Driver Complaints over new Rubber: Great News?

Grizzly

Bear
Contributor
I think so.

The more i hear many of them commenting, the better. I am really looking forward to tyres that, given too much abuse will simply crumble, force the drivers to adapt and then fall apart anyway
smile.gif

Its another variable and variables are what we need. This could just add the Bhut Jolokia we need. Sure it will leave many drivers flaming at the mouth, but we'll be treated to an extra degree of evolving skill.

Your thoughts?

I think it's great news for everyone except Pirelli. How their marketing people are going to massage the drivers into not complaining about their product I do not know...

It could be a good thing, although I'd prefer to see skill win races, not the car and driver's ability to nurse a set of tyres.

I'd rather see someone sliding and correcting any day of the week, than someone driving around a corner as it it's on rails to avoid any unnecessary wear.
Maybe that's just me though :dunno:

If the teams run out of tyres before the race starts due to the limitations on the number of sets they can use, then that would be a bad thing.

I think its great news.It is exactly what we asked for.This was the mandate that Pirelli were given to fulfil.
That is precisely what they have done.

I don't think drivers, particularly those not winning, will be moaning incessantly anyway.

Having said that:

KekeTheKing 2010

Lets keep positive!

I think it's great news for everyone except Pirelli. How their marketing people are going to massage the drivers into not complaining about their product I do not know...
I know, but I'd hope that the FIA, the media and the 10,000 team members voices are a little louder on the positives than the 24 drivers...

It could be a good thing, although I'd prefer to see skill win races, not the car and driver's ability to nurse a set of tyres.

I'd rather see someone sliding and correcting any day of the week, than someone driving around a corner as it it's on rails to avoid any unnecessary wear.
Maybe that's just me though :dunno:

If the teams run out of tyres before the race starts due to the limitations on the number of sets they can use, then that would be a bad thing.

I was going to mention allocations etc in the OP but neglected to do so. Its a good point that will need addressing i fear or we will have some pretty dull Fri/Sat mornings.....

Id hope that your other concerns simply do not materialise. There is no point (i hope) of nursing the tyres for 30+ laps because you will have wasted more than a stops worth of time (hopefully). (remember Lewis nearly nearly doing it this in 09, three stopping, nearly catching Button on a two stopper, that was all on super consistent Bridgestones!). So the sliding and correcting could well actually happen 15+ laps into your tyres you get off the racing line, covered in expelled Pirelli chunks.... Its all speculation but...

A few drivers have also been commenting about extra marbles off-line - thus potentially making overtaking more difficult...
J

Is this / can this be worse? See I wonder if, once there are marbles, there are marbles. Or is this a sliding scale....? (pun not intended but ill go with it)

Marbles are not an issue.They accummalate on the outside of corners.By the time you are on the marbles you are so far offline that you couldn't pass anyone anyway.
Handy things in racing marbles.On the slowing down lap you can pick up around 3kg by picking up the marbles if your a bit tight on minimum weight.

Can't see the video for some reason?? big white space.
Which browser are you using?
Firefox I presume? Looks like it doesn't like the embed code for some reason, even though it's standard code and works in Chrome and IE.
Don't you just love browser inconsistencies
rolleyes.gif

Should work now.
I just changed the code from object tags to an iframe, so it should also work on iPhones, Androids, etc.

I'm not totally "au fait" with Pirelli's remit - but it would strike me as odd that they had been asked to create tyres that weren't fit for purpose. Given that there are rules regarding number and compounds to be used in each race, this is a tad unfair for the drivers - a bit like pouring oil on a MotoGP circuit.

Do the powers that be really have to resort to this type of artifice to "enhance" the sport they have shackled?

Unfortunately Formula One brakes are extremely efficient, tear up tyres and deposit marbles in braking zones. They sit there just off line, right where you want to brake late to overtake. Ergo marbles are not helpful if you want to promote overtaking.

Do the powers that be really have to resort to this type of artifice to "enhance" the sport they have shackled?

Like moveable rear wings Jen?
whistle.gif

Sounds to me like the designers carried on where they left off with Bridgestone and it'll be the first team to sort the suspension geometery etc. that will steal a lead on the others.

So many innovations to increase spectacle - how far back do we have to go to see true driver skill?

Racing and drivers - that's all I'm really interested in - DOFpower mk?

Back
Top Bottom