Driver involvement in overtaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it before, production car electronics would easily eliminate many buttons (active ride era). F1 is too cramped with 1950s/ 60s technology.

You know what, I really think it's time to agree to disagree, and move on - a mutual enthusiasm for motorsport is not a sound basis for such venom!

You know what, I really think it's time to agree to disagree, and move on - a mutual enthusiasm for motorsport is not a sound basis for such venom!

On the contrary, enthusiasm for true motorsport is a perfectly resonale basis, since I don't see any motorsport.
Until on track passing becomes easy again, innovation is allowed, race-cars become once again relevant and connected to production cars (present or future) and symbolism without substance is thrown to the garbage bin (no more art forms, myths and other such B*), in other words until racing returns to its roots, I stand by my venomous views.

DOF_power,

Why should racing 'return to its roots'? Just for the sake of it? And what does that mean anyway?
Should NASCAR drivers return to running bootleg whisky across town, with some chasing police cars thrown in?
Should Indy/Champ Car racing return to a predominantly point-to-point format?
Should Formula 1 Grands Prix make a similar return to road races from one town to the next?
Things evolve and change all the time.

We have just witnessed something potentially truly innovative in Renault's blown front diffuser, yet there is no mention or discussion of that from you on the 2011 cars thread; just one, typically negative comment posted after the Ferrari had been launched.

Are NASCAR, Indy, Le Mans, WRC or any other racing cars relevant and connected to production cars? And why should they be anyway?

DOF_power,

Why should racing 'return to its roots'? Just for the sake of it? And what does that mean anyway?
Are NASCAR, Indy, Le Mans, WRC or any other racing cars relevant and connected to production cars? And why should they be anyway?

When I mean roots I mean motorsport as an R&D platform for some relevant production car technology, and once in a while actually produce passing between 2 cars separated by at least 0.5 seconds.

Why ?!
Who's gonna pay for it and who's gonna watch it ?
The world has changed, and all sponsors and (potential or currently involved) manufacturers want an environmentally friendly and production car relevant image.

Racing will have to change by going back to its roots, or die.

And, NASCAR, or stock car racing for that matter wasn't started by bootleggers (who were a minority), that's just a myth. There was stock car racing in the even south before the prohibition. And at any given race only handful or so of the racers were bootleggers.

Make up your mind. You hark back to the days of old when such aids did not exist and now you are saying they are beneficial? Which is it, I can't keep track? :rolleyes:

I guess it depends which head he's put on that morning :?:

I've explained myself, I want the grass roots motorsport "spirit" and on track overtaking, not the technology or idiocracies of old or a time machine.
You're never going to get what you want.

The sooner you accept that and move on, the better it will be for all involved.

I've explained myself, I want the grass roots motorsport "spirit" and on track overtaking, not the technology or idiocracies of old or a time machine.
Nothing much would beat the Tardis and you can't get much older than that, nor could anything overtake it - just a fact of life :). But, obviously, full of technology and idiocyncracies!

You're never going to get what you want.

The sooner you accept that and move on, the better it will be for all involved.

Oh, but racing is changing, or going extinct (depending on the series).

Ground effects, KERS and turbos are returning (and even AWD is mentioned, but via KERS).
I just hope I won't be old by the time active suspension and TC also return.

I'm complaining about the pace of change.

Can you humour me, just for a moment, and list all the things you want from a racing series. i.e. hardware, driver aids, performance, etc. Just so we have it one place and can quote it every now and again when you change your stance.

This argument is, in the words of Phil Daniels (or should that be Damon Albarn?), a bit like joggers and NASCAR;

it goes round and round and round... :bored:

Oh, but racing is changing, or going extinct (depending on the series).

Ground effects, KERS and turbos are returning (and even AWD is mentioned, but via KERS).
I just hope I won't be old by the time active suspension and TC also return.

I'm complaining about the pace of change.

So back to the World Passenger Championship then. Cars built and designed for the Playstation generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom