NASCAR Debacle at the Daytona 500

KekeTheKing

Banned
Supporter
So after a 30 hour delay, the good ol' boys went exactly 1 full lap before a wreck that took out a couple cars, damaging several others. The next 130 laps went more or less as expected with passes and cautions en mass, but then things went wild.

Trying to catch up to the field under caution, JP Montoya's car broke and he careened into a truck that is used for blowing/drying the track. These things carry jet engines, and the 200 plus gallons of jet fuel necessary to run them. Well, needless to say, mayhem ensued. A fire erupted that would have done some early F1 blazes proud. Several track marshals were trying to put out this conflagration with your standard extinguisher. Obviously the fire kept going until it burned itself out, at least 10 minutes.

Watching NASCAR makes me long for the Formula One circus to start again.

So after a 30 hour delay, the good ol' boys went exactly 1 full lap before a wreck that took out a couple cars, damaging several others. The next 130 laps went more or less as expected with passes and cautions en mass, but then things went wild.

Trying to catch up to the field under caution, JP Montoya's car broke and he careened into a truck that is used for blowing/drying the track. These things carry jet engines, and the 200 plus gallons of jet fuel necessary to run them. Well, needless to say, mayhem ensued. A fire erupted that would have done some early F1 blazes proud. Several track marshals were trying to put out this conflagration with your standard extinguisher. Obviously the fire kept going until it burned itself out, at least 10 minutes.

Watching NASCAR makes me long for the Formula One circus to start again.

Sorry, after that fire, how was the track not buckled and damaged? I'm amazedd that they managed to re-start the race after that debacle!

Sorry, after that fire, how was the track not buckled and damaged? I'm amazedd that they managed to re-start the race after that debacle!

I was sure the race was over at that point too. Incredibly the surface held up. They brought out a forklift to get the truck off the track without dragging it. They cleaned the surface with Tide (a clothes washing agent), watered it down, then applied some sort of bonding material on top. The whole process took over two hours. The final 35 laps were actually a bit anti-climactic after that.

"Passes en masse" is certainly something totally lacking in F1.

Not according to a growing segment of this forum.

bloody nora! They like a bit of danger in the US!

Oh and for those of you wondering about Danica Patrick - out on lap 2! although she did rejoing on lap 66 to test the car.

Back
Top Bottom