Do we need Valencia?

Which circuit(s) would you like to see back on the calendar?

• Total voters
So far, Valencia was the only Grand Prix I would have happily missed, and it is only the 'glamour' that keeps it on the calendar.

The poll above is to select which circuit(s) you would prefer to see back on the calendar?

They should dump Valencia, and stage the Caesar's Palace GP again in a Las Vegas car-park. Now that was a proper street circuit! :twisted:

I'm going for the Red Bull Ring for the vote, but to answer the question:

No. No. No. No. Emphatically and a million times no.

it is only the 'glamour' that keeps it on the calendar.

What 'glamour'? Its not even glamourous! That is the excuse which keeps Monaco on the circuit, and fair enough, it is glamourous and if thats your cup of tea then fine! But this area doesn't have that!

It is a monstrosity of a circuit, the worst example of trying to be something else. Its trying to be both Monaco and Montreal with the result that it is neither.

What image comes to your mind when someone says Valencia? Blue wall, blue wall, blue wall, bridge, blue wall, blue wall, blue wall, ridiculous pit entry, blue wall...

And maybe Webber vaulting a Lotus.

So, basically, we don't need Valencia, we don't want Valencia and quite frankly we'd be better off had the idea never been born.

I think everyone knows it only made it onto the calendar because Valencia saw the Alonsomania and thought they would make a profit, however with them losing money it doesn't look good and it won't go as I think it's highly unlikely that Bernie will release them from their contract while they line his pockets. As for the track it's fun to drive on F1 2010 but other than that it's really poor with no clear opportunities to overtake and has no character like Monaco or a niche like Singapore.

Well strictly speaking we don't actually NEED any circuit at all.

Sure Valencia has never been noted for either close fighting or position changes but to call a monstrosity any more than any other circuit is just ridiculous.
Personally I find it quite eye-pleasing to have tracks by the coast. Always nice to see glimps of the sea.

Silverstone since its revamp in 1991 has never been noted for close racing either.

So I asm asking here, "do we really need Silverstone"?

It's not just Bernie who enjoys two races in Spain - Flavio get's all the TV money so expect it to be on the calender for many years.

Well strictly speaking we don't actually NEED any circuit at all.

Point taken.

Sure Valencia has never been noted for either close fighting or position changes but to call a monstrosity any more than any other circuit is just ridiculous.

The only thing that is ridiculous is that someone thought racing round a dock was a good idea when they weren't making a Mario Kart style video game.

Personally I find it quite eye-pleasing to have tracks by the coast. Always nice to see glimps of the sea.

OK, you've got that. You've got Monaco. Singapore. Suzuka at a push. And Montreal's on a river. Anything positive Valencia offers is found elsewhere.

OK but the point I was making was that Valencia is far from the only circuit on the calenda where overtaking is very difficult or where cars find it difficult following each other so I really don't know why everyone's jumping on the "knock Valencia bandwagon...

So I repeat my earlier question DO WE REALLY NEED SILVERSTONE?

After 4 races here and they all have been very poor, not below par, but nearly dismal means that it has to go. I watched the BBC F1 forum, there were lot of complaints about the circuit, and I am very confused on how Martin Brundle and Eddie Jordan defended the circuit.

I also find the circuit quite an eyesore, the yellow orange apex's, the blue colour everywhere, the green lines off track, and a lot of run off.

To replace the circuit it was between the A1-Ring and Fuji, I went for Fuji as the two years it held the races recently, they where thoroughly enjoyable unlike Valencia, plus it has the weather factor. I am unsure on the A1-Ring as people are saying cars may have out grown Monaco, what about the A1-Ring?

OK but the point I was making was that Valencia is far from the only circuit on the calenda where overtaking is very difficult or where cars find it difficult following each other so I really don't know why everyone's jumping on the "knock Valencia bandwagon...

So I repeat my earlier question DO WE REALLY NEED SILVERSTONE?

We need a British Grand Prix. We don't need two Spanish Grands Prix.

I think there are bits of the track which are really nice (sector 3 looks cool on board).

There are some fundamental issues though around the swing bridge. I don't much like the first few corners either but it was obvious how T8/9/10 strung the field out and that is what led to the procession, I think. If they could just reduce the radius of T8 to less than 90 deg (removing T9 altogether) and then open up the exit of 10 to allow cars to get on the power, it could make a massive difference.

Maybe they should make it a bit more interesting by keeping the bridge half-open, so that the cars would would jump and land on the other side Dukes Of Hazard- style?

What image comes to your mind when someone says Valencia? Blue wall, blue wall, blue wall, bridge, blue wall, blue wall, blue wall, ridiculous pit entry, blue wall...

I see your point but I think of green tarmac, blue tarmac, multicoloured tarmac.

Well yeah. I meant figuratively. Most decisions in F1 are money motivated. It's just a shame that business decisions are occasionally at the expense of the sporting element of F1, especially decisions of this magnitude.

Back
Top Bottom