did not!
O: Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?
M: Ah! (taking out his wallet and paying) Just the five minutes.
O: Just the five minutes. Thank you.
O: Anyway, I did.
M: You most certainly did not!
O: Now let's get one thing quite clear: I most definitely told you!
M: Oh no you didn't!
O: Oh yes I did!
M: No you DIDN'T!
M: Oh look, this isn't an argument!
(pause)
O: Yes it is!
M: No it isn't!
(pause)
M: It's just contradiction!

"East is east and west is west and never the 'twain shall meet. However, if two 'twains meet, you will have a 'twain weck."
That's Kipling (sort of). I was thinking more along these lines:

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers might not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain
"Never argue with a fool, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Woody Allen

How extraordinary! I quoted my Romanian grandfather but deleted it because I thought it might be a little to obviously inflamatory:

Three basic rules for life. One, if you eat like a bird and poop like an elephant, you WILL turn yourself inside out. Two, sometimes you have to look across the table and let the other fellow know that it's time to go #@%$ himself. Three, NEVER argue with an idiot--people looking on won't know which is which.

As far as I was concerned, drivers actually pressed the accelerator and brake pedals, steered the car and changed gears, so I would say they were fairly involved in overtaking as last time I checked cars dont overtake by themselves....

You'll have to blame me for the thread title. The original posts were in the 2011 season discussion thread and we (the mods) felt they would be better placed in there own thread.

You'll have to blame me for the thread title. The original posts were in the 2011 season discussion thread and we (the mods) felt they would be better placed in there own thread.

Yeah, you don't want to stick DOF_power to a thread title, he'd have to argue the same question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom