Double Points in the Final Race

FIA F1 World Championship regulation changes - in full

The full statement issued today by the FIA F1 press office:

FIA Formula One World Championship - Formula One Regulation Changes

Following a meeting of the F1 Strategy Group and the Formula One Commission in Paris today, the following items have been unanimously approved:

Cost cap:
The principle of a global cost cap has been adopted. The limit will be applied from January 2015.

A working group will be established within the coming days comprising the FIA, representatives of the Commercial Rights Holder and Team representatives.

The objective of the working group will be to have regulations approved by the end of June 2014.

Pirelli tyre test – Bahrain, 17-19 December, 2013:
The F1 Commission agreed to a change to the 2013 Sporting Regulations, on safety grounds, allowing the Formula One tyre supplier to carry out a three-day test in Bahrain from 17-19 December, 2013. All Formula One teams have been invited to take part in the test and six have accepted: Red Bull Racing, Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren, Force India and Toro Rosso.

Driver numbers:
Drivers will be asked to choose their race number, between 2 and 99, for the duration of their career in the FIA Formula One World Championship. Number 1 will be reserved for the current World Champion, should he choose to use it.

If more than one driver chooses the same number, priority will be given to the driver who finished highest in the previous year's championship.

New penalties:
The principle of a five-second penalty for minor infringements was agreed. In what form such a penalty will be applied will be discussed with Formula One's teams in order that a new regulation be introduced for 2014 season.

Points for last race:
Double drivers' and constructors' points will be awarded at the final race of the Formula One season in order to maximise focus on the Championship until the end of the campaign.

These changes are immediately applicable, given the mandate assigned to the FIA President at the last World Motor Sport Council meeting, held on 4 December in Paris.

Personally I think most of the above rules changes are over due. Especially the cost cap. Also loving the driver number rule. Shame they haven't got a rule that the number should be large and promanent.

Rather bizaar that Lotus didn't want to be at the tyre test. Is money so tight they can't afford to go testing?

The double points thing is a bit of a gimmick but It would of kept the championship alive for longer this year. But yeh rather gimmicky. Andrew Benson said it would of made 3 changes of world champion over the last 11 years. Lots of anger on twitter. Me not to fussed just seems like a bit of a cheap gimmick.

Last edited:
I think that does it for me. I wasn't really following F1 this year and I am now seriously considering to completely forget about it. I'm sad, shocked and devastated at the same time. How can anybody actually believe that this will make more people follow the sport. Honestly I am stunned in disbelief about the amount of incompetence, arrogance and stupidity displayed by the FIA. There is almost nothing good about F1 anymore.
R.I.P. Formula 1

Bernie loves to make everyone interested in F1 remember awarding medals which was scrapped 3 days before 2009 season started because it required a time for all teams to veto if they did not agree- rules Bernie put in

Remember the idea of short cuts to create overtaking opportunities

-------------

Double points I guess it their way of doing something different to Nascar who do a top 6 shoot out race

Also it suppose to be stop the lead drivers being conservative supposedly racing for minor points
-------------

Cost cap - Notice the previous resource restriction agreement had been vetoed by Red Bull and guess who's been dominating the last few years :whistle:

siffert_fan Not really seeing Ferrari are owned by Fiat group and get their money from Santander and Marlboro at a time when Italy and Spain are not doing economically well

Red Bull have been most vocal against the RRA especially it is disputed their money is not restricted seeing it is a marketing brand and gets it from other advertising and marketing streams

gethinceri Drivers with numbers is no different to riders with numbers in MotoGP

Clearly Bernie is thinking F1 should market drivers with numbers like Mansell and Red 5 as it was

as MotoGP you've got Rossi with No 46, Schwantz with No 34 and Capirossi with 65 etc

Back
Top Bottom