Does Michael Schumacher's return affect Kimi Raikkonen?

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
I was just wondering what the knock-on effects were of Schumacher coming back to F1, specifically with regards to Kimi Räikkönen.

His sabbatical was apparently just for 1 year due to him not being able to agree terms with one of the big teams.

Come 2011 however, there will be no seats available at any of the "big" teams; Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull or Mercedes (apparently MS' contract is a 3 year deal).
And even if there were, I can't see Kimi willing to drive as a No.2 to Schumacher, Hamilton, Alonso (not that Ferrari would take him back), etc.

I said it at the time, but I think Kimi's F1 career could be in trouble now, all because he wanted an unrealistic pay packet.

To be honest I think we have seen the last of Kimi Raikkonen in F1 any way.

As you say Bro, now that all the cards have been dealt and the seats at the top table have been taken there is no room for a stroppy Fin and his demands.

Kimi had the opportunity with one of the best teams on the Grid. He won a WDC (however it came, it's his name on the cup) and then seemed to loose all motivation. Ferrari don't sack drivers if they are any good and Kimi's time with the team had run it's course.

If you ask the question "would you be excited by the prospect of Kimi returning to F1 next year" I think in most cases the answer would be "nope".

So cherio Kimi. Good luck in the world of Rally and have fun at Le Mans and DTM in the next couple of years.

I also think we have probably seen the last of Kimi in F1, I hope he does well in rallying, he priced himself out of the market.

I think Schumacher's return more affects the younger drivers like Vettel and Kubica, since he's taking up one of the top drives in a prestigous team, they will find it harder to progress up the career ladder.

cider_and_toast said:
To be honest I think we have seen the last of Kimi Raikkonen in F1 any way.

As you say Bro, now that all the cards have been dealt and the seats at the top table have been taken there is no room for a stroppy Fin and his demands.

Kimi had the opportunity with one of the best teams on the Grid. He won a WDC (however it came, it's his name on the cup) and then seemed to loose all motivation. Ferrari don't sack drivers if they are any good and Kimi's time with the team had run it's course.

If you ask the question "would you be excited by the prospect of Kimi returning to F1 next year" I think in most cases the answer would be "nope".

So cherio Kimi. Good luck in the world of Rally and have fun at Le Mans and DTM in the next couple of years.

agree, plus he has the money too.

maybe a small detail, the reason why ferrari chose nando over kimi seems to have to do with the possibility to talk to the mechanics and improve the car from there. kimi does not seem to be able to do that.

It certainly seems like a long way back from here but there is Red Bull to consider... :thinking:

They may well lose the services of Sebastian Vettel in the near future, Mercedes are dead keen to get him, as are a number of others. That opens up one prime seat...

Who's to say one of the new teams doesn't start turning heads and if the cosworth engine isn't up to the job, they may well secure a better engine and become an attractive proposition.

Renault may turn a corner now that they are free to pursue technical excellence and not the whims of an Italian playboy...

There are a number of possibilities, probabilities and Kimi isn't going to stay in Rallying for long unless it miraculously becomes interesting and competitive. Something that it has resolutely failed to do in recent years...

He'll get the bug back and he'll figure out that money is not an issue. He's a racer damn it and we don't have to look far to see what lunacy that will drive people too!

I suppose it was just a few people pointing out that his contract was now breakable and suggesting that the team may not be up too much without the full support of Renault. :bored:

I shouldn't think it will affect Raikkonen's future too much - unless, of course, Schumi decides the return is not really for him and after a disappointing 2010 decides to use the next 2 years at Mercedes in a consultancy/test driver/ambassadorial role.

The way I see it ; if he enjoys it and does a respectable job, he'll stay in WRC. If he finds it's not for him, he'll go back to hunting for an F1 team to join [the most likely of which is surely Red Bull?].

I'm afraid to say as a massive Raikkonen fan, I can't see him coming back. You could really see that during the rally of Finland, the way he was communicating with journalists and such, he looked so much more relaxed and happy. Ultimately a guy of his talent will have numerous options to choose from, and he's in a privileged position to go where he thinks he'll find enjoyment, since there'll almost always be someone somewhere willing to take a driver of his calibre. Whether that's WRC, F1 or Le Mans in the future, good luck to him.

Enja said:
I shouldn't think it will affect Raikkonen's future too much - unless, of course, Schumi decides the return is not really for him and after a disappointing 2010 decides to use the next 2 years at Mercedes in a consultancy/test driver/ambassadorial role.

The way I see it ; if he enjoys it and does a respectable job, he'll stay in WRC. If he finds it's not for him, he'll go back to hunting for an F1 team to join [the most likely of which is surely Red Bull?].

I'm afraid to say as a massive Raikkonen fan, I can't see him coming back. You could really see that during the rally of Finland, the way he was communicating with journalists and such, he looked so much more relaxed and happy. Ultimately a guy of his talent will have numerous options to choose from, and he's in a privileged position to go where he thinks he'll find enjoyment, since there'll almost always be someone somewhere willing to take a driver of his calibre. Whether that's WRC, F1 or Le Mans in the future, good luck to him.

What he said^ :thumbsup: well besides the fact that he will succeed in WRC and don't see him begging a place in F1 ever. During his years in F1 he did show that F1 still can have a gentleman as a winning driver, considering all the bullshit and backstabbing other winners have shown last years. I salute Kimi :D

I think he'll relish not facing Martin Brundle on the grid...

Sakari said:
What he said^ well besides the fact that he will succeed in WRC and don't see him begging a place in F1 ever. During his years in F1 he did show that F1 still can have a gentleman as a winning driver, considering all the bullshit and backstabbing other winners have shown last years. I salute Kimi

A non-Finnish +1 to that.

Back
Top Bottom